U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 AM

39 posts, read 222,450 times

Advertisements

My sister is considering moving to Atlanta from Memphis. She has lived in Memphis here whole life and is the only one in my family not to leave, so she is sort of isolated there. She is a single mother with 4 kids. Currently she is doing everything on her own, even paying $600 rent for a crampy three bedroom. She is not on section 8, however I want her to move to Atlanta and get Section 8 housing. I know that there is plenty, however my question is: How does she go by getting section 8 housing in Atlanta, Georgia? Is there a website someone could refer me to. Who would she or me need to speak with.

Thank You.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,748,232 times
Who told you "there is plenty" of Section 8 housing in Atlanta? The City of Atlanta has been demolishing all of it's public housing projects and giving the residents vouchers to go out and find replacement housing- that's eating up alot of the available units. Does your sister have a job lined up yet? The market here isn't exactly spectacular, especially if she's not coming with alot of marketable experience and/or education, and she's really got to know where she's working prior to finding a house, as the commute can be insane otherwise.

Here's a link to the City of Atlanta's Section 8 homepage. You'll see that they're not in a big hurry to help everyone who walks into town looking for a place to live- the requirements are pretty strict, and they generally look toward the elderly, disabled, and homeless first.

City of Atlanta Online

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
Section 8 housing is as Bob mentioned, being torn down in favor of "mixed use" developments. Since that started happening, Section 8 folks have been moving to the suburbs, and as a result, I'm aware of several towns who are trying to figure out ways to ban home owners who rent their homes from being able to Section 8.

There is not exactly a "welcome with open arms" attitude here with it, and to be honest, Atlanta is not the place where a single mother with 4 kids stands a chance of turning her life around just because public assistance is available, unless she has a college degree (or seriously plans on getting one) and getting a good white collar job.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM

825 posts, read 2,082,917 times
She needs to contact the Atlanta Housing Authority. If your sister has good credit she could possible move into one of the mixed use complexes.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM

423 posts, read 878,176 times
I doubt that your sister will be able to obtain a section 8 voucher in Atlanta. The waitlist is so long that it is currently closed (see AHA, scroll down to the very end of the page). You can also look at the HUD section 8 page for information on the local administration of section 8 (Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet - HUD).

This is a VERY bad time to think about relocating to Atlanta if you need housing assistance. There will be 2000+ families seeking section 8 housing as two large public housing projects are demolished in the next year. More will follow in subsequent years. These residents are guaranteed section 8 vouchers. I don't know if this means HUD will provide more vouchers to the Atlanta Housing Authority to accomodate this demand, or if these residents will take priority over those currently on the section 8 wait list. In either case, even for those who are able to obtain a voucher, actual housing demand is likely to exceed the number of units available where landlords will accept section 8vouchers. And the location of that housing is likely to be problematic. A recent AJC article about abondoned property in The Bluff qouted a Zone 3 police officer as saying he anticipated crime to go down in the area as people displaced from soon to be demolished Bowen Homes move into the area. Moving into The Bluff IS NOT a move up from a public housing project IMO.

Your sister may fare better seeking a voucher from one of the public housing authorities outside of the city proper. She may even be well-advised to seek a voucher in Tennessee now, versus waiting until she moves to Georgia. Vouchers are portable across housing authorities after 12 months. Best of luck to your sister, but be sure she "looks before she leaps" into Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM

39 posts, read 222,450 times
I read about the wait list, she would probably be better off in Memphis. I am well aware of the disappearance of affordable housing. I am lucking to live in the city, in a nice neighborhood, in a 3/2 for under 200k. But anyway, I will consider looking at Memphis Housing Authority. I just hate to have her there all alone and I don't plan on going back to Memphis myself.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 39,718 times
Yea SEction 8 housing here sucks, I was looking into it when I 1st moved here from Memphis but that was only as a last resort, just in case all else failed but luckily I was able to find a decent job and a nice apartment in the vinings area and my kids attend a great school in cobb county. But just let her know if she does consider moving here there are places shse can move that are nice and not in "THA HOOD" you just have to search and search for the specials that the apartment complexes have to offer

Old 07-19-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 39,623 times
i am looking for a section8 home, 3-4 bedrooms, large master bedroom, 2-3 bedrooms, livong room, dining room, family room, basement, in a excellent neighborhood with excellent middle school and high school. i have 2 children and a 2lb toy yorkie/poodle dog.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,748,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor bynum View Post
i am looking for a section8 home, 3-4 bedrooms, large master bedroom, 2-3 bedrooms, livong room, dining room, family room, basement, in a excellent neighborhood with excellent middle school and high school. i have 2 children and a 2lb toy yorkie/poodle dog.
OK, help me understand here- you're on Section 8, which essentially means that I'm helping to pay for your housing through my tax dollars. Maybe- just maybe- if you considered a little less house- maybe "just" a 3 bedroom with no formal dining or living rooms- you'd be able to afford it without assistance. I know- it's a crazy thought- but one worth considering.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:07 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,035,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
OK, help me understand here- you're on Section 8, which essentially means that I'm helping to pay for your housing through my tax dollars. Maybe- just maybe- if you considered a little less house- maybe "just" a 3 bedroom with no formal dining or living rooms- you'd be able to afford it without assistance. I know- it's a crazy thought- but one worth considering.
Yeah, I don't have a basement, and my family is crammed in a small house to save money and pay off bills. Maybe I should look into Section 8 - if I can get a house like the aforementioned description, it sounds like a pretty good deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta