U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 71,190 times

Advertisements

our neighbor's in florida recently moved to buford in gwinnett county. they told us how beautiful the area is. It sounds wonderful. is buford a good place to raise kids?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 03:59 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,198,219 times
Buford is not bad, it get's a slight rap for those who feel Buford is only on
Rt 20.
Personally, NE Buford is not bad and they will begin working soon on downtown re-development.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 45,862 times
Default buford is great

we just moved to Atlanta and choose Buford as our home....we love it! Its 40 minutes to downtown, and it lacks all the stuff most don't like about Atlanta - traffic in particular...in addition, Buford is one of the up and coming areas, so it's a guarenteed investment....we live about a mile from Lake Lanier, 2 miles from Buford Dam, and 20 minutes from the Georgia mountains! Downtown Buford is great, don't let some people scare you about the poverty....that has well since been on its way out, and the town itself has million dollar + houses lining the main drive that are nearly 100 years old. A lot of history here. For my money, it doesn't get any better, good luck!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM

276 posts, read 1,014,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by we love buford View Post
we just moved to Atlanta and choose Buford as our home....we love it! Its 40 minutes to downtown, and it lacks all the stuff most don't like about Atlanta - traffic in particular...in addition, Buford is one of the up and coming areas, so it's a guarenteed investment....we live about a mile from Lake Lanier, 2 miles from Buford Dam, and 20 minutes from the Georgia mountains! Downtown Buford is great, don't let some people scare you about the poverty....that has well since been on its way out, and the town itself has million dollar + houses lining the main drive that are nearly 100 years old. A lot of history here. For my money, it doesn't get any better, good luck!
Hi there,
I am looking into moving from SWFL(transplant from Boston origionally) and Buford is the top of my list. I have searched all kinds of forums, blogs and print and love what I see..Would you care to give me any suggestions/feedback/opinions on Buford. My family consists on myself, my husband and my daughter 11. Schools and quality of lifestyle and community are very important to us. We want our daughter to get a good education both in school in our home and town...Thanks so much..Loved your post...Lisa

Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,608,824 times
well, did you make the move??
if so hows it goin up there?
are you glad to be out of SWFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hi there,
I am looking into moving from SWFL(transplant from Boston origionally) and Buford is the top of my list. I have searched all kinds of forums, blogs and print and love what I see..Would you care to give me any suggestions/feedback/opinions on Buford. My family consists on myself, my husband and my daughter 11. Schools and quality of lifestyle and community are very important to us. We want our daughter to get a good education both in school in our home and town...Thanks so much..Loved your post...Lisa

Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,194 times
Don't do it, it really isn't a place to raise a family schools are over crowded with illegal's, gangs are growing so much to the point where they have a special gang unit in schools now. Trust me you don't want to move anywhere in the Gwinnett county area.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,159,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyspeaking View Post
Don't do it, it really isn't a place to raise a family schools are over crowded with illegal's, gangs are growing so much to the point where they have a special gang unit in schools now. Trust me you don't want to move anywhere in the Gwinnett county area.
Yep. There was a major bust of one of the gangs down there last week. I guess it got the gang members up here in my town riled up, because they went nuts over the weekend, tagging buildings in the "nice" shopping district of town. A window was broken out at the boarded up Sonic fast food place and the entire side of the building says "Sur-13"

LOVELY. I guess we didn't leave this mess behind in Orlando after all.

PS - The schools are just a mess all over. Anyone thinking of moving here should do some research into GA's proposed education cuts. Chopping 2 weeks off the school year (statewide) is just a warm up act here.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 13,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyans View Post
our neighbor's in florida recently moved to buford in gwinnett county. they told us how beautiful the area is. It sounds wonderful. is buford a good place to raise kids?
Yes, it can be. Don't plan on working in Atlanta. Your commute will be 1-2hours each way everyday plus the wrecks.

If Gwinnett schools have deteriorated as bad these posters say, skip to Hall or Forsythe county. They all right there together in Buford. Buford is nice place, you get the lake and mountains and the big mall close.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,444,789 times
The schools in Buford are not that bad. I can't really speak of Buford High, as it is a city school. However the other schools that serve unincorporated Buford aren't bad, and some people actually consider them quite adequate.
Let's all be careful of reading into posts from 'one-timers.'

Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,159,504 times
If you want the best schools, go to Forsyth County. NOT Hall County. Trust me, I live here. We are about to close an entire elementary school just to save money. If you want packed classrooms, come to Hall. I won't even get into our other issues. (well, except for that gang "beat in" at the middle school)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or