U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times

Advertisements

For some, it may not matter. For others, it may be a factor in your relocation decisions.

Many residents in north Fulton County (Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek) along with many of their elected political representatives, are intent on breaking away from Fulton County and becoming their own: Milton County. Technically, it wouldn't be a "new" county, but an old one that had dissolved during the depression era. Still ...

A county split often means many things, as much as impacts many people. In this instance, if a Milton County were to be formed out of the north part of Fulton, the wealthiest within Fulton would take their tax base, along with much needed resources, and leave. The poorest would have no such luxuries. Schools in the south and central of Fulton would be impacted by drained funds, while schools in the new Milton would get even more funding. Transit, namely MARTA, would be de-funded until it eventually became useless. Traffic would, in turn, get worse (if you could imagine that). And any progress that had been made in the last 30 or 40 years in terms of integrating Fulton's communites, would be turned back. There'd be more hostility and tension than ever.

So if you're considering Alpharetta or Roswell or Johns Creek, this may appeal to you, and you'll know that you're neighbor is probably like-minded. Or it may not appeal to you, in which case, you may want to consider elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 03:16 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,771,750 times
interesting.... thanks for posting this

Old 01-18-2007, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,962 times
Default Milton County

I have been wondering about that lately. There's something hostile and aggressive about the proposed secession. I read in the papers it could cost upwards of a billion dollars in legal fees, studies, restructuring etc for the proposed Milton county. What is the sense in that? Why would the residents of those cities go through such great lengths to break away from Fulton county. I still don't understand their reasoning, and I really would like to before I decide if they have legitimate reasons or if they just want to be exclusive.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,298 times
Its ridiculous that this is even being discussed still. The entire purpose of Sandy Springs, Johns Creek and Milton incorporating was to achieve independence. There is no reason why they need to further break away from Fulton County to gain independence. Furthermore, the plan isn't fiscally responsible and puts the future health of the Atlanta region at risk so a few property owners can save a few bucks on their taxes. Very short sighted.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 PM

985 posts, read 5,217,442 times
The reason given is that North Fulton (Milton) paid 41% of revenue and only received 29% of service. Also there is case of Grady hospital and MARTA. Both entities cost a lot of money for Fulton. A lot of north Fultoners don't want to pay for them, specially Grady that is so far away from North Fulton.

Anyway, I not am saying that I agree with that. Those are reasons given in ajc.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 PM

85 posts, read 459,587 times
Personally, Georgia needs LESS counties, not more. All of Atlanta metro should be probably 2-3 counties, not 13 or whatever it is. When driving around, you cross into a new county every few minutes it seems.

Then again I'm from San Diego, where the county contains the entire metro area and is something like 150 miles long and 100 miles wide.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Its ridiculous that this is even being discussed still. The entire purpose of Sandy Springs, Johns Creek and Milton incorporating was to achieve independence. There is no reason why they need to further break away from Fulton County to gain independence. Furthermore, the plan isn't fiscally responsible and puts the future health of the Atlanta region at risk so a few property owners can save a few bucks on their taxes. Very short sighted.
Short sighted is exactly what it is. And what's ironic is that the head of the Fulton County Taxpayers Association (or something like that) is opposed to it.

But what's frightening is that most of the everyday folks in central and south Fulton have absolutely no idea that this is going on. That is, until MARTA limits its service; police services are cut back; and Grady hospital shuts half its operations down. At that point, Atlanta really would become "Detroit". And it seems to me that many of the pro-Milton folks want just that.

My gosh; I feel like I've just stepped back into the '60s.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 AM

425 posts, read 1,560,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin70 View Post
Personally, Georgia needs LESS counties, not more. All of Atlanta metro should be probably 2-3 counties, not 13 or whatever it is. When driving around, you cross into a new county every few minutes it seems.

Then again I'm from San Diego, where the county contains the entire metro area and is something like 150 miles long and 100 miles wide.
Yes - and add Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside county and that just about covers the entire So Cal.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM

722 posts, read 2,932,157 times
Atlanta and south Fulton don't need north fulton to validate them anymore. They're doing fine on their own.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:20 AM

And I would probably agree. But the Milton Rebels wouldn't be happy with just leaving. They would do their best to drain as many Fulton resources as possible to take with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or