U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition:Atlanta or Houston.
Atlanta 39 61.90%
Houston 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 AM

8,040 posts, read 7,132,917 times
Default Name Recognition:Atlanta or Houston

What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition:Atlanta or Houston.Which do you know more about and which do you think the average world citizen knows more about?and why?It can be a negative or positive thing

Last edited by afonega1; 07-07-2008 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: add comment
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,653,452 times
You'd get better feedback if you put this question in the General US forum. Just putting something like this specifically in the Atlanta or the Houston board would be way too biased because the people in the poll would be more biased toward their respective cities.

Besides, both cities are well-known and famous in their own special way. Houston has the energy industry, NASA, the biggest medical center in the world, etc.

Atlanta is known for transportation (Delta), Coca-Cola, Martin Luther King, etc.

Having visited Houston many times and as a current resident of Atlanta, I can certainly say that Houston feels a lot more cosomopolitan than Atlanta. I found it to be a lot more diverse and international than most parts of Metro Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 AM

263 posts, read 779,090 times
1996 Olympics=Atlanta

Close Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 AM

317 posts, read 530,474 times
Atlanta wins hands down! Atlanta is queen of the south and when people want a fast paced life with a little southern hospitality in the mix I know atlanta would be their first choice and is why the population is growing so fast.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 AM
JPD

7,728 posts, read 7,873,979 times
In the '80s and earlier, Houston. Since the '90s, Atlanta.

People are probably just as likely to associate NASA with Florida as they are Houston.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,349,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In the '80s and earlier, Houston. Since the '90s, Atlanta.

People are probably just as likely to associate NASA with Florida as they are Houston.
I never really thought of it that way. It's funny that the Texas guys scoff at Coke and CNN by saying that people think CNN is a New York based company and that people overseas don't know where Coke is based. Too funny.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 AM

644 posts, read 2,327,392 times
I feel like Houston's rep took a decline when the Enron scandal hit.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM

415 posts, read 95,679 times
Topic starter, why would you put it here in an Atlanta forum? You should do it in General US. What if I put it in Houston's forum? What good would it do to get a biased report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I never really thought of it that way. It's funny that the Texas guys scoff at Coke and CNN by saying that people think CNN is a New York based company and that people overseas don't know where Coke is based. Too funny.
It's true . You should visit more world forums sometime (as in not City Data). It's not just Texas guys saying it.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,349,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Topic starter, why would you put it here in an Atlanta forum? You should do it in General US. What if I put it in Houston's forum? What good would it do to get a biased report.

It's true . You should visit more world forums sometime (as in not City Data). It's not just Texas guys saying it.
What are the names of the forums. I found city-data when writing a paper on US Hist I and google kept on bringing me to this site. On the general forum I put in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM

415 posts, read 95,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
What are the names of the forums. I found city-data when writing a paper on US Hist I and google kept on bringing me to this site. On the general forum I put in my opinion.
SkyscraperPage and SkyscraperCity. Both are much larger than City-Data, though don't really compete with City-Data. The other two forums have a more urban mindset and let members speak their mind more. All three can coexist though, but the other two places (well basically SkyscraperPage) has been getting a lot of people from City-Data.

Atlanta has its own local forum, too. It's called Atlanta Metroscape. It's small now, but growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta