U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 PM

79 posts, read 377,672 times

Advertisements

If so, are the builders offering any sort of deals or incentives?

We are seriously considering building a home in the Johns Creek area, and I'm wondering if it's possible to bid lower than the full price. It seems like such a strong buyer's market (for the resale houses), but I've heard from others who are building that they aren't budging on prices.

Thanks!

PhilaGirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 04:34 PM

88 posts, read 467,653 times
It is very much a buyer's market now and I would think you could get quite a deal. Some builders here are funny though, they will sit on their price and not budge. My builder is that way and he'll wait for someone that will pay his price. But I think most are pretty willing to negotiate.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:52 PM

279 posts, read 337,649 times
If building from scratch, i wouldn't do that, the builder will lower the price and reduce the quality of materials or work...i know, i worked for a luxury home builder.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 88,682 times
I agree - you're not likely to get a builder in a subdivision to budge on price. However, when building from scratch, you DO get lower cost in that you are generally 65%-75% of the value of the home in building - you walk away with the builder's equity. I do mortgages for many people who build, and I never see anyone build a home and end up right at market value (or anywhere close!). By contrast, I built my own home in a subdivision, and, although I got a good bit for my money, the builder got all my equity. I had a little, but not nearly as much as I would have had I cut him out of the picture! As a matter of fact, with what I know now, I'd say he made about $130,000 of my home, alone!

If you need any advice offline, let me know. I do know some really good builders with whom you might consider working.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:59 PM

642 posts, read 1,936,940 times
Shari are you familiar with Homelife or Silver Creek communities at all?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM

26 posts, read 169,201 times
I would be less worried about lower prices and more concerned about quality, there are too many builders that are putting out poor quality. Bmw and Mercedes don't negotiate.....The builders with the most give aways, build the lessor quality homes. Be careful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagirl View Post

We are seriously considering building a home in the Johns Creek area, and I'm wondering if it's possible to bid lower than the full price. It seems like such a strong buyer's market (for the resale houses), but I've heard from others who are building that they aren't budging on prices.

Thanks!

PhilaGirl

Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Silver creek

Silver Creek has a better built product than Homelife. They use a number of quality products to build their homes. You have to look behind the walls to see quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Shari are you familiar with Homelife or Silver Creek communities at all?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM

642 posts, read 1,936,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon01 View Post
Silver Creek has a better built product than Homelife. They use a number of quality products to build their homes. You have to look behind the walls to see quality.
Is it more a case of them both being of quality with SilverCreek just being better or is HomeLife of low quality?

And thanks by the way.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Well after studying builders and products, I am concerned about Homelife because they are taking some short cuts. No gutters on the rear of the house, seems small but that is major when u begin to have foundation problems. Also flooring and flooring truss. There are a number of ways to cut cost and give more square footage. Also better business bureau has a lot of complaints on Homelife.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,092 times
Default New Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagirl View Post

Thanks!

PhilaGirl
Be careful and dont buy a new home. I closed on my new home 7/6/07 and less than a month later the builder,Nesbitt Lord lowered the prices of the surrounding homes approx $75,000! That just de valued my home. Better going with an existing home that all work completed and wont be DE valued as mine did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or