U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:14 PM

16 posts, read 37,100 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

A new member here, so be gentle.

We're relocating to Georgia. My job is located near the Lennox Mall in Buckhead. I don't mind driving, as I do plenty of that already in Miami (13 miles takes me 1+ hours) and I know Atlanta has it's share of traffic.

My mission is to find a decent place to live outside the city, that gives me the best shot into the city. I'm a divorced parent and have two children who will be living in Georgia as well. I'm looking for a 3/2 home in the neighborhood of $140,000 - $160,000. I've received all kinds of opinions. My colleagues at work said to look at Powder Springs or Mableton. I'm pretty confused and would appreciate any and all opinions on where you think I should be looking.

Thank you so much!

scjr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,716,111 times
Your colleagues are steering you right and for that price, I think you might still be able to get an older home in Smyrna and be a good bit closer in.

If you are willing to widen your search, consider Douglasville and Villa Rica (head out I-20 west). I think that would be a good bet and still put you within an hour or less of Lenox. You might even get a new house for that price to our west. Commuting gets expensive, though.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Figment,

Thanks so very much for the information. I will be looking in the areas you mentioned.

Let's say I live 25 miles or so outside the city. I'm assuming the traffic will be worse for that last 10-12 miles or so? I drive the 1+ hour now and traffic is literally stop and go a good portion of the way. My significant other really wants more of a country setting, but reading through some of the archives it seems Atlanta is reaching out a ways.

Thanks again for your help!

Best Regards,

scjr

Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,716,111 times
My pleasure.

When traveling to Birmingham, Alabama Ė not during typical commuting hours, mind you! Ė I can get from the Buckhead/Lenox area to just beyond the Villa Rica exit on I-20 West in about an hour. Iíll pay more attention next time and let you know for sure. Let me emphasize once more that my experiences with this drive are only the occasional weekend or off-peak weekday trips over the past few years (since my mother moved to Birmingham).

True, Atlanta's suburbs will soon reach Alabama, but once you pass Douglasville's Arbor Place Mall on I-20, you will see mostly trees and a few farms. Villa Rica looks nice and rural from what Iíve seen out that way. Around Exit 24 where I stop for fuel, I've seen signs advertising new subdivisions near Bay Springs School with houses priced from the $130s up. I'm pretty sure about that.

Quote:
I'm assuming the traffic will be worse for that last 10-12 miles or so?
Yes, Iíd say thatís about right. I have never driven back to Atlanta on I-20 during a morning rush hour, but it seems that I-20 traffic heading into town tends to bog down around Thornton Road (the area approaching Six Flags and the I-285 junction).

Surely in a forum this size, there will be someone who does the Carroll/Douglas County to Buckhead commute daily. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Last edited by Figment 07; 01-15-2007 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post

Surely in a forum this size, there will be someone who does the Carroll/Douglas County to Buckhead commute daily. Hopefully they will chime in soon.
That would be cool.

I've been looking at real estate online in the two areas you mentioned and prices look very good. Thanks again for the valuable information. It's surely appreciated.

scjr

Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 PM

If anyone here is driving from Douglasville to Buckhead (Lenox mall area) in the morning and afternoons, I'd sure like to hear some feedback about the drive in.

Thank you so much.

scjr

Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,395,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjr View Post
If anyone here is driving from Douglasville to Buckhead (Lenox mall area) in the morning and afternoons, I'd sure like to hear some feedback about the drive in.

Thank you so much.

scjr
~~~~~~

I don't know how the traffic patterns are in/around Miami--but Atlanta has a complex system--jmo. IIRC, Atlanta placed in the top ten longest commutes in the nation.

There is a lot of road construction/repair currently taking place in metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia in general.

I would plan on 2hrs to commute from Douglasville to Buckhead. Seems like you would travel I20 most of the way and perhaps I285 or I75 also. Heavily traveled roads and there are many accidents.

If you have a chance--take a week or two and visit this area of Atlanta---lots of growing communities--Forsyth and Cherokee Counties are in developmental stages--once more rural areas.

SLS

Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
~~~~~~
I would plan on 2hrs to commute from Douglasville to Buckhead. Seems like you would travel I20 most of the way and perhaps I285 or I75 also. Heavily traveled roads and there are many accidents.

SLS
SLS,

Yikes! Well that was an eye opener. I don't mind a driving around 1 hour 1/2 or so, since I do 1+ now in just 13 miles. Guess I need to do some more research.

Thanks so much for your feedback SLS.

scjr

Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,735,306 times
I don't do the drive so I don't really know but two hours seems a little high to me. I would guess under an hour depending on where you are in Douglasville. Maybe somebody else has personal experience.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I don't do the drive so I don't really know but two hours seems a little high to me. I would guess under an hour depending on where you are in Douglasville. Maybe somebody else has personal experience.
X,

Do you live in Douglasville? If so, how do you like it? I called the Douglasville Chamber of Commerce today and they were super friendly people. That was a very nice first impression.

I hope someone who does the drive back and forth in the AM/PM can give me some feedback.

Thanks,

scjr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or