Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,334,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Then refrain from doing so, peasant.
Peasant? I know your history as a poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:12 PM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Boston is not more of a world class city than DC. DC beats Boston in every other world class city ranking without GAWC. DC also beats Boston in many aspects not just "a few."

Education - tie, Boston has better universities but DC has a higher educated populace and trumps even more as a metro area.
Economy - DC, not comparable
Transportation - DC, no question
Food scene - Boston, no question. DC food scene is very pathetic for a world class city
Muesems - DC, this doesn't have to be explained
International and national influence - DC, one of the most powerful cities in the world.
Tourism - DC, no question
Shopping - Boston
Architecture - Boston, although DC has beautiful architecure as well
Cosmopolitan - DC
Historic - Tie
Affluent - DC
Power - DC, no question
Sports - DC, has all four sports but the red socks are still a more historically known team.
International significance - DC, it's the capital
You're arbitrarily breaking up some of these categories so DC will "win," but I'll play along and add some that you omitted.

Education is Boston, hands down; educational attainment--which is a different category--is DC.

As far as being cosmopolitan and especially history goes, that goes to Boston in my view.

I give sports to Boston as well because they have more storied teams. DC teams have nothing on the legacy of the Red Sox and the Celtics.

Diversity would go to Boston.

Urbanity would go to Boston.

Healthcare would go to Boston.

Truth be told, DC should be far and away ahead of cities like Boston, Atlanta, and Philly and should be somewhere around the NYC, LA, and Chicago tier because it's the capital of the nation with the world's largest economy. The fact that those cities can compete with DC in a number of categories says a lot. Even when it comes to a category like tourism, DC wins mainly because of all the museums and such but not many people visit DC to actually experience DC, like they do Boston.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're arbitrarily breaking up some of these categories so DC will "win," but I'll play along and add some that you omitted.

Education is Boston, hands down; educational attainment--which is a different category--is DC.

As far as being cosmopolitan and especially history goes, that goes to Boston in my view.

I give sports to Boston as well because they have more storied teams. DC teams have nothing on the legacy of the Red Sox and the Celtics.

Diversity would go to Boston.

Urbanity would go to Boston.

Healthcare would go to Boston.

Truth be told, DC should be far and away ahead of cities like Boston, Atlanta, and Philly and should be somewhere around the NYC, LA, and Chicago tier because it's the capital of the nation with the world's largest economy. The fact that those cities can compete with DC in a number of categories says a lot.
I only copy and pasted from what I said would be world class aspects in my previous post, didn't do it specfically to have DC come above Boston.

Boston is not more cosmopolitan than DC, that's a joke. You also get more type A personalities in DC.

history? Boston doesn't come out before DC. That's a tie, so it's obvious you're biased.

Diversity, yes Boston wins. DC is merely black and white.

Urbanity goes to DC, not Boston. DC has more modern high rises, buildings, etc. look at city center DC

Healthcare isn't a world class aspect.... Stop adding useless categories. Will we add who has better grocery stores aswell?

Sports, baseball wise yes. Also, Michael Jordan played for the Wizards and the Redskins are the oldest and richest NFL team besides the cowboys? DC wins
Oh yeah DC has a soccer team so techincally all 5 sports

Also those cities barley compete in these categories, Philly and Atlanta really? Atlanta is more of a world class city than philly. You're trying to put down DC yet it's still a alpha world class city. Your post say a lot about you not the facts.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM

You do realize the muesems are very well apart of DC? Right? That's still DC.... So it is experiencing DC. A tourist doesn't have to go to a GoGo party where a lot of crime happens or go to Barry Farms to experience DC. That's like saying, do people go to Chicago to experience south side Chicago? No.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
My friend, DC is the world class city.
It sure is. It is instantly recognizable all over the world as the capital of the United States.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Peasant? I know your history as a poster
Do you? Then call it out instead of hiding behind some new phony forum name.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Do you? Then call it out instead of hiding behind some new phony forum name.
Wait what lmfao who do you think I am? bahahaha new phony forum name? You're one confused individual

Old 11-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Wait what lmfao who do you think I am? bahahaha new phony forum name? You're one confused individual
Am I? I'm known to have a good sense of smell. And your new name is rather stupid, BTW.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Am I? I'm known to have a good sense of smell. And your new name is rather stupid, BTW.
I started using CD in August, I used to read city data but never made an account. Finally decided to make an account in August. I'm a DC native, female, 26 and Jewish. I don't know who you think I am but you look pretty stupid. Please enlighten me as to who do you think I am?

Old 11-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I started using CD in August, I used to read city data but never made an account. Finally decided to make an account in August. I'm a DC native, female, 26 and Jewish. I don't know who you think I am but you look pretty stupid. Please enlighten me as to who do you think I am?
I'll refrain from an opinion. Wouldn't want to spoil a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta