U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:53 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,061,950 times

Advertisements

I think the OP has officially run far away from us! Come back OP!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:48 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,929,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
We must have different definitions of "tolerant". In the NE noone asks you what church you go to. People don't care. Here, it is a question that comes up. It is a huge part of people's lives and if you aren't the same way it is uncomfortable.
FWIW, I haven't been asked that question down here in Atlanta in the three years I've been here.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,929,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
From experience, it seems to me that rural families are much more republican. In my honest opinions, Republicans seem to be a lot more willing to back their beliefs, and they know what they want. I think its disturbing that Liberals can be so diverse in beliefs, and that they don't really have as much in common as perceived. (2 party systems suck anyways) Democrats/Liberals are generally those living in urban and suburban environment as opposed to the rural Republican areas.
Most of the folks I know are 30's/40's middle-class or upper-middle-class white techie/legal/finance types, and neither major party fits their beliefs very well (fiscally conservative, socially liberal, generally non-religious).

Most of them tend to be independent or libertarian if they're tied to a particular party at all.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 AM

167 posts, read 679,666 times
Gwinnett is by no means even near "blue state." Yes, it's diverse, but the voting population in Gwinnett is 70% Republican. So, actually, the county is about as Republican as republican can get. The county laws all lean on the conservative side.

Fulton and DeKalb County are your best best for metro Atlanta.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM

11,595 posts, read 17,548,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I find your post ironic. Oddly enough, your blanket generalization leads me to believe you might fit in in a small Southern town better than you think. In other words, what makes you think you would be wanted on said "island of sanity"?
Hey who resurected this post?
HAHAHA, I answered like that 6 months ago when this post came out and it was deleted by the all powerful/all objective (as long as the response is not politically right leaning) moderator at that time. Looks like the Atlanta forum has a little more freedom now. I think the original post was a troll myself (only 2 posts).

Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 AM

45 posts, read 139,261 times
My Way News - Georgia Plans Service to Pray for Rain

"What to do when the rain won't come? If you're Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, you pray.
The governor will host a prayer service next week to ask for relief from the drought gripping the Southeast."

Haha yep this area is not church-centric.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,628,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielennox View Post

"What to do when the rain won't come? If you're Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, you pray.
The governor will host a prayer service next week to ask for relief from the drought gripping the Southeast."

AnnieLennox - not trying to be a jerk or rude, but you really seem miserable. Not saying you are a miserable person, as I don't know you personally, but that you just seem to be really depressed and dispondent about your current situation. There are ways to remedy this - you can always find what you are looking for, whether that is good OR bad. I think at this point you have let the negativity of your mood spill over into your perceptions.

Is this area "church-centric" well, yeah, I mean it's not like it's a huge secret that the South is the bible-belt. But I just don't get how you are so hung up on this - I mean, I've spent my whole life here and never go to church and don't really care about it and have never been bothered by the christian influence of the area.

Secondly, and probably what has pushed me to write this, is your comment about how uneducated the area is. Honestly - can someone who moves to the South and is surprised by the bible-thumpers really consider themselves educated? Irony, irony.

Look, I'm not trying to rip on you, just making a point that if you are this freaking miserable (I've seen numerous posts by you and it's Debbie Downer to the nth degree) then you have two choices (1) move and be happy, or (2) don't do anything and be miserable. If you choose the latter, then please just keep it to yourself.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM

425 posts, read 1,562,335 times
Are you somehow forced to live where you are currently? Seeing your posts, you really do seem "jaded".

Quote:
Originally Posted by annielennox View Post

Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 AM

823 posts, read 1,958,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
AnnieLennox - not trying to be a jerk or rude, but you really seem miserable. Not saying you are a miserable person, as I don't know you personally, but that you just seem to be really depressed and dispondent about your current situation. There are ways to remedy this - you can always find what you are looking for, whether that is good OR bad. I think at this point you have let the negativity of your mood spill over into your perceptions.

Is this area "church-centric" well, yeah, I mean it's not like it's a huge secret that the South is the bible-belt. But I just don't get how you are so hung up on this - I mean, I've spent my whole life here and never go to church and don't really care about it and have never been bothered by the christian influence of the area.

Secondly, and probably what has pushed me to write this, is your comment about how uneducated the area is. Honestly - can someone who moves to the South and is surprised by the bible-thumpers really consider themselves educated? Irony, irony.

Look, I'm not trying to rip on you, just making a point that if you are this freaking miserable (I've seen numerous posts by you and it's Debbie Downer to the nth degree) then you have two choices (1) move and be happy, or (2) don't do anything and be miserable. If you choose the latter, then please just keep it to yourself.

I don't get how annielenox is "miserable" from that post. In fact I agree. The drought is a real problem. The Governor would be better served devoting time to coming up with a real solution instead of wasting time with this charade. This smacks of a last resort from someone who has no answers and that is scary.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,628,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I don't get how annielenox is "miserable" from that post. In fact I agree. The drought is a real problem. The Governor would be better served devoting time to coming up with a real solution instead of wasting time with this charade. This smacks of a last resort from someone who has no answers and that is scary.
You would have to have read all of other posts in this and any other thread where she bashes the area she lives in.

I basically just used that quote as a reference point from which to finally reply to her constant whining about Georgia in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or