Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times

Advertisements

Where can I find a good deal on hardwood floors. We need a lighter colored engineered wood, like bamboo or maple. But, we are looking to pay no more than $2.50 a square foot. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
At $2.50/sf, you're going to be stuck with either laminate flooring, or some so-so engineered wood. Lumber Liquidators has stores in Marietta and Conyers, and they're currently showing some bamboo on clearance for $1.99/sf. Bear in mind that in that price range you're often either getting closeouts (so pray that you don't run short or want to extend the wood to another room later) or #2 grade material with imperfections, knots, wide color/grain variations, etc.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
At $2.50/sf, you're going to be stuck with either laminate flooring, or some so-so engineered wood. Lumber Liquidators has stores in Marietta and Conyers, and they're currently showing some bamboo on clearance for $1.99/sf. Bear in mind that in that price range you're often either getting closeouts (so pray that you don't run short or want to extend the wood to another room later) or #2 grade material with imperfections, knots, wide color/grain variations, etc.
Someone mentioned Lumber Liquidators to me, but is the bamboo engineered? One person told me that there is no such thing and that all bamboo works like engineered wood because of how it is made and can be used on cement or plywood. Do you know if there is any truth to this?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,787 times
Lumber Liquidators, Floor and Decor Outlet, or try one of the many flooring places up in Dalton.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
I've heard that bamboo flooring dents really easily and doesn't look good very long. Something to check into....

Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I've heard that bamboo flooring dents really easily and doesn't look good very long. Something to check into....
What would you suggest (that's nice looking, engineered, a lighter shade, and relatively inexpensive - besides laminate)?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What would you suggest (that's nice looking, engineered, a lighter shade, and relatively inexpensive - besides laminate)?
Natural maple. As was mentioned above, bamboo is not a very durable wood- it's main allure recently is due to it's "green" properties- it grows very fast and can be harvested every few years, versus oak, maple, etc., which take far longer to grow to adequate size. IMO, you'd be far better off with maple.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Natural maple. As was mentioned above, bamboo is not a very durable wood- it's main allure recently is due to it's "green" properties- it grows very fast and can be harvested every few years, versus oak, maple, etc., which take far longer to grow to adequate size. IMO, you'd be far better off with maple.
Thanks. We found some nice oak floors today. I dropped my keys on a sample of solid bamboo and it was so badly dented, the salesperson had to take it off the shelf.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
We've had oak at two houses now and it performs well. Almost any hardwood would get marked up with keys falling on them, especially if it is site-finished. I think pre-finished/engineered has a harder coat of polyurethane on it. Only problem with pre-finished is, depending on the thickness of the hardwood layer on top, you are limited to how many times you can refinish them (usually not really that big a deal...how often do you need to refinish hardwoods). I think both types come out costing the same - you save money on the front end by purchasing unfinished hardwood, but get killed on the installation and finishing (staining and poly-coating), whereas the engineered flooring is more expensive but installation is easier/cheaper.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Bob, would you recommend maple even in a kitchen application? We're looking to re-do ours, personally I prefer vinyl, but in this neighborhood we have to go with either tile or wood. I have a bad back and refuse to have a tile floor. We've got hardwood through the rest of the house and are thinking about putting it in there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta