Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,737,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I'm just saying there are two sides to every story . Somewhere in the middle is usually the facts .

I only know that 30 years ago it was safe to walk or take a bus downtown . Now it is very dangerous . Before there were no bars on the windows of shops, now most have ugly bars and the streets are trashed .

So who's fault is this , it's the ones who manage the area . And thats the race hustlers who took it over . They have destroyed the relationships with the races and the attitudes of their 'victims' .
Unfortunately,the only part of downtown that looks bad is the 5 points area by the Marta Station,Underground, and the block just south of it on Peachtree.It just happens to be a highly visible area because of the Marta and Underground and is the center of downtown.It is not all of downtown.There is a whole new area off of Marietta a Street with a new restaurant row and also the entire new area of Allen Plaza.Other noticeable "positive"changes is the area around the Aquarium and Centennial Olympic Park.

As far as the "race hustlers" go,yes they are bad news,but they would not have any power at all if they had not an audience that felt that they spoke to the issues of some people.These things happen out of the fulfillment of a need.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
Because I don't get offended if someone calls me a "Cracker". Because black people believe they have all gone through slavery. White people do not believe this. That is how it can be in one race versus another.

I see the same attitude everywhere I go.

I don't think you understand the "race card". The race card just means because of a certain event that occurs the end decision was racism.
You still don't get it.You keep saying BLACK people.As if we are all huddled somewhere planning some common line of defense somewhere!!That is just ludicrous.The one thing that blacks do have in common is that almost everyone of us has been affected by racism in some way.People are different,it has nothing to do with race.People cope with things in different ways.You saying that you know how and what we are just cements that fact that it is an issue that still affects blacks in this country today.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM

178 posts, read 616,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You still don't get it.You keep saying BLACK people.As if we are all huddled somewhere planning some common line of defense somewhere!!That is just ludicrous.The one thing that blacks do have in common is that almost everyone of us has been affected by racism in some way.
Thanks for contradicting yourself. That's exactly where I was saying black people.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for contradicting yourself. That's exactly where I was saying black people.
That is not a contradiction at all.Commonality in cultural attitudes has nothing to do with race.People respond to different issues differerently. oh well,I digress.You think what you will.I'm happy with me and thats really all that counts.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,350,435 times
Quote:
It's sad how our Jewish community has gone through more inhumane forms of torture yet everyone hates on them. The fact is they don't complain as much as the African American community does about it. They see becoming more successfull through savvy business procedures more important then complaining about life not being fair because of their history.
Two words for you 300 years!!!!!! 300 years!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Two words for you 300 years!!!!!! 300 years!!!
The fact that I have never heard anyone black make excuses because of slavery is ludicrous.Racism was the CAUSE of slavery.Racism had to exist before slavery could become possible.No racism=no slavery.So why do people like Jimmeh keep saying black people complain about slavery?Racism will always exist.How ever it is not something that has to defeat anyne.It is just a road block.Those "road blocks" if anything is what blacks do complain about.
Ever had someone tell you over the phone that an apartment is available,and in less than an hour later after meeting face to face,its been rented?

How about my friend Alban from France(who is white) went to rent an apartment in Miami(N.Beach) and the woman tells him that "the area will be a lot better after they get all the n***** out?

Or just being harassed by the police like Gates was in his own neighborhood.That same thing happened to me in my parents subdivision.
I could go on about unlawful police stops on a personal level,here and abroad.

The thing is ,the majority of blacks do not let those things slow them down.You never hear about it in the papers or the news,or even by mouth because they know in the end, only another black person can ever know what it is like.Sometimes it is a waste of breath because there are some people that want to belittle the seriousness of it because they cannot or do not want to understand the dynamics of how systemic and deep racism can be in our society.Its much easier to point out those who abuse the the issue and falsify what is the real truth that they use only for personal gain.Those minorities do more harm than any KKK or racist white person can do.Yet they are held as the reason not to do anything in regards to what is a problem.

That said,I think we in the U.S. are better equipped to handle the issue of race than any other place in the world.Some abroad will say "well in country "XYZ",people live in harmony and there is no racism".Yet minorities are hardly in the government level hierarchy,in the throws of the corporate elite, or in popular culture.

In regards to Jews and their struggle,Jews in America by and large did suffer as much here in America on the level that blacks have.In the world,is a different story.The Holocaust is one of the world greatest tragedies and is a shameful event that Mankind should never want to repeat again.The struggles are different.Many Jews had to Leave Germany after they had lost everything.They have had the support of the world since then.The world agencies have convicted Nazi terrorist in world courts all over the world.They have been chasing these evil doers still even today.The valuables and property that were taken during the war are constantly being returned to the owners and their descendants.

