U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 36,133 times

Advertisements

Moving from New Jersey with children 11,13,14,17. Considering Douglasville GA.

Does anyone know about :
Schools
Crime
Drugs
What do kids do out there

Any info would be great.
Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM

426 posts, read 2,109,794 times
I personally don't know too much about Douglasville but wanted to tell you the little I do know beause I noticed everyone was ignoring your post. Douglas County is one of the last bastions of affordable housing in Metro Atlanta. New homes are still going up in the high 100s to low 300s range. My favorite community out there is Chapel Hills, because the home styles are so different. The schools are all average, not good or bad, just average, and that's by GA standards. If are moving here from the north or from the west the schools probably would not stack up to the schools you are leaving. And Douglassville is far from any reputable private schools. Perks of living there includes a 30 minute commute into downton in traffic, Arbor Place Mall(which is the area's regional mall), and the Hwy. 5 corridor which has everything you'll need in the way of shopping and dining.

Metro kids from Douglassville to Buckhead like hanging out in parking lots for some reason. In Buckhead all the private school kids hang out in the lots lining Northside Pkwy. and West Paces. For Smyrna its the Village Green. In Douglassville Hwy. 5 seems to be the hangout zone. I wouldn't worry too much about drugs since Douglassville is your average middle class suburb. To be honest, your teens are going to be bored out of their minds thoughi...there's not much activity out that way. I would suggest enrolling them in sports activities or in fine arts programs as soon as they get down here because suburban kids with nothing to do can get into ALOT of trouble(i.e., drugs, knocking down mailboxes, illeagle pranks, etc.).

Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 PM

563 posts, read 2,505,624 times
I'm just noticing this...

I live in Douglasville. To me, Douglasville is QUIET. (I'm originally from Miami)
The schools are simply average, but whatever you do, stay far far away from any school that feeds into Stewart Middle. The school hasn't made AYP in about three years and goes through so many administrative changes that it's insane. The best school feeder pattern out here in my opinion is the Chapel Hill school district. The homes around those schools are nice as well, but a bit far out (in my opinion)

Crime: Things DO happen out here, but mainly burglaries, etc. Murders and assaults are RARE out here.

Drugs: Drugs are everywhere. Don't fool yourself. I'm sure there's a crystal meth lab somewhere out here, and a marijuana dealer, etc. We haven't had any major drug busts or anything very recently.

Kids activities: Hmm. We have parks, Little Leagues--football, softball, basketball, soccer, Dance Studios, Swim Teams, a Chuck E. Cheese, another one of those Chuck E. Cheese type places, THE MALL (ha ha), basically your typical suburban things to do.

It's a great suburb to raise your kids--you are close enough to the city, but far enough to have a decent quality of life without breaking the bank.

I hope this helps!

Edited to add: The Paulding county side of Douglasville (very small part of Paulding) feeds into either Dobbins Middle or South Paulding Middle. I've heard nothing overly negative about these schools from my colleagues who teach in Paulding--just typical middle school happenings (and I teach middle school). I want to say that the high school for the area is Hiram High--test scores aren't great, but I haven't heard anything negative about the school.

Last edited by DoveDiva; 01-25-2007 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: added more information

Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 PM

11 posts, read 88,622 times
I live in Douglasville, as well. The home prices are great - I have a 5000 sq ft home for around $300k. The schools are average, but there are accessible private schools. There is also a new charter School (Brighten Academy) - this is the first year for it. Alexander, Chapel Hill and Holly Springs are the better public school district. There isn't much in the way of major crime here; it's pretty quiet. Drugs are drugs everywhere, but you won't see any dealing on the corner around here! There is a mall here, movie theater, bowling, skating, etc. Kids do like to hang out in Walmart parking lots, for some reason. It's a great family area, and it's not far from everything else - about 20 mins from the city and the airport.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 AM

115 posts, read 478,634 times
are there any nearby shopping malls, walmarts, grocery stores?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
There is a mall of I-20 in Douglasville called Arbor Place. It is your typical suburban mall. There is plenty of shopping and a walmart near the mall.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
I did some Contract work (programming) with Douglas County Sheriff's office in Douglasville last year on their Jail Mgt System last year.

I would say crime there isn't any worse than anywhere else. Most people were in the jail for burglary or drugs.

There was a major drug bust, but that's b/c of I-20 trafficking. The cops sit on that road and pull over rigs all the time.

Some employees claimed the City/County had stopped issuing new permits for major construction to control growth, temporarily.

As far as the area, I like it, still some country out there with several horse farms

Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Douglas County is one of the last bastions of affordable housing in Metro Atlanta.
Having moved down here from the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, everything in the Atlanta area seems inexpensive (and hence affordable) for what you get.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:51 PM

563 posts, read 2,505,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post

But of course.

We have at LEAST seven grocery stores (Publix, Krogers, Ingles), Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, HHGregg, Arbor Place Mall(anchor stores are Macy's, Parisian/Belk, Dillards, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond, Old Navy, and JCPenney); smaller stores such as Pier 1, The Bombay Company, Ross, Marshalls, goodness, you name it, we probably have it.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
There is a mall of I-20 in Douglasville called Arbor Place. It is your typical suburban mall. There is plenty of shopping and a walmart near the mall.
But keep in mind that Arbor Place mall has recently had some troubles with teen crime/gang activity outside of the mall (and some teen issues inside). They have recently put new rules into place that prohibit teens from being in the malls after a certain time of day without an adult as a result of this. Here is a link to the policy info: http://www.arborplace.com/shop/arbor.nsf/security

Also, make note that some areas of Douglasville have VERY high traffic (along Hwy 92, etc). So if you're looking for a low traffic area, that aint it... though it's better in some ways than other burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or