Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 32,967 times

Advertisements

I will be working about 3-4 days a week in sandy springs and about a day in Forsyth..so if we do move to ATL we would consider the northern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Of all the things the asthma..thing really worries us..we just can't get it out of our mind..but boston with it's cold is not too forgiving either..in fact ohio has just been terrible

Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 AM

197 posts, read 515,733 times
As for the asthma, we definitely have a lot of pollen here in Atlanta during the Spring time. It seems to bother some people more than others. I haven’t had too much trouble with it but I have had family members visit in the Spring and it has definitely had an effect on them. I lived up in New Jersey for 5 years and actually had more trouble with my allergies and sinuses up there than I do here so I guess it really depends on the person.

Having previously lived in New Jersey myself I don’t think you will have any problem at all being a north easterner down here. As a matter of fact there are some things that actually remind me of when I used to live in Bergen County, NJ. There are a huge amount of people living down here from the northeast and from all over the country/world to be exact. I live in Sandy Springs and on more than one occasion I’ve heard people from the northeast refer to the area as little New York because of all the north easterner's living here. In my opinion Atlanta is geographically in the South but culturally it is no longer a Southern city. It’s really become a mix of lots of different cultures. Of the few Southerners that I’ve met down here I haven’t found one to be disrespectful to me because I’m not originally from here. They have all been very nice and friendly.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
The asthma would worry me the most as well. Do you have a sense of what your child's triggers are?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:01 PM

so far her triggers are viral uri..but we got her allergies tested and she is allergic pollen from ohio trees..so far allergies have not trigrred her asthMA..TOUCHWOOD !

Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Having lived in the Boston area and Atlanta area, I would say Boston. The schools are much better up there (I went to school in Fayette County GA and it is supposedly the best in the state, but the education I recieved there was far inferior to the one I had in New England) and if you think the traffic in Boston is bad, just wait to you experience it in Atlanta!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
That is a very tough call. Your quality of life in Atlanta would be much better. Boston is tough.

My kids have asthma and they are doing pretty well here. Honestly it does not seem much different than when we lived in Northern NJ. My allergies are worse here, but my kids aren't as bad. This is the first time we have lived in a newer house and I swear that makes a big difference.

The schools here (I am in East Cobb) are top notch. Look and compare SAT scores and you will see. We lived in MA for a while and I think as far as the schools go they are resting on their laurels a bit.

If your potential for earning here is so much better think about how that will influence your kids future. Southerners and the millions of transplants here are very helpful and "softer". I think after the first hectic months you'd fit right in. You know after a few years you can always go back. Maybe then the real estate prices up there will have softened up a bit. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
That is a very tough call. Your quality of life in Atlanta would be much better. Boston is tough.

My kids have asthma and they are doing pretty well here. Honestly it does not seem much different than when we lived in Northern NJ. My allergies are worse here, but my kids aren't as bad. This is the first time we have lived in a newer house and I swear that makes a big difference.

The schools here (I am in East Cobb) are top notch. Look and compare SAT scores and you will see. We lived in MA for a while and I think as far as the schools go they are resting on their laurels a bit.

If your potential for earning here is so much better think about how that will influence your kids future. Southerners and the millions of transplants here are very helpful and "softer". I think after the first hectic months you'd fit right in. You know after a few years you can always go back. Maybe then the real estate prices up there will have softened up a bit. Good luck.
I know the schooling topic is very highly debated..but how about the ATL private schools ..do they compare with the top boston prep schools like PHILIPS academy?

thanks

Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Westminster might compare academically but there is so much more to Philips (and Exeter) than can't be replicated by a non-boarding private school. Are you considering living in Andover and commuting or having your child board?

Admission to Atlanta's top (and I am more than certain Boston) private schools is highly competitive. (I have a friend who moved here from the Northeast a decade ago and was shocked to find this out. She bought a home with no regard for school district because she assumed her child would go private. You know what they say about assuming right?)

How old is your child?

Old 07-12-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Westminster might compare academically but there is so much more to Philips (and Exeter) than can't be replicated by a non-boarding private school. Are you considering living in Andover and commuting or having your child board?

Admission to Atlanta's top (and I am more than certain Boston) private schools is highly competitive. (I have a friend who moved here from the Northeast a decade ago and was shocked to find this out. She bought a home with no regard for school district because she assumed her child would go private. You know what they say about assuming right?)

How old is your child?
if we decide boston ..we will live in the northern suburbs..as my job is in the burlington-peabody area. I called woodward and westminister and they offered me admisson forms for NEXT YEAR ! Makes me wonder that the public schools aren't that great that's why people are all trying to get into theses pvt schools in atl..honestly i don't know how competitive pvt schools are in bos..
my child is 5 yo
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta