Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM

483 posts, read 2,087,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annielennox View Post
That's kind of hard to do when the first thing out of their mouths is "what church do you attend". Stay away from Gwinnett County. I use to live in LA and I promise you no matter what they are offering your wife its not worth it to move here
Do you have a problem with "I don't, thanks"?
Try it, it's easy to say. You can do it!

Although, if a simple question like that causes someone to blow a cork, that person needs to stay in LA and drive the freeways with a few million other hotheads, not move to a civilized area.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 PM

823 posts, read 2,209,458 times
Most intown neighborhoods will be nice and liberal. It's state wide politics that will make you ill. I do not know enough about CA geography but Georgia is New York if upstate ran everything and NYC was marginalized.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,298,566 times
Atlanta is a liberal oasis...along with DeKalb County

Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM

563 posts, read 2,766,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Do you have a problem with "I don't, thanks"?
Try it, it's easy to say. You can do it!

Although, if a simple question like that causes someone to blow a cork, that person needs to stay in LA and drive the freeways with a few million other hotheads, not move to a civilized area.

I totally agree!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,717,873 times
My goodness everyone,
Give the OP a break. It doesn't take a PhD to figure out that for the most part, metro Atlanta (and that includes the suburbs) isn't the most liberal place on the planet. For someone moving to the South from CA looking for 'an oasis of a blue state' you can 100% percent identify with what he is looking for. Listen to the posters who've recommended intown areas like Decatur, Virginia Highlands, Oak Grove or Druid Hills (all close to Emory by the way) and you'll indeed find the community you're looking for. Ignore everyone else who've given you their two cents on why you're making the wrong decision.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,501 times
Default Atlanta is the Island....

Atlanta itself (Metro) is a very diverse place. Almost like the New York of the south. You have great restaurants, museums, theater and something almost resembling culture. You will find intelligent and friendly people there, however twenty minutes outside of the city and your in 1840. My Sister in law moved there last year and she seems to like it.

I know what you mean about red states. I moved to Florida 9 years ago from New York and I luckily chose the only Blue county (Broward) in about 500 miles.

I would recommend spending some time there if you can to see if you like it because it will be a big change from California. If you have children I would do some research on the schools because good ones can be few and far between.

As for me I'm heading back North!!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,273,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielennox View Post
That's kind of hard to do when the first thing out of their mouths is "what church do you attend". Stay away from Gwinnett County. I use to live in LA and I promise you no matter what they are offering your wife its not worth it to move here
Ohh, please......we've been living here for three months, I've met hundreds of people at work, at home, at school functions, at the grocery store, etc., and do you know how many of them have asked me "what church do you attend"??? Exactly zero. The word church has only even come up once, and that was when I asked my neighbor what he was doing this weekend and he said "just the usual- cut the lawn, church on Sunday, watch the UGA game- that kinda stuff". That was the first and only mention of "church".

Back to the OP- as has been said a number of times in the responses- find an area with a commute your wife can live with, a housing size/type/price you want, and with good schools for the kids. The politicians from both parties suck and lie thru their teeth anyway, so why base your life-choices on which liar your neighbors support?????

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbreak View Post
Atlanta itself (Metro) is a very diverse place. Almost like the New York of the south. You have great restaurants, museums, theater and something almost resembling culture. You will find intelligent and friendly people there, however twenty minutes outside of the city and your in 1840. My Sister in law moved there last year and she seems to like it.

Really??? That's odd, because we're around 35 miles from downtown, which puts us twice as far as you mention, and somehow, I don't see 1840 anywhere. There's no confedate flags flying, no lynchings taking place, and we've even got us a Walmart and one-a them'thar traffic light thingys......

Try visiting the area and seeing what it's like, rather than commenting from Fort Lauderdale. Is Lauderdale still all blue-hairs who can't see over the steering wheel as they drive down the interstate at 20 miles an hour to getto the 4:00 early-bird specials??????

Old 10-23-2007, 01:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,717,873 times
Well I will say that it's a bit disconcerting to read the AJC and happen upon a weather report only to read that "Things will clear up by Church on Sunday."
That kind of put things in perspective for me.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Well I will say that it's a bit disconcerting to read the AJC and happen upon a weather report only to read that "Things will clear up by Church on Sunday."
That kind of put things in perspective for me.
Where did you see that? I've never seen such a thing, and even if I did, I wouldn't pay it any mind. There's nothing wrong with people taking an interest in their religion- just don't force it on me- which no one has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta