Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 PM

94 posts, read 390,062 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Atlanta in two weeks and am in the process of changing over all the utilities from our landlord to us in the house my wife and I are renting.

Any advice on which gas company to use? I'm from NYC and we only have Con Edison to choose from so I'm not use to having numerous choices. Our landlord uses Walton EMC Natural Gas. Does anyone have any feedback on them or any other companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,660,287 times
clarkhoward.com

Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Compare rates at Georgia Public Service Commission - choose Natural Gas in the left-hand menu, then follow links to find the price charts and other info.

The gas distributer, Atlanta Gas Light, has advice on choosing a marketer on their website, here Atlanta Gas Light Company - Establish Service - Choose A Marketer

There's no particular reason to choose the same marketer as your landlord was using, except that it looks like Walton has offered the cheapest variable rate plan for the last three months. But you should do your own research depending on what kind of plan you want, etc.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,190,151 times
We chose Walton Gas for our new townhome because of their low rates. I've also found they have great customer service.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM

525 posts, read 1,846,454 times
Walton

Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM

I'm curious about all this Walton enthusiasm. They've had the best rates for the last 3 months, but it's summer right now, when most people's gas consumption is less. For the 3 previous months (Jan, Feb and March) Fireside was about the cheapest, overall. I switched marketers from Georgia Natural Gas to Fireside in April, myself, based on the information available at the time. Does anyone have any insight into whether there's any reason to expect Walton to remain the cheapest marketer through next winter?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 PM

52 posts, read 225,960 times
I'm not sure but I use Scana gas and their rate went up per therm drastically.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM

894 posts, read 4,336,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Does anyone have any insight into whether there's any reason to expect Walton to remain the cheapest marketer through next winter?

I am curious too. I am still with GA natural gas, but have no allegiance to them. I am wondering if I should lock in a fixed rate, with no matter whom I go with.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
I am curious too. I am still with GA natural gas, but have no allegiance to them. I am wondering if I should lock in a fixed rate, with no matter whom I go with.
I'm interested in opinions on that too. I've always favored variable rates, on the theory that ultimately the company has to make a profit on whatever you pay, and since they are taking a risk by providing you with a locked-in rate, the locked-in rate inevitably includes a bit of a premium to offset their risk. But maybe there are other factors at play...?

One thing I did learn from switching from GNG to Fireside, is that you're allowed one free switch of marketers per year. I presume there must be a fee to switch more often than that.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM

21 posts, read 152,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Does anyone have any insight into whether there's any reason to expect Walton to remain the cheapest marketer through next winter?
Walton jumped up for the month of June (like others, I assume). No idea why they're lower than others or whether it will stick. There was one marketer - can't remember who, but it was in the AJC - who took their fixed pricing option off the table last month...

Very interested in more Walton feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta