U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 56,273 times

Advertisements

Hello, I plan on relocating to McDonough, GA this coming summer from Newton, Massachuesetts. I will relocate with my two small kids and my husdand. I rethinking moving because of all the bad things that I have heard about GA. Can you please let me know what life is trully like in Henry county, or the McDonough area? What are the schools really like? What are people really like? I've visisted several times, but I feel that a group of people who don't really know me can give me the real truth about this area. Thank you and I appreciate your honest opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 147,237 times
Default I've lived in Henry county for 6mons....

I relocated here from NJ. Georgia ranks 40th. so it is important to choose wisely since the schools here are inferior. My kids are older but, from what I've learned the best school would be Union Grove HS and middle school. I don't know about elementary schools but, go to www.great (broken link) schools.net. You can look at demographics, scores and parent ratings based on county or towns. It helped me alot.
Henry county is quickly growing. You will get more home for your money in Henry county than in places that are already developed. You can still get new contruction, too. They are building like crazy and everyone claims this going to be the next great place to live. Right now, it's not overcrowded little weekend traffic here and there. I've been told that most people live in northern Georgia and there's lots of traffic there. Commuting is easier travelling south than it is travelling north of Atlanta. I am still torn as to where to buy a home and I may eventually buy in Cobb county which is north of the city of Atlanta simply because it is more developed. I just can't shake the city girl in me. Hope it helps!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 56,273 times
Default Please tell me about Mcdonough, GA

Thank you for your thoughts. I've also heard about the Union Groove schools. My kids would be in elementary when we get there. We're looking into buying a home in Welesley Lakes and I just don't want to make a huge mistake by moving my kids for nothing.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 PM

129 posts, read 579,789 times
No, no, no DO NOT BUY into ANY area that feeds into wesley lakes Es, Henry MS or High.... I wish I knew about this site before we moved here from the midwest... Don't get me wrong , I am sure there are alot of nice subdivisions that feed into Wesley lakes, but if you look at any tets scores etc.. Wesley Lakes ranks at the bottom.. It is also a title 1 school has ALOT of low income subsidize students..There are a ton of apartments in that area that also feed into that school, that is one reason it is so bad...
Personally if you have small elementary age kids, I would only focus on East lake or Ola or at least make sure your middle school/high school is going to be Ola or Union grove.. Just my 2 cents..
If you are coming from an area that has good school out East, prepare yourself the schools here are nothing like the midwest or East coast!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,902 times
Default Also moving to Mcdonough this year

We are also moving to Henry county/Mcdonough this year. I have also heard that ola and east lake were some of the best. Is there a difference between UNITY GROVE and UNION GROVE??? I have seen some houses that list UNITY GROVE and UNION GROVE??

Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM

129 posts, read 579,789 times
Yes, Unity grove is in Locust grove. Union grove is a middle and high school. the other elementary school in that area is East Lake.

Unity grove is suppose to be good fairly new, not sure how diverse it is yet, if that matters to you? Not sure tho the middle or high that it feeds into. I think it might be luella and that is not that great compared to Union grove or ola..

Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,905 times
Talking Union Grove

[CENTER]I`m a student at Union Grove High . I love it . I also think the area is great . If you ask other students' opinions they'll fib and say they hate Union Grove ; or they hate school it general . I'm telling you the truth . Thinking about moving to Henry County is a splendid idea. I heard the Elementary Scool located across from it (East Lake) is really good too . Union Grove Middle & High are two great schools you would want your children to grow up in . They are very clean & strive to get your children's education fulfilled . Also, people in Henry County are friendly, in my opinion. I love it down here & wouldn't move anywhere else. Sure, there's crimes in every county . But Henry County is no difference. It's one of Georgia's greatest counties to grow up in . I love Henry County & the people in there . :][/CENTER]

Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 AM

699 posts, read 2,302,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
I relocated here from NJ. Georgia ranks 40th. so it is important to choose wisely since the schools here are inferior. My kids are older but, from what I've learned the best school would be Union Grove HS and middle school. I don't know about elementary schools but, go to www.great (broken link) schools.net. You can look at demographics, scores and parent ratings based on county or towns. It helped me alot.
I love statements from experts about the schools...and this one even goes to the extreme to call schools in Georgia 'inferior'. I hope the orginal poster knows to ignore this statment. Anyone who makes a sweeping statement about the schools of an entire state isn't a credible source of information. Even making that statement about all the schools in a district is silly, because in a district with low scores on the standardized tests there are still some highly rated schools. You can be safe in choosing an individual school instead of a school district. I would even go as far as choosing an individual class or teacher and not worry about the school's rating, because that's the really important factor for your child. You could choose the best school on paper and still get a teacher who's having personal problems, teacher gives birth and the class ends up with a substitute for half the year, etc, etc...

I'm ranting now, but a statement like that one really grinds my gears. By the way, Henry County is one of the top 10 fastest growing counties in the U.S. and the southside does have a sizeable population. You'll realize it when you're sitting on I75 for an hour at 7:30 a.m.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 PM

154 posts, read 543,928 times
Are you sure you want to move from Newton, Mass to McDonough, GA? That's a BIG change if you know what I mean.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 29,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonTOGA View Post
Hello, I plan on relocating to McDonough, GA this coming summer from Newton, Massachuesetts. I will relocate with my two small kids and my husdand. I rethinking moving because of all the bad things that I have heard about GA. Can you please let me know what life is trully like in Henry county, or the McDonough area? What are the schools really like? What are people really like? I've visisted several times, but I feel that a group of people who don't really know me can give me the real truth about this area. Thank you and I appreciate your honest opinions.
I would definitely go with what sahm3 the other member says. Union Grove or Ola school districts. We live in the Union Grove school district and I have never had any problems. The high school, middle school, and elementary school are clustered in one spot so you don't have to worry so much about going to different locations. Our schools seem to have less problems than the Wesley lake school because like sahm3 said we don't have a lot of the lower income families in our district. Sad to say but it's true. Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 06-30-2007 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Advertising not allowed outside of Classifieds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or