U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,873,868 times

Advertisements

I think Chris Rock is full of it, especially when he says men don't care about hair. I just did a rebuttal post on the Newsweek blog. Allison Samuels, a regular over there, did a hit piece on Zahara Jolie-Pitt. I responded scathingly on my blog and they asked me to post on their blog as well. Here's the link:
Roslyn Hardy Holcomb: Hair Don'ts Hold Us Back - The Human Condition Blog - Newsweek.com

You'll see one of the responders identifies himself as male, spouting about what he prefers in a woman. Uh, dude, we're talking about a four-year-old here. Again with the entitlement. BTW, I'm a former LHCFer. Been natural since 1998, locced since 2005.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,873,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd1588 View Post
My African sisters PLEASE Stop destroying your REAL natural African hair! Its killing our community.
I am so glad I missed this post. Hair? Hair? Hair? Hair is killing our community. If this wasn't so pathetic it would be almost laughable. Black people are being slaughtered in the streets, primarily by other black people and you're fretting about PROTEIN, and DEAD PROTEIN at that. Yeah, it's best I missed this little nugget the first time around.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

926 posts, read 1,861,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I am so glad I missed this post. Hair? Hair? Hair? Hair is killing our community. If this wasn't so pathetic it would be almost laughable. Black people are being slaughtered in the streets, primarily by other black people and you're fretting about PROTEIN, and DEAD PROTEIN at that. Yeah, it's best I missed this little nugget the first time around.
Exactly my sentiment. It was that post that made me comment initially! Great article, btw. I hope the day comes in my lifetime when the majority of Black women and society as a whole can embrace all of our nappy glory!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,921,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunta'skizzie View Post
Ladies!!!! The Dominicans are not the answers to all our problems. When we allow our hair to be natural, it is the healthiest. Yes it is hard to manage sometimes but so worth it to keep some of the heat out of it. I don't have anything against Dominican Salons, but i do have something against salons that can't tell me anything about my hair only sit in my chair and let me break half of it off trying to get it straight, and burn your scalp with this high powered blow dryer. They treat your hair so rough it is as if we are paying the price for having a tighter curl pattern. Please look for salons that cater to OUR hair. Dominicans only know how to use excessive heat to straighten our hair. They don't know the first thing about African-American hair care. They don't care either! Ladies in the Atlanta area, if you are having problems finding salons that do natural hair, your head must be in the sand... they are everywhere from Little Five Points to Decatur to Buckhead. Try Too Groovy- 3 African American married couples own these salons and are into real hair care. Try Oh My Nappy Hair, and Sweet Potato Pie in Little 5 Points..and tons of others. Also please stay away from all these other nationalities breaking into the Black hair market. Where were they in the days of hot combs and afro puffs? They only want your money...they are NOT interested in keeping your hair healthy! Please take some time to know, understand and appreciate you grade of hair. Until I went natural...I thought I had the most unmanageable hair...not true. My texture changed drastically when I stop putting the chemicals in it. My real texture came through. It is still a little kinky...but nothing like the way it felt when it was time for a retouch when I wore the perm. I love my hair and I'm happy nappy-this is the hair that the Creator gave me. Love your hair enough to treat it right. Do you want your hair to grow??? Stop putting chemicals in it. They are too harsh for our hair. It's not as bad as Bantu and Design Essentials wants you to believe. Too much heat is not good. The round brush may be cheap, but you will eventually pay for it after your hair begins to thin. Patronize black salons that can do the same job you like in addition to educating you about how to care for your hair.

Read more: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! African American women who needs GOOD hair salon
Why is it that all natural heads speak of god or "the creator" when speaking about going natural? Ladies its your hair. Do what you pelase with. Straight, weaved, braided, permed, afro, dreads, whatever. I prefer permed for myself but that isjust me who am I to tell another woman how to wear her hair? But most natural heads dont quite understand that.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 AM

436 posts, read 453,976 times
Great article!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 PM

