U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

There is a little matter not mentioned so far. North Fulton provides a good percentage of the tax base for the county without much say as to how it is used. Thats called taxation without representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM

823 posts, read 1,956,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Warren View Post
There is a little matter not mentioned so far. North Fulton provides a good percentage of the tax base for the county without much say as to how it is used. Thats called taxation without representation.
Umm not it is not. Look up what the word without means. They have representation.

They may not think they have "enough" representation, but they certainly aren't without it.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM

6,911 posts, read 9,596,423 times
Is this still going on? Please tell me no...

As previous posters have said, Atlanta needs to begin thinking regionally, too much splintering and waste already by so many counties and cities. Another layer of government? Please, somebody start thinking the other direction, need mergers not more splinters.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,813,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Is this still going on? Please tell me no...

As previous posters have said, Atlanta needs to begin thinking regionally, too much splintering and waste already by so many counties and cities. Another layer of government? Please, somebody start thinking the other direction, need mergers not more splinters.
It isn't still going on...this thing died a while back as far as I know.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,546,480 times
No, you are wrong. It did not die down. It is simply waiting until the next legislative session to adjorn so the work can begin.

Detail - Sandy Springs - Neighbor Newspapers

And for those who do not know, the incorporation of the North Fulton cities still did not give control to one of the most important thing to North Fulton residents: the schools. With Milton County they could get control of the schools, and stop the busing the Fulton County still carries out. What a waste of tax dollars.

This has been decades coming. Fulton County has long ignored the north, and now they are going to get what they deserve.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,813,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
No, you are wrong. It did not die down. It is simply waiting until the next legislative session to adjorn so the work can begin.

Detail - Sandy Springs - Neighbor Newspapers

And for those who do not know, the incorporation of the North Fulton cities still did not give control to one of the most important thing to North Fulton residents: the schools. With Milton County they could get control of the schools, and stop the busing the Fulton County still carries out. What a waste of tax dollars.

This has been decades coming. Fulton County has long ignored the north, and now they are going to get what they deserve.
Yeah, I think it died down. The article you referenced is dated April 21 and was big news in an obscure suburban newspaper.

If it isn't dead then it should be. It sounds like a few whiny residents of North Fulton thinking that they deserve a bigger voice just because they have more money. We live in a democracy...it doesn't work that way.

This is a stupid idea supported by divisive-minded people...and only provides amunition for more negative criticism - just what Atlanta doesn't need.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 07-15-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,546,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's dead...there wasn't enough suppport for it, and there were too many obstacles in the way. Note the article date (April 21) in an obscure suburban newspaper.

The whole stupid idea was concocted by a small faction of radical residents. Sam Massell doesn't support it, Buckhead residents do not support it. It doesn't have a chance, and that was made clear a long time ago.
Wow. Did you even read the article? Do you know any facts on this issue, or are you just making it up as you go along? Buckhead would not be included. It would include Sandy Springs and the cities north of it. Maybe if you were not so busy spewing ignorance and took some time to actually read, you wold get your facts straight.

The Georgia General Assembly must approve a statewide referendum to allow former counties to recreate themselves, which then must pass. Then, Milton County would have to vote on recreating itself.

Legislative sessions take place in January and February of each year and last only 40 days. Thus, since April is after February, this issue is still current in terms of the next legislative session. It has yet to be voted on and will probably be voted on in the 2010 session.

This definitely has a chance, and I would be surprised if it did not pass since the Majority Whip is Jan Jones (R-Milton) and District 50 State Rep. and Speaker Pro Tem is Mark Burkhalter (R-Johns Creek)... (note the areas they represent.)

Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,809,103 times
BringBackCobain is correct. HR21 and SR 392 are still alive, and Jan Jones continues to lead the way for a Milton County. I am not sure it is economically feasible to do right now, but I would welcome living in a county governed by people who have the same interests as myself and my neighbors. Atlanta has so many problems it drains more than it's share of the available resources.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM

20,935 posts, read 32,927,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Wow. Did you even read the article? Do you know any facts on this issue, or are you just making it up as you go along? Buckhead would not be included. It would include Sandy Springs and the cities north of it. Maybe if you were not so busy spewing ignorance and took some time to actually read, you wold get your facts straight.

The Georgia General Assembly must approve a statewide referendum to allow former counties to recreate themselves, which then must pass. Then, Milton County would have to vote on recreating itself.

Legislative sessions take place in January and February of each year and last only 40 days. Thus, since April is after February, this issue is still current in terms of the next legislative session. It has yet to be voted on and will probably be voted on in the 2010 session.

This definitely has a chance, and I would be surprised if it did not pass since the Majority Whip is Jan Jones (R-Milton) and District 50 State Rep. and Speaker Pro Tem is Mark Burkhalter (R-Johns Creek)... (note the areas they represent.)
A few years ago, who would have thought that cityhood for Sandy Springs and Dunwoody was a possibility? When taxpayers feel they have been treated unfairly by their government, they revolt...history has borne that out time and again. And I think it's safe to say that the Fulton County Commission has treated the taxpayers of north Fulton with complete hubris. I agree; if this happens, Fulton County has no one to blame but itself.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,270,288 times
How about simply consolidate with Forsyth County?? georgia has way too many counties as it is. I could see merging north fulton and forsyth into one county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or