U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 PM

197 posts, read 504,281 times
Default Transplants Now Living in Alpharetta: Any regrets?

We moved here a year ago and are living in Buckhead. I have small children and have found it difficult to make good friends as I have in other relos. I think part of the problem is we are not in a subdivision. The other issue is the people we meet are sort of established--even the transplants have been here a while.

During past moves, we always ended up in new construction, suburban neighborhoods with other reloed execs and their families. We bonded and created "extended families" over time. I am looking to find that situation again but so far, the only area that even reminds me of that is Alpharetta. It is far from the city, so that's my concern. The other is homes in the $1m don't seem to appreciate the way they do intown. But we are still considering moving to Alpharetta anyway and I need some feedback. We are looking at the Manor Country Club among others.

Any advice or feedback please? Do you like the area? Is it too isolated from the rest of the city? Are there a lot of transplants? Are you happy with the public schools? Would you move there again?

Thanks so much in advance,

Lola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 10:11 PM

85 posts, read 344,896 times
Well, let me give you my take. I lived in Alpharetta for two years and just recently moved back to CA. I was in the Windward subdivision. I'm not familiar with the development you mention.

We had 2 and then 3 kids there. I think overall, it is a very family-friendly area, lots of couples with kids. My wife stayed home and had no trouble finding lots of other stay at home moms to make friends with. We found the schools excellent, in fact I like them a lot better that the school area we are in now in CA (which is supposed to be one of the best).

Also, it does seem the area has a large number of transplants. In fact, we had a hard time meeting anyone who was from the area. Almost everyone we knew was from elsewhere in the country. Overall, I had no regrets at all and I would still be living there happily if my job did not transfer me out.

I will say this though, there are tons of other areas to consider. Many areas of Roswell are nice, and you might want to investigate Sandy Springs and Dunwoody if you want to be closer in to town.

I guess the negatives are you will be farther from Atlanta, and the area while nice is not a prestigious as Buckhead, if that matters. It's more of a strip mall/typical suburban existance, you don't have the resturants and interesting shops Buckhead has. Just depends on what you want.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:46 AM

88 posts, read 347,152 times
The manor is very nice. I'm am in another phoenix development in Forsyth (same builders), close to 400. They are still building in my development. Most people I have met are transplants as well as myself. Let me know if you want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta