Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which method of transportation do you recommend?
Fly up there 17 68.00%
Take Amtrak 7 28.00%
Just suck it up and drive 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 PM

352 posts, read 1,421,116 times

Advertisements

I work in DC a lot and in order of preference would:
Drive, Amtrak, Fly. Driving is still way cheaper with a group of people. I would only use Amtrak with a sleeper carraige and flying is a nightmare. I wish Amtrak was quicker and had more daily service at more convienient times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 51,186 times
I just drove up to D.C. and came back a day ago. I took I-85 and then 95 and surprisingly, the roads weren't busy at all!

SC is scenic
NC has super cheap food
Virginia, you are almost there

Spacy highways, no crazy drivers, gas around $275, I think it's a pretty good deal

Old 07-16-2008, 04:36 PM

111 posts, read 531,094 times
Despite airlines raising ticket prices, you can still get a good deal to BWI, DCA or IAD if you just check.

There are a lot of site that will tell you when fares drop. Also you have to remember that planes don't want to fly empty and that usually means that you can get a good deal if you have good timing. I've seen flights for 79 each way to DC and if I needed to go there, I wouldn't be trying to replicate the 12+ hour drive the first time.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,458 times
Again, thank you all for these tips! Usually, driving up to DC from Atlanta isn't so bad if there is no traffic, however, we're traveling during the Thanksgiving Holiday, so traffic is almost ALWAYS bad. I-95 between Richmond and DC makes the Top End of 285 look like a 2 lane country road in the middle of nowhere.

One of my co-workers has family in the area, and is offering to do a rideshare with us. I'll have to see if my parents are okay with that.

I think I'll 86 Amtrak for now, and debate between flying or driving.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
When I visited the UK and used their train system, it made me wish we had something more like it here in the US. Its not a bad way to travel there but we don't have the coverage like they do.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When I visited the UK and used their train system, it made me wish we had something more like it here in the US. Its not a bad way to travel there but we don't have the coverage like they do.
I've ridden a number of trains in the UK, and I would consider taking the train in the US, but there aren't any routes AT ALL between Atlanta and Minneapolis that don't stop somewhere in Virginia or DC first. Nothing like adding a few hundred unnecessary extra miles to a trip...

Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've ridden a number of trains in the UK, and I would consider taking the train in the US, but there aren't any routes AT ALL between Atlanta and Minneapolis that don't stop somewhere in Virginia or DC first. Nothing like adding a few hundred unnecessary extra miles to a trip...
I think I would like to try it here in the states but not the bare bones travel, I would try it with a sleeper. I have thought about going up on the Auto Train. I would be traveling between Florida and Baltimore.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:05 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think I would like to try it here in the states but not the bare bones travel, I would try it with a sleeper. I have thought about going up on the Auto Train. I would be traveling between Florida and Baltimore.
We've seriously thought about it between ATL and MSP even with all of the added distance, but the cost of the train ends up being more than twice as much as a roundtrip flight ($464 per person round trip versus $198 via air on Midwest) for just a basic coach seat, and the time on Amtrak is around 39 hours each way for ATL->DC->CHI->MSP as opposed to a rather short flight on YX even with the brief connection in MKE.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:19 AM

I have been thinking that one of these days I want to contract nurse in the Boston area. I had thought about taking the Auto Train from here in Sanford, Florida to Baltimore and then driving from there. Yes it would be costly but they have some amazing service, they bill it as being like the Orient Express, it would be an awesome way to get there. They can load my car on the train so I would have it there once I arrive.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:42 AM

269 posts, read 1,066,628 times
Like you, I'd consider all three as possibilities, personally. Here are some considerations.

For me, the train is the most pleasant option. However it is clearly the most expensive, assuming you get any sort of decent airfare.

I enjoy riding on trains. Train stations are so much easier to deal with. The scenery is great. I find the regular "click clack" soothing. It is way less tiring than driving. I'd also say it's less tiring than flying, however, flying usually is so much faster for longer distances that the net effect may favor flying.

The Amtrac is often delayed. However, delays are much less uncomfortable than aircraft delays. I spent 36 hours at Charles de Gaulle once, and it was HORRIBLE. There's nothing worse than sitting on a runway, either.

On the other hand, the more people you have, the more economical driving becomes. With three people, driving is always going to be your least expensive option. Heck, even in Europe it can be cheaper to rent a car and drive (although the train/automobile decision is a lot more favorable to the train in Europed).

Driving is by far the most flexible. It is also the most dangerous.

Age and health are considerations. Young age and good health are a plus for driving. I would add "driving skills" except very few people have the maturity to recognize limitations in their driving skills. For some people, air travel is the only option.

Train usually takes the longest for longer trips, including Atlanta to DC. However, the frequent delays are somewhat tempered by the possibility of disastrous delays in air or automobile travel.

You are traveling to and from a couple of the busiest airports in the world. On the other hand, you are also traveling to a couple cities with extremely congested traffic. It sounds like you might be able to minimize this by traveling off-peak.

One potentially huge advantage in driving is that you have a free car (at least, no rental charge) when you get to your destination.

My bottom line: Train would come in distant last for me, especially for more than one person, due to expense and time.

I personally would probably drive with three people, but both my wife and I are strong drivers. Air might be my choice if I didn't expect to do a lot of driving when I arrived, and would become more and more attractive as the size of my group became smaller. By myself, I would definitely fly and rent a car if I needed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta