Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times

Advertisements

Well, the private school admission season here is roughly from October to late March. All the independent schools that are members of AAAIS (Atlanta Area Association of Independent Schools) have an agreement to send out their acceptance/rejection letters on the same day (always the first Friday of April). So, you're at a disadvantage if you're looking right now for August admission. However, things do change over the summer sometimes (people get transferred out of state, etc...), so just call around to see whether anyone has an opening at the grade level you are considering.

Here is the website that lists all the AAAIS schools:

index.htm

FYI: the "elite" private schools here include: Westminster, Lovett, Pace, Woodward, Marist (grades 7-12), Holy Innocents' Episcopal, Trinity School (3's-6th), among others.

Last edited by CMMom; 07-12-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: clarification re: date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoc View Post
if we decide boston ..we will live in the northern suburbs..as my job is in the burlington-peabody area. I called woodward and westminister and they offered me admisson forms for NEXT YEAR ! Makes me wonder that the public schools aren't that great that's why people are all trying to get into theses pvt schools in atl..honestly i don't know how competitive pvt schools are in bos..
my child is 5 yo
thanks
I think that the top private schools in any major metropolitian area are very competitive. Since your child is 5, Phillips is quite far away in terms of time.

There are some great, good, average and terrible public schools in metro Atlanta just like everywhere else.

When would you move here?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I'm an adult and don't have asthma, but I do wheeze quite a bit on the smog days here. I've only been here a couple of months, but have learned to stay inside on orange days. I moved here from Alabama, and don't really have a problem with pollen, but pollution leaves me with wheezing, streaming eyes, and a headache from hell.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 AM

212 posts, read 546,945 times
Having lived in both I would choose Boston. The asthma would be the number one reason. The second reason would be the museums, arts, education and culture in Boston.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 32,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I'm an adult and don't have asthma, but I do wheeze quite a bit on the smog days here. I've only been here a couple of months, but have learned to stay inside on orange days. I moved here from Alabama, and don't really have a problem with pollen, but pollution leaves me with wheezing, streaming eyes, and a headache from hell.
This asthma thing is the "factor X" ..thanks

Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think that the top private schools in any major metropolitian area are very competitive. Since your child is 5, Phillips is quite far away in terms of time.

There are some great, good, average and terrible public schools in metro Atlanta just like everywhere else.

When would you move here?
we would move in jan/feb 2008

Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
we would move in jan/feb 2008
I assume you mean Jan/Feb. '09. That would give you enough time if you chose to pursue applications for private school for August '09. The admissions season is in high gear from late Jan.-early March. You could probably find a church preschool (or something similar) for the period in between. Will your child be in Pre-K or K this year? You could consider Montessori for a few months before the '09/'10 school year starts.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I assume you mean Jan/Feb. '09. That would give you enough time if you chose to pursue applications for private school for August '09. The admissions season is in high gear from late Jan.-early March. You could probably find a church preschool (or something similar) for the period in between. Will your child be in Pre-K or K this year? You could consider Montessori for a few months before the '09/'10 school year starts.
she will be in k this year...we don't mind a good public elementary school also..if we move to atl any reccs where the smog is less than other places..is alpharetta/johns creek as bad as downtown atl? since i will be working in sany springs..how is the commute from johns creek to sandy springs in peak hours is it reasonable?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:46 PM

254 posts, read 522,118 times
I currently live just outside of Boston and am thinking of moving to Atlanta. My wife and I can not take this weather up here, it is terrible. I have twin 2 1/2 year old boys so I would move to the better school districts towards Cobb county. With that said, I think Private Schools are very over-rated, I grew up with a few friends that attended them and today I am a lot better off than any of them. It is my opinion the way you raise your kid is what matters. Do not get me wrong, I will look for the best Public School when I do move, but I do not intend to send my kid to Private School.

I would visit and see if the asthma is a problem. I have been to Atlanta numerous times and prefer it to Boston. The fact that you can make more in Atlanta is just the icing on the cake.

Plus I am from NY and can not stand the Red Sox fans up here, flipping ridiculous.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
she will be in k this year...we don't mind a good public elementary school also..if we move to atl any reccs where the smog is less than other places..is alpharetta/johns creek as bad as downtown atl? since i will be working in sany springs..how is the commute from johns creek to sandy springs in peak hours is it reasonable?
Others could answer better than me about the commute, but I don't think it would be too outrageous. Of course, outrageous for Atlanta equals more than one hour; 30-45 min. is considered normal here.

The public schools in N. Fulton are quite good as far as I know. Johns Creek, in particular. But, again, others could answer better than me. I'm in northern Sandy Springs (previously considered Dunwoody), and I think that my cluster is mediocre to good; middle school in particular is not great (Sandy Springs Middle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta