U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,794 times

Advertisements

This message is for DoveDiva. I am also new to this area and had moved from Miami a month ago. How long have you lived in this area? I do like it because it is very quiet and decided to move here so my kids can grow in a nicer and safer place. I am interested in getting more information in regards to school and activities. My son will start kindergarten this year and he will be going to Chapel Hill Elementary. Thanks any advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM

563 posts, read 2,505,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmin15 View Post
This message is for DoveDiva. I am also new to this area and had moved from Miami a month ago. How long have you lived in this area? I do like it because it is very quiet and decided to move here so my kids can grow in a nicer and safer place. I am interested in getting more information in regards to school and activities. My son will start kindergarten this year and he will be going to Chapel Hill Elementary. Thanks any advice is welcome.
Hello!

I left Miami in 2003...and have lived in the area since then, with the exception of 1 year (2005-2006...went into labor while on vacation in Virginia Beach and just stayed for a while, but that's another thread)

Chapel Hill Elem. is a solid school. My hairstylist's daughter attends there and has nothing but good things to say. I'd send my son there with no problem (he's not school age at the present time) The test scores are solid, and the school is racially and socioeconomically diverse.

In regards to activities and things to do, check out the Chapel Hill News and Views Magazine. It's delivered once a month to everyone who lives in Douglasville. Pretty much anything that's going on in the Douglasville area is listed there.

I hope this helps, and welcome to Douglasville

Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,794 times
Thanks for your message. I am having a hard time adjusting to the commute to downtown for my work. I don't know how long it will last. I hope Douglasville can offer more corporate jobs so I don't have to commute that much. I have also drove around looking for parks and playground. I have a 19 month old daughter that loves to play and get on the slide and swings.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrac View Post
Moving from New Jersey with children 11,13,14,17. Considering Douglasville GA.

Does anyone know about :
Schools
Crime
Drugs
What do kids do out there

Any info would be great.
Thank you

i'm going to tell you how douglasville is, straight up, because it seems like many of these people aren't quite aware of it. it is rated as one of the top places in the united states for crystal meth use. drug use is pretty high here. in terms of schools, i would recommend chapel hill elementary and chapel hill middle school, but as far as high schools go i would say alexander high. chapel hill high school is the school i attend, and it is the last school you would want for your children. as far as what kids do, there is pretty much nothing. you are either the kind of kid that likes to go to the mall every weekend and shop, or you're probably getting into trouble that your parents may or may not know about. i would say get your children into dance, cheerleading, or some type of sport to keep them on the right track. dance is very popular for girls out here so if you have a daughter she'd probably make alot of GOOD friends that way. crime rate isnt too high, and like other people said, its mainly just drugs (and thats mainly marijuana i'd say).

Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,578,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantoni_bishes View Post
i'm going to tell you how douglasville is, straight up, because it seems like many of these people aren't quite aware of it. it is rated as one of the top places in the united states for crystal meth use. drug use is pretty high here.
Um... dantoni.... did you notice that the poster who asked the question about Douglasville posted her question last January? Most likely she/he isn't going to see your answer - and especially since this thread hasn't been active since June. Maybe it'll help out anyone else moving to Douglasville, though.

A reminder folks - from time to time people post answers to questions that are up to TWO YEARS OLD in here. Check those dates!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
Douglasville is a nice place for the most part. The city is nice and has all the shopping you would ever want. As for crime, it does have a small share of ghettoites and white trash but not too much of either. And the cops in Douglasville are very aggressive about dealing with troublemakers and the Douglas County courts don't play. A crime that would get you 3 years in Fulton County will get you 20 in Douglas. Douglas County sends more people to prison for longer terms than about 90% of the counties in Georgia. So it is pretty safe.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:28 PM

642 posts, read 1,936,129 times
Currently live in Lithia Springs. We were on the verge of buying a house here in Lithia Springs but we backed off after the home inspection last weekend. But just yesterday we had our our offer accepted on a brand new home in Douglasville in the vicinity of Hwy 5 thtat has more of what we were looking for also. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Currently live in Lithia Springs. We were on the verge of buying a house here in Lithia Springs but we backed off after the home inspection last weekend. But just yesterday we had our our offer accepted on a brand new home in Douglasville in the vicinity of Hwy 5 thtat has more of what we were looking for also. Funny how things work out sometimes.
Actually very little of what was Lithia Springs is left anymore. Since it was disincorporated as a city, Douglasville has annexed about everything to Thornton Road which is where Cobb County starts.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM

17 posts, read 48,051 times
Move to Kennesaw... excellent schools and virtually no crime and easy access to hwys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or