U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 20,185 times

Advertisements

The 504 School is the only private elementary school in Atlanta that specializes in kids who have adhd with hyperactivity. They are fairly new and located in Midtown Atlanta. It's very difficult to get iep support in GA public schools just for adhd issues. Private schools also accept the add kids, but not the adhd kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM

1,748 posts, read 4,919,850 times
I recommend contacting an Educational Psycologist in Atlanta for an evaluation. Your insurance may cover it. Most can recommend schools (both public and private) for you child after they do a full evaluation. My neighbor did this (we are in Cobb county) and ended up sending her child (mild ADD) to St Francis in Roswell. If I can track down the name of the psycologist I will DM it to you.

Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Default St Francis

Background
St. Francis School is a private, nonprofit, nonsectarian school that has been servicing the students of metro Atlanta since 1976. St. Francis is committed to providing an educational program of the highest quality that can meet the needs of students with diverse abilities who would profit from a smaller teacher-pupil ratio than is available in most public or private schools.

St. Francis is accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It is a member of the Georgia Association of Independent Schools and the Atlanta Area Association of Independent Schools.

Tuition runs about 13,000 per year but financial aid is available.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM

25 posts, read 93,641 times
Default will look into your suggestions

thanks so much....

Relocating one person is easy. Relocating a family is arduous -- so many details to consider for everyone.

Practical_Lady (8/06/08)

Old 12-24-2008, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 25,979 times
Default Gwinnett County is the best!

Hi, I have a 10 year old son who is ADHD and medicated. When we first moved to GA in 2004, we did not know his disability. He was in 1st grade for the second time in GA when he was diagnosed as ADHD. Once he was diagnosed and medicated, Gwinnett County schools were able to teach him reading and bring him up to the same level as his classmates in reading. Before the diagnoses, he wasn't reading at all. We were in the county up through 3rd grade and he continued to excel. He is now reading way above grade level and I even find him reading for pleasure which I never thought I would ever see. After moving to NC, the schools here cannot deal with his disability, particularly the insomnia he suffers, GA understood and always worked with us. I pulled him out of NC public schools at the end of October. Working with him at home, he has already surpassed 4th grade reading comprehension and has begun 5th grade. Gwinnett county has some really awesome programs for kids with disabilities. My oldest son has Asperger's syndrome and they had a special program for him too. He was making friends, socializing, it was amazing. In NC, he growls angrily every time we pass by his school. And they don't have any of the cultural or extra curricular activities here that he is accustomed to. In GA, he was in chorus and drama. I had heard bad things about other counties while I was in GA. I really miss the area and wish I had never left.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post
I have heard fantastic things about the Schenk School in Sandy Springs/North Atlanta. Worth checking out....
It is a great school but they will only take students who meet a certain criteria...ie they must first and foremost be dyslexic. ADD and ADHD are okay as long as the initial issue is Dyslexia and your child is not disruptive. If that is your childs issue or one of them (they do go hand in hand many times) then this is a great school. It runs about 23K per year though.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 19,253 times
If you are looking for the 2009/2010 school year the only school in Atanta that is specifically designed for students who have adhd with the bit "H" component is The 504 School in Midtown. The Orton Gillingham approach for reading is used as part of the school day.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 PM

381 posts, read 439,149 times
we moved here from FL to enroll our son with asperger and adhd at the Bedford School located in the border of fairburn and tyrone. well worth the money. give them a call.

-a|ex

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 18,865 times
Default frustrated!!!

Hi All: I am also looking for a school that offers a curriculum for learning differences in Maryland. My son is ADHD and the public school system here just straight out sucks! My son is bright but the school system has a low tolerance for those who cannot keep up. I need an alternative. Any thoughts or suggestions? frustrated in maryland

Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 15,900 times
Does anyone knows any programs that helps with tuitions for 504 schools in mid town atlanta. The funds are extremely too expensive for my pockets but my son really needs to attend this school.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or