U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 20,999,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
There aren't any upscale predominately African American neighborhoods in Metro Atlanta with good schools. There are a few upscale black communities but they all have bad schools. Cascade inside the perimeter is where the "old-money" black people live. The public high schools in the area(Therrel and Mays) are two of the worst schools in the city though. West Cascade, outside of 285 is zoned to Westlake High School along with the affluent predominately Black Sandtown community. Westlake and Sandton Middle School are among the lowest rated schools in Fulton County. The Math and Science Magnet at Westlake is great but the rest of the school in somehow ghetto. Don't ask me how that's possible when most of the new homes in the area are starting in the 300s and 400s and going up from there. A. Philip Randolph Elem. which serves most of zip 30331 in Sandtown is actually a pretty good school though with great parental involvement. After that though, most of the children end up going to Woodward Academy.

South Dekalb's "upscale" black areas are Stone Mountain and Lithonia. Only certain subdivisions are upscle though. Most of the area is undesirable and when you drive out of your subdivions of $800,000 homes, you feel like you are back in the ghetto. The areas in SW Fulton are affluent on the whole compared with South Dekalb's affluent pockets. Lithonia High School is pathetic. Stephenson High School in Stone Mountian is ok by GA standards but schools in North Dekalb are much better. MLK High School, also in Lithonia scores poorly as well but they have a new IB magnet which should bring up the school's academics and provide your child with a decent education if they choose that route.

The fact is that most of the parents who live in these area's got tired of asking for funding for new schools(due to overcrowding) and better teachers along with better programs. Westlake High School has like 20 something trailers and has been on a waiting list to rebuilt for years while almost all of the North Fulton Schools have been rebuilt. So these affluent Black parents bus their kids to the schools in Northern Atlanta(Buckhead), Northern Dekalb, and North Fulton. The rest send their kids to private schools. Most of the students in the neighborhod public schools in these areas live in the older less expensive homes.

If you can't afford private school ar do not want to bus your kid to the opposite side of town just to have them get a decent edcation then you might want to consider a more mixed area. Tyrone is a good choice as many affluent Black families are moving there. Fayetteville is experiencing the same thing. And the schools in Fayette County are among the best in the state. While your kids would not be the majority in their neighborhoods or schools, they wouldn't end up feeling like they are the oddballs out either as the areas are steadily diversifying.
This whole post is completely untrue. This person has no idea what they are talking about.

This person equates "blackness" with bad and ghetto.

Never judge a school by test scores or arbitrary statistics or those "lists". Like someone mentioned, you must go to the school and see for yourself. Read between the lines.

Mays High School is excellent and attracts students from throughout the metro area. Therrell is also decent and is on the up and up. Westlake High is crowded but has a good reputation (plus a new high will open to relieve Westlake and Creekside High within the next two years).

Affluent South DeKalb...top middle/upper-middle/upper class black high schools:

Southwest DeKalb
Cedar Grove
ML King
Stephenson
Redan
Lithonia
Miller Grove
Stone Mountain
(plus Arabia Mountain will open within the next two years)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,239,855 times
Hi, Think hard about whether or not you really want to live in a predominantly African-American neighborhood. From what I've seen the best neighborhoods inside the city are very very mixed. It's usually more aligned with parent's education than race. The positive of this is that these neighborhoods provide a comfortable living for people of all ethnicities and races.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,293,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fififarrah View Post
It's unbelieveably hard to sell your house in Atlanta so make sure where you buy is where you want to live.
Atlanta is no harder than the rest of the country. We're in a housing slump everywhere.

Areas like Butner Rd off Camp Creek Pkwy are really good areas (Sandtown community). Sandtown has things like occasional black music festivals and events, and it's also a great place to raise a kid, so it's probably the kind of thing you're looking for. Much of metro ATL has a high black population, but areas to the North are generally more diverse than areas to the South, which are primarily black. What I've noticed is that although it is primarily black, sandtown is starting to have more white people move in, so there's a little diversity. I personally think it's important that children grow up in an area with a little diversity but can understand wanting them to being exposed to a specific culture, however wanting my child to grow up in a diverse area one of the reasons that being white I avoid all-white areas and chose a diverse area to live. I think white people moving into primarily white areas and black people moving into primarily black areas is doing a lot of harm to metro ATL. The diverse areas are generally in the North metro (Cobb, Sandy Springs, Gwinnett, etc), but not too far North because then it becomes too white (e.g. Cherokee + Forsyth counties).

You may also want to check out Austell. It has a cute downtown and some affluent primarily black neighborhoods around Austell and Thornton Rd. And check out Gwinnett County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent
Don't ask me how that's possible when most of the new homes in the area are starting in the 300s and 400s and going up from there.
The how is private schools. It's like that in a lot of metro ATL (Mableton is a good example). The schools will improve once enough taxes have been collected :-)

Last edited by netdragon; 01-06-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 AM

11 posts, read 60,631 times
there seems to be alot of focus on race, i wanted to take away the negative stigma, becuase if worded correctly, is a legitamate question.
i'm considering moving to atlanta from chicago, i am puerto rican and korean.
chicago, is extremely diverse but the south side is predominatly black or hispanic neighborhoods.
i am looking for middle class, and i mean middle, working class, not corporate upper class executive neighborhoods(does that make sense), to move to, and i am curious about race in neighborhoods. I wouldn't be comfortable being the only non white or non black family in the neighborhood as dumb as that sounds, but i'm just bering honest, and i'm hoping for honest replies.
im all about assimilation but i'm also very curious

Old 01-07-2008, 07:37 AM

16 posts, read 68,723 times
Camp Creek is an up and coming area with a lot of new construction and typically African American. Anywhere outside of the 285 loop on the east side is good also. The Panola Road area off I-20 West is outside of the city, but, it is a solidly middle to upper middle class African American area. There are good churches and I like the people in the area. Once again, solid middle to upper middle class African American good people on Panola Road - North of I-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or