U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM

35 posts, read 79,336 times

Advertisements

Some people seem to be a little harsh on Ohio hah. I just moved down here from the Toledo area (BGSU if anyone is familiar with the areas) and I've lived in Tiffin my entire life till coming down for grad school at GaTech. First off I would never think Atlanta is country at all and I never understood how people could think so. I do agree though that Ohio's populations are more evenly spread out into more cities and Georgia's populations are concentrated to a few major cities. Columbus and Dayton really aren't good cities to compare too; first off Columbus is basically the last major economic city we have in Ohio and almost everyone is moving there for work. Fill it with alcohol, OSU, and sports and I can understand why people think Columbus individuals are a bit snippy. Dayton has pretty much been at a standstill, Cincy is making a little bit of a comeback, Cleveland...well Cleveland just sucks, and Toledo is actually pretty steady. I worked as an Intern-Architect in Toledo for over two years and based on the projects we completed it was nice to see that at least some jobs were being created and drawing more people into the city.

We had our mailboxes right off our house in Tiffin, Ohio and the mailman/woman walked from house to house. I guess the small town atmosphere is what I miss most. Going from store to store and always seeing someone you know, being able to ride your bike throughout downtown and the streets being almost dead, just hanging out and walking around downtown not worrying about walking into a shady area and getting jumped.

To compare weather I'd have to say I love it down here. Granted I miss the snow storms and cold but it's something I can do without; and since it snowed down just recently I call it a win-win. The summers down here are hot as hell but the weather is nice and I live right on the Chattahoochee River so if I ever need a dunk all I gotta do is hop in. Job market wise there is more available down here but what do you expect? Even for my market, being an Architect, there's just more going on, more warm weather and milder climates mean more building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM

228 posts, read 392,726 times
Definetley move to Atlanta. The climate is a lot better and the economy is stronger. Atlanta is an international city.

However, it's tough for anybody anywhere in the U.S to find a job because of the recession(depression).

Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 AM

314 posts, read 525,003 times
Quote:
Cleveland...well Cleveland just sucks,
LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgA...eature=related

"our main export is depression"

Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 16,411 times
Dytdude, congrats on getting ready to graduate, thats such a great accomplishment. With that said, finding a job in the ATL area is tough and is going to take some time. I am from Columbus,OH and my wife recently moved to the ATL because she got a job relocation. I am still in Columbus and I fly down to the ATL to visit my wife often. I been applying since October and still haven't had much luck. I am not in HR, but I am in IT management.

Reality is that the job market is tough and alot of competition, plus the economy as you know doesn't help the situation. The key to getting a job sooner then later in Atlanta is based on networking and being at the right place at the right time.

Be patient and stay motivated if you are serious about moving to the ATL, its definitely worth it long term.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

14,479 posts, read 7,121,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
Mailboxes on the street and wildflowers, huh?
The wildflowers signs are just there and there aren't any wildflowers where the signs are. It would be nice if there actually were flowers. This sign is on the free way where 285 and I20 intersect at MLK in Adamsville, where I used to live. It is ridiculous to put up a sign without the actual flowers. I figure it is just an excuse not to cut the grass in that neighborhood since the grass is taller than me during some parts of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
And where do you Live? because I dont see that where I live?
I live in Vine City/English Avenue, but have only been here for a short while. I have lived all over the metro area in the last 12 years from Smyrna and Marietta and Mableton and Riverdale to College Park and in between. I can't believe some of you don't see how horrible the landscaping is in the metro area and that public land really doesn't get taken care of, especially in the city in a lot of neighborhoods. I'll post some pics in your pic thread so you can see. There's also a bunch of trash all over the place in the overgrown areas, and let me repeat, the areas I'm talking about are not from abandoned houses or anything, mostly by the interstates where the city doesn't take care of it's properties.

But thought of another thing that is different and kind of country too. The fact that there aren't a lot of sidewalks here. I miss sidewalks and especially properly maintained ones that aren't all cracked up or have trees growing through them AND the street. I guess you could say that Atlanta is not so much country but cheap and lazy when it comes to city services.

And I know a lot of people may not have seen these things if they don't venture from certain areas of the city, most of the time, especially in areas where there are a lot of tourists and such as the city cleans up more in certain parks and in certain areas than others.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 PM

20,977 posts, read 32,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The wildflowers signs are just there and there aren't any wildflowers where the signs are. It would be nice if there actually were flowers. This sign is on the free way where 285 and I20 intersect at MLK in Adamsville, where I used to live. It is ridiculous to put up a sign without the actual flowers. I figure it is just an excuse not to cut the grass in that neighborhood since the grass is taller than me during some parts of the year.

I live in Vine City/English Avenue, but have only been here for a short while. I have lived all over the metro area in the last 12 years from Smyrna and Marietta and Mableton and Riverdale to College Park and in between. I can't believe some of you don't see how horrible the landscaping is in the metro area and that public land really doesn't get taken care of, especially in the city in a lot of neighborhoods. I'll post some pics in your pic thread so you can see. There's also a bunch of trash all over the place in the overgrown areas, and let me repeat, the areas I'm talking about are not from abandoned houses or anything, mostly by the interstates where the city doesn't take care of it's properties.

But thought of another thing that is different and kind of country too. The fact that there aren't a lot of sidewalks here. I miss sidewalks and especially properly maintained ones that aren't all cracked up or have trees growing through them AND the street. I guess you could say that Atlanta is not so much country but cheap and lazy when it comes to city services.

And I know a lot of people may not have seen these things if they don't venture from certain areas of the city, most of the time, especially in areas where there are a lot of tourists and such as the city cleans up more in certain parks and in certain areas than others.
I do have to agree with residinghere on several points. The way that the city ignores the maintenance of right-of-ways and public areas is, and has been for some time, disgraceful. You can argue all night long that the city has limited resources and can only do so much...but this has been going on for some time now and is IMO endemic of a corrupt and dysfunctional city government.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,210,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
LMAO!

"Watch the train export our jobs..."
"At least we're not Detroit!"

Just wow.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,822,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It may be that way in this one particular spot, but there is definitely a GADOT Wildflower Program and there are definitely many signs along Georgia highways where there are wildflowers planted - I've seen several of them in bloom. Wildflower Program

I'm assuming that a freeway intersection is not actually IN a neighborhood...but I understand what you're saying. I would contact the GADOT if it really bothered me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or