U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM

21 posts, read 131,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
People who are sitting in standstill traffic every day have only themselves to blame...there are alternatives.
I suppose one could helicopter into downtown from their home in Alpharetta, unless the implication is that they either (a) have no business being so far away from their job in the first place or (b) that they should be wealthy enough to afford that daily helicopter ride.

Seems a little short-sighted unless one wants to have a debate about urban planning, which would be interesting, but not particularly relevant to the original poster's question since this area is already laid out the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times
Quote:
Dealing with traffic in Atlanta is really a matter of common sense and planning. Your job should be either near your home or in a direction that is against rush hour traffic. Also, I make it a point to almost never go to certain high traffic areas at peak congestion times. There is also the option of using Marta more often, which I rarely do but it IS an option. People who are sitting in standstill traffic every day have only themselves to blame...there are alternatives.
I agree that MARTA is and should be a viable commuting option. But it's imcompetently operated and not usually reliable. It's become a jobs program instead of a committed mode of people-moving. I'd fire everyone, and replace them with a transit contractor who's accountable to people inside and outside Fulton. Denver metro is now realizing how important transportation is, and they're getting their light rail act together.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 52,227 times
Thanks for all the helpful information, guys! I just a couple more questions for the Coloradoans who have moved to Atlanta... have you found the people there to be friendly? Is it an easy place for people to make friends? Also, I couldn't help but ask... how are the drivers in Atlanta compared to Denver? Are the cops strict there? I don't mind the fast drivers, I have a lead foot. I've never been pulled over for speeding in Denver. Any thoughts?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 PM

699 posts, read 2,302,062 times
For someone riding Marta from stop A to stop B all of the incompetence really isn't noticeable. It runs, it's clean, and gets people where they are going. I don't see what is so evil about Marta to cause it to be constantly bad mouthed in these forums.
And yes, I think it's ridiculous that you live out in AlphaDunWell and spend such a considerable amount of time in your car. Those are the people who complain the loudest about Atlanta traffic. Any city is exactly what you make of it, and if that's your idea of a "high quality of life" then great. Mine is living in the city in an urban neighborhood (not a million dollar highrise - there are affordable areas in the city that are very nice) and I drive against rush hour traffic for 15 minutes to work, stress free. Just a different spin on living here and a difference in values.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM

131 posts, read 430,621 times
People are friendly enough...though don't expect a whole lot of Southern Hospitality as it seems everyone is from somewhere else.

Driving is much better. Example: Hwy 400 has a speed limit of 55. Most though (including me) drives 80! Not the problem Denver has where the speed limit is 65 and you have some bozo in a subaru driving 55 in the left lane.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCoGuy View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information, guys! I just a couple more questions for the Coloradoans who have moved to Atlanta... have you found the people there to be friendly? Is it an easy place for people to make friends? Also, I couldn't help but ask... how are the drivers in Atlanta compared to Denver? Are the cops strict there? I don't mind the fast drivers, I have a lead foot. I've never been pulled over for speeding in Denver. Any thoughts?
I'd say drivers in Atlanta and Denver are fairly similar, but I'd probably give a slight edge to Denver drivers in terms of courtesy. Only a slight one, though.

Making friends is a little different here. The area has always been so steeped in separation that many people don't realize that it's fine to be friendly with people you don't know, or wouldn't expect to know. Just be yourself, though. You'll be fine.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
For someone riding Marta from stop A to stop B all of the incompetence really isn't noticeable. It runs, it's clean, and gets people where they are going. I don't see what is so evil about Marta to cause it to be constantly bad mouthed in these forums.
And yes, I think it's ridiculous that you live out in AlphaDunWell and spend such a considerable amount of time in your car. Those are the people who complain the loudest about Atlanta traffic. Any city is exactly what you make of it, and if that's your idea of a "high quality of life" then great. Mine is living in the city in an urban neighborhood (not a million dollar highrise - there are affordable areas in the city that are very nice) and I drive against rush hour traffic for 15 minutes to work, stress free. Just a different spin on living here and a difference in values.
Au contrere, mon frere. I ride MARTA everyday, which is exactly why I'm critical of it. It's late more often than on-time; trains are poorly maintained and often unreliable; and management could seem to care less. For someone who doesn't ride MARTA to downplay its negatives, is ... well ... ridiculous.

Obviously, you have not seen my numerous posts about those northsiders who constantly complain about traffic, but who won't set foot on a MARTA train or (gasp) a bus.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:21 PM

699 posts, read 2,302,062 times
Who said that I don't ride Marta? I can't use it for work...it doesn't go to my area. But I use it a good bit for other travel when it makes sense. The interiors have been upgraded/updated in the recent past, replacing the orange/burnt orange/brown colors with blues. They look really nice. Also it was the first system in the U.S. to install closed circuit t.v. in it's cars. Every system has it's kinks, NYC (regarded as the best in the nation) has similar delays if not worse...I like to think I can come up with some positive points about Atlanta for someone wanting information for relocating. Marta, Atlanta, traffic, etc = more good than bad. I'm happy with living here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or