296 posts, read 711,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunta'skizzie View Post
Ladies!!!! The Dominicans are not the answers to all our problems. When we allow our hair to be natural, it is the healthiest. Yes it is hard to manage sometimes but so worth it to keep some of the heat out of it. I don't have anything against Dominican Salons, but i do have something against salons that can't tell me anything about my hair only sit in my chair and let me break half of it off trying to get it straight, and burn your scalp with this high powered blow dryer. They treat your hair so rough it is as if we are paying the price for having a tighter curl pattern. Please look for salons that cater to OUR hair. Dominicans only know how to use excessive heat to straighten our hair. They don't know the first thing about African-American hair care. They don't care either! Ladies in the Atlanta area, if you are having problems finding salons that do natural hair, your head must be in the sand... they are everywhere from Little Five Points to Decatur to Buckhead. Try Too Groovy- 3 African American married couples own these salons and are into real hair care. Try Oh My Nappy Hair, and Sweet Potato Pie in Little 5 Points..and tons of others. Also please stay away from all these other nationalities breaking into the Black hair market. Where were they in the days of hot combs and afro puffs? They only want your money...they are NOT interested in keeping your hair healthy! Please take some time to know, understand and appreciate you grade of hair. Until I went natural...I thought I had the most unmanageable hair...not true. My texture changed drastically when I stop putting the chemicals in it. My real texture came through. It is still a little kinky...but nothing like the way it felt when it was time for a retouch when I wore the perm. I love my hair and I'm happy nappy-this is the hair that the Creator gave me. Love your hair enough to treat it right. Do you want your hair to grow??? Stop putting chemicals in it. They are too harsh for our hair. It's not as bad as Bantu and Design Essentials wants you to believe. Too much heat is not good. The round brush may be cheap, but you will eventually pay for it after your hair begins to thin. Patronize black salons that can do the same job you like in addition to educating you about how to care for your hair.

Read more: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! African American women who needs GOOD hair salon
Wow! I understand your point, but I disagree. The one point I'm surprised no one has mentioned is the beautiful versatility of black hair. Black women can rock so many different styles and I believe that's what makes our hair so unique. I've seen women with 'fros, dreads, braids, relaxers, bald, long hair, short hair; you name it and we could probably do it. In fact, I've done most of it.

My hair gets a little bit of a curly fro if I let it air-dry and all I have to do is throw a pretty head band on it and go. Or if I'm patient and in the mood, I bust out the Chi (love 'em!) and can go straight. My white girlfriends are always envious of my natural volume whether it's straight or curly. I LOVE THE VERSATILITY OF MY HAIR!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 PM

65 posts, read 159,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I think Chris Rock is full of it, especially when he says men don't care about hair. I just did a rebuttal post on the Newsweek blog. Allison Samuels, a regular over there, did a hit piece on Zahara Jolie-Pitt. I responded scathingly on my blog and they asked me to post on their blog as well. Here's the link:
Roslyn Hardy Holcomb: Hair Don'ts Hold Us Back - The Human Condition Blog - Newsweek.com

You'll see one of the responders identifies himself as male, spouting about what he prefers in a woman. Uh, dude, we're talking about a four-year-old here. Again with the entitlement. BTW, I'm a former LHCFer. Been natural since 1998, locced since 2005.
Great article! one day we'll get there . . .

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 AM

13 posts, read 37,375 times
Default Get a clue please, enough!!!

First of all I would like to say respectfully, please don't be brained washed. You said that as an African American woman you spend a lot of time in the salon and all races spend a lot of time in the salon the only difference is that society makes us feel as though we need more help than everybody else and we buy into it.

Second of all you do not need good hair. Let's get past that and say that you already have good hair because any hair is good. If you are bald then I can understand your statement but if you have a little bit of hair then it's good. A better way to phrase that would be I would like my hair to be more manageable.

Third, yes I do have a suggestion that would help you get a good beautician. I leave North of Atlanta but I think this works in all areas. I found a few good beauticians and I noticed a pattern, they all said that they came from New York, New Jersey or Philadelphia. My best beautician is from Queens, NY. Not to say that the beauticians from GA aren't great also. I found a couple that are good but they do not know how to still the right way. My suggestion would be to call all of the beauty salons in your area and ask a lot of questions like you would a doctor to see if he or she is the right person for you whether they are from the north or the south.

I agree with what was said about the Dominicans being our only hope. Please stop it now. I went to a Dominican salon once and they treated me like trash.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:46 AM

13 posts, read 37,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk9798 View Post
There is too much on that forum. I got this book and it has the best tips on how to grow your hair. Love it!!! This is How to Grow Black, Curly Hair Long and Fast
I have been going natural for about a year now but I cannot get ride of the curling iron habit. My hair is still too short to go natural. How will this book help me?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,021 times
Default Be Sharp Hair Designs (404) 333-5861

Licensed 23 yrs- specialize in chemical processing and treatment of damaged hair located in Buckhead Atlanta, Ga feel free to call- also work with natural hair Press-N-Curl cut, color and color corrections-SEW-Ns. I will recommend what is good for your hair and nothing more. I work because I need money, but I want repeat customers so I am fair and honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_lowe1120 View Post
As a african american 25yr. I spend a lot of time at the hair salon, the same person has done my hair for the past 10 yrs. What are the best hair salons in ATL for african american hair?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or