U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,054,907 times

Advertisements

I saw it in the AJC, as posted.
I have no problem with church. I love my friends who are of different religions. I teach my children about different religions. But after living in the northeast, there's no comparison re tolerance and diversity. I do my best to be an ambassador, even in my own neighborhood...not only by attending Christmas parties but by hosting Hanukkah parties-- it's something I feel is important.

But, c'mon, it's one thing not to pay attention to people who don't know any better; it's another to see it in a major newspaper. That's just plain provincial and clearly not something the chamber of commerce is trying to promote.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
I saw it in the AJC, as posted.
I have no problem with church. I love my friends who are of different religions. I teach my children about different religions. But after living in the northeast, there's no comparison re tolerance and diversity. I do my best to be an ambassador, even in my own neighborhood...not only by attending Christmas parties but by hosting Hanukkah parties-- it's something I feel is important.

But, c'mon, it's one thing not to pay attention to people who don't know any better; it's another to see it in a major newspaper. That's just plain provincial and clearly not something the chamber of commerce is trying to promote.
Interesting. I'm assuming it doesn't happen every week, so maybe it was something that someone snuck in as a joke. As you said, its definitely not something the CoC wants happening.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,054,907 times
Definitely not a joke. Wouldn't have expected it...emailed the editor about it...and now have moved on...sort of.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 PM

63 posts, read 200,679 times
Default new york to florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbreak View Post
Atlanta itself (Metro) is a very diverse place. Almost like the New York of the south. You have great restaurants, museums, theater and something almost resembling culture. You will find intelligent and friendly people there, however twenty minutes outside of the city and your in 1840. My Sister in law moved there last year and she seems to like it.

I know what you mean about red states. I moved to Florida 9 years ago from New York and I luckily chose the only Blue county (Broward) in about 500 miles.

I would recommend spending some time there if you can to see if you like it because it will be a big change from California. If you have children I would do some research on the schools because good ones can be few and far between.

As for me I'm heading back North!!
Cloudbreak: you're lucky you at least moved to a Blue county in Fl. I'm from nyc and i've been stuck in Orlando for the last 2 1/2 years. but selling my house and moving back north asap! The south is not for me!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Interesting. I'm assuming it doesn't happen every week, so maybe it was something that someone snuck in as a joke. As you said, its definitely not something the CoC wants happening.
I've heard television newscasters talk about church. Usually in the context of what the weather will be like on the way to or from church.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM

45 posts, read 139,111 times
CHURCH is the center of people's universes here in the state of GA especially in Gwinnett Co. It's their social life. Mr Kovacs within a week of moving here I was asked 5 times which church I would be attending and my kids are constantly harassed about it in school. In fact my daughter went to a slumber party with a bunch of Frank Osborne kids (Mill Creek Cluster) and it came up there and she said "nope don't attend" and the girl said "well that's alright as long as you believe in god" in that "bless your heart" tone. I have lived in LA and I would still move there today (fires and all) over this place.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielennox View Post
CHURCH is the center of people's universes here in the state of GA especially in Gwinnett Co. It's their social life. Mr Kovacs within a week of moving here I was asked 5 times which church I would be attending and my kids are constantly harassed about it in school. In fact my daughter went to a slumber party with a bunch of Frank Osborne kids (Mill Creek Cluster) and it came up there and she said "nope don't attend" and the girl said "well that's alright as long as you believe in god" in that "bless your heart" tone. I have lived in LA and I would still move there today (fires and all) over this place.
Well, I guess Gwinett must be drastically different than Cherokee then, since I haven't heard "boo" about church, and neither have my wife or kids.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,616,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, I guess Gwinett must be drastically different than Cherokee then, since I haven't heard "boo" about church, and neither have my wife or kids.
Same for me - I actually grew up here and church was not a big deal at all. Grew up in Dunwoody and am Catholic and except for any of the kids that I saw at CCD I could not have told you who was protestant vs. catholic vs. anything else. The only time a big deal was made was for Jewish kids, and that was just to teach everyone else about Hannakah (sp?) and to know that they don't celebrate x-mas, which I think happened in 1st grade or something. There are some people here at work that I know are pretty religious, but they don't really talk about it - I just know b/c they are friends of mine.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 PM

45 posts, read 139,111 times
Schools starting to frown on Halloween celebrations | ajc.com (broken link)

read the messages underneath the article if you think the fundy stuff is as invisible as our moderators like to profess

Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM

425 posts, read 1,560,418 times
You are citing an AJC article on a topic that we all know which way AJC is going to put a spin on. That is like citing Rush Limbaugh's book to back conservative points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or