Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,046 times

Advertisements

My name is Sarah. I was involved in a hit and run car accident on Saturday July 19th 2008 between the times of 10:30 pm and 12 am. We were driving on 85 south towards the city. We were approaching the city when we see a sea of brake lights. the next thing my husband knew, he was driving, was that a car behind us was barreling towards at massively fast speeds. He rear ended us so hard that he pushed our car for at least 50 yards and my trunk was in my backseat. I am not sure how I am even alive. I am not sure how ANY of us in that car are alive today. I managed to live and come out with 2 fractures in my skull and some major muscle damage in my lower back. We have no clue what happened to the man who hit us. He got away and the police have nothing to go on to find this guy.

Sadly enough, we aren't sure if the person who hit us was in a truck or an SUV but we know it was red, bellowing smoke, and leaking massive amounts of fluids. The entire front end is smashed and we still cant figure out how he got away.

The police are basically saying they cannot help us b/c we have no description of the driver, or the tag # etc. The police also didn't even interview my husband, who was driving, the 2 witnesses at the scene of the accident and they didn't talk to me or the other 2 passengers of the car. I find it hard to believe that a man can hit a car at 85+ MPH and not even hit the brakes once and then GET AWAY WITH IT.
I almost lost my life.....

I am hoping maybe someone saw something. There were hundreds of people on the interstate at that time and I am sure someone had to have seen SOMETHING.... anything.

I am in dire need of help to track this heartless maniac down.
You can contact me at this email address - {moderator cut: Email removed. Please do not post personal email addresses, phone numbers or full names in the forums. If anyone is able to help this person, please send them your info via the direct mail feature on the site using the drop-down menu from their sceen name. Thank you}
thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2008 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Good God, what a story...I too am glad you and your husband are here to tell the story.
What jurisdiction were you in, and what police department are we talking about?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM

this happened in fulton county. it was in the city of atlanta city limits.
I am so glad me and my friends and my husband are alive.
And honestly, this is only half of my story, the other half continues with grady, but thats another thread altogether.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Sorry to hear about that

Contact the people at Georgia Navigator :: Cameras (http://www.georgia-navigator.com/cameras/85 - broken link)

They have cameras on every interstate highway in Atlanta. They should still have the video of you and the other people involved on the tape

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Sorry to hear about that

Contact the people at Georgia Navigator :: Cameras (http://www.georgia-navigator.com/cameras/85 - broken link)

They have cameras on every interstate highway in Atlanta. They should still have the video of you and the other people involved on the tape

Thank you!!! I have contacted the DOT about the cameras up and down 85 but they told me nothing is recorded, that it is all live feeds, but who knows if that is even true or not. I would die to get ahold of a tape of my wreck. I want to see how the hell that maniac got away. I wonder if he hit others in the process. =/

Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorapie View Post
Thank you!!! I have contacted the DOT about the cameras up and down 85 but they told me nothing is recorded, that it is all live feeds, but who knows if that is even true or not.
Well, I certainly don't work for the DOT, but I'd question that. Certainly they must have the ability to tape accident scenes within camera range so authorities can look at the tape later (?). I'm pretty sure I've seen the local news do stories about accidents where they showed "footage" from a DOT cam from earlier in the day. If they can't record it, how did the news get footage from the DOT camera from hours earlier

Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, I certainly don't work for the DOT, but I'd question that. Certainly they must have the ability to tape accident scenes within camera range so authorities can look at the tape later (?). I'm pretty sure I've seen the local news do stories about accidents where they showed "footage" from a DOT cam from earlier in the day. If they can't record it, how did the news get footage from the DOT camera from hours earlier

And you my friend are asking questions that I asked. I just talked to a guy from the DOT and they only record things that they think are going to happen or wrecks that they see. If that makes sense. they dont record everything all day and night, which is dumb as hell to me.
The man i talked with informed me that they took info down about the wreck and it is documented but they footage shows nothing. The car was travelling too fast to be seen i imagine.

I would like to get my hands on my tape to have some one really EXAMINE it. There has got to be SOMETHING..... at least the guy was nice enough to fax me the info on the wreck and all that stuff.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Holy crap, I had the chills reading your story. Thank goodness you are all okay. Keep plugging on to get the information you need. Maybe contact the tv stations to tell your story to get more exposure on catching this idiot.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Wow I am sorry for your physical and mental pain. My wife and I were almost in a similar situation a few months ago on 400 N. We were coming home from Midtown nightlife at Saturday 2 am..my car was having tire issues so we drove in the far right lane the entire way home (my wife doesn't drink so she was driving).

Even though the roads were completely empty, my wife saw a guy going very fast in the far right lane behind us. My wife thought he was going to change lanes but he never did..luckily he swerved right before he hit us. I looked in the side mirror and see a car being flipped up in the air and going into the ditch off 400. Very scary and very close to hitting us. I assume he was either drunk or fell asleep at the wheel.

I do agree with Ready though...contact the local networks and see if they'll put your story on the air.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
Holy crap, I had the chills reading your story. Thank goodness you are all okay. Keep plugging on to get the information you need. Maybe contact the tv stations to tell your story to get more exposure on catching this idiot.
I have contacted fox 5 but they told me they basically won't cover it, nor is anyone really interested in it because no one died.
=/

I tried calling radio stations and other tv networks, but no one seems to be willing to take my story or talk to me about it etc.
I will keep trying though. Persistance is a good thing sometimes.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: