U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM

8 posts, read 56,346 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for some information about Henry county. I am looking for as much information as possible such as the lifestyle, people, places to live and not live in. I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM

985 posts, read 5,221,922 times
I used to live in MA. Newton is very nice, upscale town. Go from Newton to Henry county is definitely step down. Maybe PTC, Alpharatta, John's Creek has similiar life style. Since Delta is in trouble, I think that there are deals to be have in PTC.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,376 times
Henry Co is a wonderful place to live. We were there for 8 years, and watched it grow by leaps and bounds. For the best schools, you need to try and stay with Union Grove High, it is rated as one in the top 5% of all US high schools by Newsweek. The only thing is, it is over crowded, but all of Henry Co schools are over crowded. My kids went to Union Grove High and Middle and they did very well. I wouldn't move it to the Whesly lakes area I think all those kids will end up going to Henry Co High, and that is a lower school. Luella and Ola are also good, alot of Union Grove kids moved there when they opend. I can't tell you to much about the elementary schools my youngest went to Hickory Flats for 2 years and we did not care for it at all, the teacher she had wasn't the best, but I have heard great things about East Lake. McDounough is a very nice place to live it is clean and safe, and everything is close by, they are building a brand new mall. If you are a person who likes the "Night Life" not much there. They do have a new movie theather. The Atlanta area has alot to offer as far and family fun, and the South in a Great place to be. As with any move it is hard and takes time to adjust, but if you have to move to GA, Henry County is an excellent place to be.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM

80 posts, read 442,198 times
I used to live in the Atlanta area, now reside in the Boston area and there are many differences. Regarding public schools overall, Georgia typically ranks at the bottom nationally, while Massachusetts typically ranks at the top nationally. That said, I am sure there are some individual schools that are fine in Georgia....but Newton has some of the best schools in Massachusetts. You also will not find the same level of public amenities in Georgia. For example, there are many more and better maintained parks, playgrounds in Massachusetts and the libraries are much larger and nicer.

You will definitely get more square footage for your money in suburban Atlanta. With some exceptions, Atlanta suburbs are for the most part composed of sprawl (spread out subdivisions with cookie-cutter, albeit new, housing, few sidewalks, and only national chain stores/restaurants) are not quaint like the older Boston suburbs with great charachter and vibrant business districts like Netwon. And there is pretty much only once choice to get around in suburban Atlanta...driving. Biking is out of the question and there is virtually no bus / commuter rail service....unlike the choices you have in Newton.

Also, traffic is typically horrible all over Atlanta, but may be okay you stay in Henry county. However, as that area develops that would change...exactly as what has happened in North Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or