U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:56 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,173,446 times

Advertisements

Now, there are other transportation threads going on so we don't need to keep repeating the same old stuff in this one, but I wanted to post the vote results for Gwinnett's vote tonight on MARTA, to show a point.

Here first, are the results broken down by party...

Ok, based on total numbers from both parties put together, then 24,352 people vote YES for MARTA rail in Gwinnett, while 27,523 people voted NO. Republicans voted roughly 2-to-1 against it, while Democrats were roughly the opposite and the majority supported it. So apparently, political party does play a roll as opposed to sheer individualism.

The point however, is to show that just like most other heated topics, that people will go out of their way MUCH more, to get out of the house and go to vote against something they oppose, while supporters of something tend to be a bit complacent, sit back, and don't bother as much to take part. Of course, you see then how the results will be, if you support something and don't get out to vote, too.

This wasn't a "real" vote. Gwinnett leaders are just getting a feel for the trend to see if it will be placed on a real vote later. But if you live in Gwinnett and you DO support rail expansion there, this goes to show you how important it will be during that real vote to get off your butt and get out of the house to your nearest polling place (and to make sure you're registered to vote on time).

Again, let's not hash out the pros and cons of rail in the suburbs - it's been done too much lately on here. But this was just a good example of how much more "umph" people have to get out to vote when they're against something, and shows the power that can be had by doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,332,275 times
I think the key here is that the vote was much closer than it was in 1990 (for a "real" vote). I also believe that, had "MARTA" not shown up in the question, the votes would have been different and more would have voted yes, probably enough to "pass" the measure. I think some of the hesitation is using the word "MARTA". Yes, name matters for some people because of the experiences and impressions it carries.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 AM

263 posts, read 1,022,257 times
We should never hear nobody from Gwinnett County complain about traffic again...lol

Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,360,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
We should never hear nobody from Gwinnett County complain about traffic again...lol
Why? Do you think MARTA will eliminate traffic congestion. Most folks find it hard to believe, but the majority of folks who live in Gwinnett County either work in Gwinnett County or DeKalb.
Even with MARTA you will still have the rows upon rows of automobiles flowing in from Hall, Barrow, and Jackson County on a daily basis.

Commutes aside. When you have a small land mass county such as Gwinnett, packed full with 800,000 people, you can have all the MARTA you want, but trust me as crowded as Gwinnett is (second to Fulton) in population, you will still be able to hear your neighbor fart and of course share the newspaper on I-85.

As far as the vote goes, I was a full fledged NO! I did not vote for MARTA as they want to lay it out. They had a full plan in 2006, which has been posted on this site before, but the beaucrats in Atlanta did not want anything to do with it, nor the state house. Instead they want to pursue this plan that will cost the taxpayers billions with a B, for a current system with deficits 3 years running. Nah! has nothing to do with traffic. Just pure economics.

Remember the Brain Train concept? It's still there, but of course does not serve what the beaucrats want. Plus it will save millions over the current plan that was drafted in about 3 weeks, probably in a bar after a few drinks by the way it looked. Somebody was going to benefit big time off that plan, unfortunately it would not be the citizens of GA's pocketbooks.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 AM

193 posts, read 623,548 times
What are you scared of Gwinnett? I personally would be more afraid of what would come OUT of Gwinnett that what goes in there. Just off the top of my head, let’s see, Dunwoody, Buckhead, Decatur, all these have rail stations and are more desirable than some neglected picket fence exurb in Gwinnett. You people really enjoy sitting on I-85 every morning and afternoon wasting your life away in traffic? That’s just sad.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,767,574 times
I remember all the debate in Dunwoody back in the 80's and 90's over Marta coming in and after a few years of having the various stations, I would say that, although crime and nuisances have increased slightly because of it (the former confirmed by a relative on the DkPD, the latter observed being asked for money by loiterers near stations and at gas stations near stations), ultimately it has been a really good thing. Specifically, I would say that it has driven a lot of growth in the Perimeter Center area, and I like the fact that if gas goes totally out of control, I could take it to work in Midtown if I had to. Also, it is a great tool for getting to/from the airport if I know I will be going/coming during rush hour traffic.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

This wasn't a "real" vote. Gwinnett leaders are just getting a feel for the trend to see if it will be placed on a real vote later. But if you live in Gwinnett and you DO support rail expansion there, this goes to show you how important it will be during that real vote to get off your butt and get out of the house to your nearest polling place.
Unfortunately, I think these vote results ensure that there won't be a real vote on this issue for many, many years. A lot of today's young retirees are going to be dead of old age before we see a real vote.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

193 posts, read 623,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I like the fact that if gas goes totally out of control, I could take it to work in Midtown if I had to.
I switched from drive-alone commute to the Sandy Springs station -> Midtown station and love it. The average total trip time is a little longer but it is a constant, predictable time and the time can be spent doing other productive things like reading or email. And the days of spending 2 hours in traffic because it's raining are over for me!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 AM

826 posts, read 2,782,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
I switched from drive-alone commute to the Sandy Springs station -> Midtown station and love it. The average total trip time is a little longer but it is a constant, predictable time and the time can be spent doing other productive things like reading or email. And the days of spending 2 hours in traffic because it's raining are over for me!
Amen, I have an commute from in-town to Sandy Springs. I am so much happier on Marta. I love being able to read and brush up on my foreign language skills while commuting.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 AM

263 posts, read 1,022,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Why? Do you think MARTA will eliminate traffic congestion. Most folks find it hard to believe, but the majority of folks who live in Gwinnett County either work in Gwinnett County or DeKalb.
Even with MARTA you will still have the rows upon rows of automobiles flowing in from Hall, Barrow, and Jackson County on a daily basis.

Commutes aside. When you have a small land mass county such as Gwinnett, packed full with 800,000 people, you can have all the MARTA you want, but trust me as crowded as Gwinnett is (second to Fulton) in population, you will still be able to hear your neighbor fart and of course share the newspaper on I-85.

As far as the vote goes, I was a full fledged NO! I did not vote for MARTA as they want to lay it out. They had a full plan in 2006, which has been posted on this site before, but the beaucrats in Atlanta did not want anything to do with it, nor the state house. Instead they want to pursue this plan that will cost the taxpayers billions with a B, for a current system with deficits 3 years running. Nah! has nothing to do with traffic. Just pure economics.

Remember the Brain Train concept? It's still there, but of course does not serve what the beaucrats want. Plus it will save millions over the current plan that was drafted in about 3 weeks, probably in a bar after a few drinks by the way it looked. Somebody was going to benefit big time off that plan, unfortunately it would not be the citizens of GA's pocketbooks.

Like I said, I never again want someone from Gwinnett to complain about Atlanta traffic again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or