U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:34 PM

195 posts, read 379,797 times

Advertisements

Here's what I worry about, at least in the short term.
Remember how Kasim helped Shirley find the police chief of New Orleans? If he stays on that track and chooses a guy from, say, Detroit or St Louis instead of any city with a functional PD, I might consider lodging in Decatur instead of Atlanta during my enrollment at GSU, which should approximately coincide with Kasim's mayoral term...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM

985 posts, read 1,467,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
Here's what I worry about, at least in the short term.
Remember how Kasim helped Shirley find the police chief of New Orleans? If he stays on that track and chooses a guy from, say, Detroit or St Louis instead of any city with a functional PD, I might consider lodging in Decatur instead of Atlanta during my enrollment at GSU, which should approximately coincide with Kasim's mayoral term...
Nope, I don't remember that. I do know he ran her campaign, but I didnt know helped her with staffing. Please enlighten me.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:17 AM

195 posts, read 379,797 times
Basically, he was a member of the search committee, which makes him fairly culpable in my opinion.
SAM PETTWAY: THE MAN WHO BROUGHT RICHARD PENNINGTON TO ATLANTA SPEAKS OUT > SundayPaper.com > The Ramage Report (http://www.atlanta.sundaypaper.com/Blogs/TheRamageReport/tabid/235/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/4721/Default.aspx - broken link) He also directed her two mayoral campaigns.

Here's an article about Pennington that perfectly summarizes my feelings:
Category » Richard Pennington « @ Crime Victims Media Report (http://crimevictimsmediareport.com/?cat=15 - broken link)

Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,263,923 times
So what's your point? This idea has been repeated ad nauseum in countless media, message boards, and social gatherings all over Georgia.

The only thing I take from this is that BOTH white and black folks are still just as unenlightened now as they were 50 years ago, and that people here in the south still tend to elect politicians who appeal to the lowest common denominator a'la reactionary politics.

Question is, what can we Georgians do about it? Where is the collective epiphany? When will the enlightenment begin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Black voters and white voters want the same thing. But it is more complex than that. This election showed that people still vote along racial lines in the city. You cant just ignore the role race played in the voting patterns.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 AM

There's no way that Kasim could have known how Pennington would have turned out. At the time he was hired, Pennington seemed like a good bet. The problem was that Mayor Franklin refused to hold him accountable and decided to retreat into her own little world when the heat was on. Aside from that it is ultimately up to the people of Atlanta to hold them both accountable or at the very least put Franklin on notice via a recall ballot.

Unfortunately though, Southern politics hasn't evolved to such an involved and activist-like level that people would willingly create political action groups to do just that. So meanwhile us Georgians of salient minds and bodies are usually stuck with these meatheads in back-to-back terms or they stupidly make a mistake and the Feds catch them on it.

Go figure, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
Basically, he was a member of the search committee, which makes him fairly culpable in my opinion.
SAM PETTWAY: THE MAN WHO BROUGHT RICHARD PENNINGTON TO ATLANTA SPEAKS OUT > SundayPaper.com > The Ramage Report (http://www.atlanta.sundaypaper.com/Blogs/TheRamageReport/tabid/235/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/4721/Default.aspx - broken link) He also directed her two mayoral campaigns.

Here's an article about Pennington that perfectly summarizes my feelings:
Category » Richard Pennington « @ Crime Victims Media Report (http://crimevictimsmediareport.com/?cat=15 - broken link)

Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,618,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
So what's your point? This idea has been repeated ad nauseum in countless media, message boards, and social gatherings all over Georgia.

The only thing I take from this is that BOTH white and black folks are still just as unenlightened now as they were 50 years ago, and that people here in the south still tend to elect politicians who appeal to the lowest common denominator a'la reactionary politics.

Question is, what can we Georgians do about it? Where is the collective epiphany? When will the enlightenment begin?
My point is that since this election has shown that its clear people are still voting along racial lines, don't you think it would be in Kasim's best interest to minimize/reduce the growing political clout of the white voting bloc by some means, after such a close election?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM

I don't think Kasim is going to have that type of wiggle room to do that sort of thing like the past mayors. The conservative state legislature will nullify whatever minimal rewards he may gain from the sort of zero-sum politics you are talking about.

For the most part I think Reed's going to play ball, because he knows that Atlanta and his reputation will be done for otherwise.

Quote:
My point is that since this election has shown that its clear people are still voting along racial lines, don't you think it would be in Kasim's best interest to minimize/reduce the growing political clout of the white voting bloc by some means, after such a close election?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 AM

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
I don't know much about the politics. I don't live in the city of Atlanta, but in the suburbs. Because I don't live in Atlanta city, I can't vote for the mayoral election. I really don't know what he is going to do.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,048,679 times
It would be in Kasim's best interest to be as colorblind as possible, the racial makeup of atlanta is changing, and it would be smart not to favor one group over the other. Our rep here in midtown is asian, and the fact that he won signals a change. The media played the race card more than anyone ( NY Times, CNN, Wall Street Journal, AJC)

Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 AM

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
It would be in Kasim's best interest to be as colorblind as possible, the racial makeup of atlanta is changing, and it would be smart not to favor one group over the other. Our rep here in midtown is asian, and the fact that he won signals a change. The media played the race card more than anyone ( NY Times, CNN, Wall Street Journal, AJC)
Then it doesn't surprise me that Atlanta is starting to get attention for it. CNN and AJC are local.
It would be in Reed's best interest to be colorblind. It would also be in his best interest to get the murder rate down too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or