U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM

826 posts, read 2,787,345 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the Map. Don't get me wrong, there is more crime here then my previous upper middle class neighborhood in Washington, however I don't feel unsafe. We know all of my neighbors, their cars, when people are coming to visit, and we have an off-duty cop that offers the extra police presence the city cannot provide. As a student , at Howard University, in the late 90's i watched the neighborhood transform. I am see the same characteristics in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM

91 posts, read 306,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
I am really getting sick of this "affordable housing" codeword. Its just covering up what is really happening, which is mixing section 8 with high end developments. And yes, I believe it is an agenda to keep the city majority black, as well as a waste of tax dollars.

The bottom line is Atlanta has too much affordable housing. Thats why there is such a high crime rate, because the city is mostly made up of poor, low-income neighborhoods which naturally breed a lot of crime.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:14 AM

100 posts, read 444,048 times
This article was posted here, but apparently in another thread (unable to find it atm). This is the one I meant to reference in another thread about Gwinnett county turning down the MARTA transit in the 1990s.

Here is the article about the ATL suburbs' population is becoming more ethnically diverse while the population of the City of Atlanta is turning more white.

Governing: Atlanta/July 2008

Quote:
The Atlanta Regional Commission reports that in 2000, the white, non-Hispanic population of the 20-county Atlanta metro region formed 60 percent of the total population; by 2006, that had shrunk to 54 percent, not so much because whites were leaving — although four counties did see absolute declines in white numbers — but because of the arrival in the suburbs of African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Africans and Caribbeans. Of the 10 counties in the nation with the largest declines in white percentage of the population from 2000 to 2006, six are in the suburbs of Atlanta.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 AM

48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Atlanta recently had its last mayoral election. Kasiim Reed won that race against Norwood. From an article I read, race played a factor. Most of the Black population voted for Reed and most of the White population voted for Norwood. The OP mentioned something about the next mayoral race being a bit of a shock. This race didn't shock me. Politics involving race in Atlanta are nothing shocking.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,157,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Atlanta recently had its last mayoral election. Kasiim Reed won that race against Norwood. From an article I read, race played a factor. Most of the Black population voted for Reed and most of the White population voted for Norwood. The OP mentioned something about the next mayoral race being a bit of a shock. This race didn't shock me. Politics involving race in Atlanta are nothing shocking.
Yeah, race played a factor - it always will in some quarters. Racial politics here are mild compared to some other regions of the country. What we need to remember is that roughly 15% of the black vote went to Mary, and roughly 15% of the white vote went to Kasim. The "race card" was never played though, which is a wonderful thing. Sure, there were some "code words" thrown around, but things were very much above board for the most part.

I've lived here long enough (20+ years) to feel that the City HAS changed for the better in many ways, race most definately included.

I can remember past races that were so ugly certain blacks were accused of "trying to pass" by their black opponents. A very ugly and divisive accusation, to say the least. We have come a long way from those days, imo.

This last Mayoral election really made me proud of the City, in several ways.

We also elected our first gay Asian City Councilman - something that is rare anywhere, especially East of the Mississippi.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,617,229 times
Now that Reed has won, I wonder if he will do something to make sure an election like this never happens again. One idea would be the consolidation of Fulton County and Atlanta, obliterating the gains in the white percentage. Another idea would be to keep annexing majority black pockets of South Fulton to keep the whites at bay.

Letting Buckhead de-annex would be too drastic to the city's financials, but I wonder if even this has been considered.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see "the Machine" siting idly by in the Mayor's office while the city's black majority (and Reed's voting bloc) erodes away. This election was a warning for what is to come if no action is taken to reduce the growing politcal clout of the white voting bloc.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:42 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,676,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Now that Reed has won, I wonder if he will do something to make sure an election like this never happens again. One idea would be the consolidation of Fulton County and Atlanta, obliterating the gains in the white percentage. Another idea would be to keep annexing majority black pockets of South Fulton to keep the whites at bay.

Letting Buckhead de-annex would be too drastic to the city's financials, but I wonder if even this has been considered.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see "the Machine" siting idly by in the Mayor's office while the city's black majority (and Reed's voting bloc) erodes away. This election was a warning for what is to come if no action is taken to reduce the growing politcal clout of the white voting bloc.
What do black Atlanta voters want that white Atlanta voters do not?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM

13,596 posts, read 22,044,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

After I read your posts, I definitely realize I'm not that young anymore...

Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM

3,521 posts, read 4,261,380 times
That's a good question. Some folks act as if we black people are from Mars or something!

I like a high quality of life, safe streets, AND a government held accountable by the me the taxpayer just as much as anyone else, be it city, county, state or federal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What do black Atlanta voters want that white Atlanta voters do not?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,617,229 times
Black voters and white voters want the same thing. But it is more complex than that. This election showed that people still vote along racial lines in the city. You cant just ignore the role race played in the voting patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or