U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM

45 posts, read 147,237 times

Advertisements

So many people tell me it is well known that Cobb county cops harrass Afro-Americans. They say COBB means Cops Only Bother Blacks. Is there any truth to that?

Also how bad is the traffic? I've been to Barrett Pkwy on my way to Kennesaw and I've noticed alot of congestion and it wasn't even the holidays. I work in Atlanta off of 285. Considering purchasing a home up that way because of the schools.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:52 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,713,884 times
Quote:
So many people tell me it is well known that Cobb county cops harrass Afro-Americans. They say COBB means Cops Only Bother Blacks. Is there any truth to that?
Consider your source. The fact that you ask for verification here indicates that you might doubt it.

No, that is not "well known" to me and I've been around for quite a while.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,710 times
In the last 5-10 years, many law enforcement agencies came under serious scrutiny for profiling. They'd be crazy to continue those practices today--Cobb included. But a few still will.

But just to be safe, I make sure that my tail lights work; that I always use my blinkers; and stay within the speed limit. Don't give 'em a chance.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Cobb County Police are very well funded and therefore have a lot of units on the street at any given time. If you are doing something wrong then you have a good chance of getting caught in Cobb Cty. Some people might take this as racism but plenty of whites, hispanics or asians get busted there also.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM

985 posts, read 5,217,959 times
City of Duluth police is also very very aggressive. They even have this program that blocks random city street bimonthly and make sure people going through the block wear seat belt and have valid car tag, have car insurance and have valid drive license etc. I got caught once when I first moved here because my car tag expired. So be care when you visit Duluth.

Moderator cut: Please provide link

Last edited by xxman777; 01-18-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I'm new to GA and I'm learning quickly that Georgia Law enforcement is not a joke. I guess there are good cops and bad cops in every state.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 PM

14 posts, read 52,227 times
On a related note, I am considering a move to Atlanta. I've heard that the drivers in Atlanta are really crazy and aggressive, but by what I'm reading here it sounds like the cops are strict. Are cops strict about speeding, failure to signal, etc? Do people there drive fast and crazy or do they try to drive the speed limit to avoid getting pulled over?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCoGuy View Post
On a related note, I am considering a move to Atlanta. I've heard that the drivers in Atlanta are really crazy and aggressive, but by what I'm reading here it sounds like the cops are strict. Are cops strict about speeding, failure to signal, etc? Do people there drive fast and crazy or do they try to drive the speed limit to avoid getting pulled over?
I'm originally from NYC so, I don't believe they drive crazy or aggressive. Actually, I often feel like it takes them twice as long to turn the wheel but, I could still be on NY speed. Personally, I do think the cops are strict and have rather nasty attitudes. As a result, I have been forcing myself to stay at or just above the limit. They are always parked somewhere with a radar pointed at you. Just ride with the flow of traffic.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM

85 posts, read 459,587 times
No, drivers are not crazy. At least no more crazy than any other metro area. I found it to be a heck of a lot better than s. Cal for example. Drivers are pretty polite in Atlanta I think.

I think Atlanta gets a bad rap since it is surrounded by rural area for miles. So, Aunt Millie drives in from Alabama and says, "Oh lordy, there are more than two cars on the road--and heavens, they drive over 55 mph!!"

These people have no clue regarding traffic in Boston, SF, DC, Chicago, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Miami, NY, Philly, etc etc which are all the same or much worse than Atlanta. Remember, it is a top 10 metro area now. It's pretty big.

And that's not even considering international cities. Try driving around Mexico City sometime if you want to see real traffic. After that, everything else is chocolate cake.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,713,884 times
Quote:
that Georgia Law enforcement is not a joke
Thank you.

Quote:
Do people there drive fast and crazy or do they try to drive the speed limit to avoid getting pulled over?
Most of us drive safely but we do tend to go with the flow. Sometimes the flow is faster than the posted limit.

With the traffic congestion we are seeing now, it's not possible to speed constantly, but you will notice drivers trying making up for lost time when they can. Sometimes there is a price to pay for that. Hopefully, it will be only money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or