Have you ever heard of any former slave masters being arrested for owning slaves?Many of the banks and insurance companies were sued a few years ago because they underwrote and profited during slavery.The suit was thrown out.

It was very common for blacks to have land and possessions taken from them routinely.I do not think it a good idea personally,but some think that the idea of reparations is absolutely RIDICULOUS.Why is that?
Yes ,I understand it (slavery)was legal at one time,but how do you tell that to people who have passed on several generations of scars because they had very little support from their country.They had no where to go.

England and America were both slave countries.Yet England after slavery never went through a period of Jim Crow.I think that is the major difference in why race today affects us the way it does.This period in Americas dark history lives in the people like my parents even today.Some like my parents ,are able to break through and see the silver lining but some just cannot.This is HUMAN nature,not black or white.Circumstances affect people in different ways.This is why I say for someone to believe ONLY blacks react this way,then some how we must have a deficiency that is innate in our being .In a nutshell ,that makes some think of us(blacks) as inferior.Hence,that IS a RACIST remark.No matter how it is "sugar coated".

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,350,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The fact that I have never heard anyone black make excuses because of slavery is ludicrous.Racism was the CAUSE of slavery.Racism had to exist before slavery could become possible.No racism=no slavery.So why do people like Jimmeh keep saying black people complain about slavery?Racism will always exist.How ever it is not something that has to defeat anyne.It is just a road block.Those "road blocks" if anything is what blacks do complain about.
Ever had someone tell you over the phone that an apartment is available,and in less than an hour later after meeting face to face,its been rented?

How about my friend Alban from France(who is white) went to rent an apartment in Miami(N.Beach) and the woman tells him that "the area will be a lot better after they get all the n***** out?

Or just being harassed by the police like Gates was in his own neighborhood.That same thing happened to me in my parents subdivision.
I could go on about unlawful police stops on a personal level,here and abroad.

The thing is ,the majority of blacks do not let those things slow them down.You never hear about it in the papers or the news,or even by mouth because they know in the end, only another black person can ever know what it is like.Sometimes it is a waste of breath because there are some people that want to belittle the seriousness of it because they cannot or do not want to understand the dynamics of how systemic and deep racism can be in our society.Its much easier to point out those who abuse the the issue and falsify what is the real truth that they use only for personal gain.Those minorities do more harm than any KKK or racist white person can do.Yet they are held as the reason not to do anything in regards to what is a problem.

That said,I think we in the U.S. are better equipped to handle the issue of race than any other place in the world.Some abroad will say "well in country "XYZ",people live in harmony and there is no racism".Yet minorities are hardly in the government level hierarchy,in the throws of the corporate elite, or in popular culture.

In regards to Jews and their struggle,Jews in America by and large did suffer as much here in America on the level that blacks have.In the world,is a different story.The Holocaust is one of the world greatest tragedies and is a shameful event that Mankind should never want to repeat again.The struggles are different.Many Jews had to Leave Germany after they had lost everything.They have had the support of the world since then.The world agencies have convicted Nazi terrorist in world courts all over the world.They have been chasing these evil doers still even today.The valuables and property that were taken during the war are constantly being returned to the owners and their descendants.

Have you ever heard of any former slave masters being arrested for owning slaves?Many of the banks and insurance companies were sued a few years ago because they underwrote and profited during slavery.The suit was thrown out.

It was very common for blacks to have land and possessions taken from them routinely.I do not think it a good idea personally,but some think that the idea of reparations is absolutely RIDICULOUS.Why is that?
Yes ,I understand it (slavery)was legal at one time,but how do you tell that to people who have passed on several generations of scars because they had very little support from their country.They had no where to go.

England and America were both slave countries.Yet England after slavery never went through a period of Jim Crow.I think that is the major difference in why race today affects us the way it does.This period in Americas dark history lives in the people like my parents even today.Some like my parents ,are able to break through and see the silver lining but some just cannot.This is HUMAN nature,not black or white.Circumstances affect people in different ways.This is why I say for someone to believe ONLY blacks react this way,then some how we must have a deficiency that is innate in our being .In a nutshell ,that makes some think of us(blacks) as inferior.Hence,that IS a RACIST remark.No matter how it is "sugar coated".
Well stated!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,796,011 times
The bickering now outweighs the healthy debate comments, so the topic is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta