Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 PM

560 posts, read 662,805 times

Advertisements

What makes Atlanta Unique?

We have the most contentious city-data threads. Bar none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,336,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'll refrain from an opinion. Wouldn't want to spoil a weekend.
Or maybe because you look like a total creep? And realized you looked ignorant and foolish. You accused me of being a previous poster who got a new account? Also that my name is stupid as well. The assumption you made was very stupid and you just look like an idiot at the end of the day if you look at my post you can see me posting about Chanel and Louis Vuitton. Unless the poster you are talking about that you claim I am is a 26 year old jewish girl then I'm sorry? I don't know, maybe the only thing you were smelling is my bomb perfume? Hah spoil who's weekend?

Old 11-15-2014, 02:18 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I only copy and pasted from what I said would be world class aspects in my previous post, didn't do it specfically to have DC come above Boston.

Boston is not more cosmopolitan than DC, that's a joke. You also get more type A personalities in DC.
The abundance of Type A personalities without others to balance it out just means more people move to the city for career purposes and not really for the city itself, and this is why DC has become rather whitebread and stale in some respects. In DC, a lot of people see social interactions as little more than a means to network and get ahead, while in Boston it's more about a genuine exchange of ideas and intellectual discourse for its own sake.

Quote:
history? Boston doesn't come out before DC. That's a tie, so it's obvious you're biased.
It's clear you don't have the best grasp on history. Boston was playing a major role in the war for America's independence while DC was still a virtual backwater. Come on dude, really?

Quote:
Urbanity goes to DC, not Boston. DC has more modern high rises, buildings, etc. look at city center DC
Boston is much more of a classically urban city than DC without question, and a big reason for that is because it has a much more historic urban fabric. City center DC is largely architecturally repetitive and closes down at night. Those newer buildings, while nice, don't have nearly as much character as Boston's historic buildings. Boston is just more organically urban.

Quote:
Healthcare isn't a world class aspect.... Stop adding useless categories. Will we add who has better grocery stores aswell?
Who says it isn't? Even so, you can look at this more broadly in terms of research and innovation and Boston still comes out ahead.

Quote:
Sports, baseball wise yes. Also, Michael Jordan played for the Wizards and the Redskins are the oldest and richest NFL team besides the cowboys? DC wins
Oh yeah DC has a soccer team so techincally all 5 sports
Dude, are you seriously trying to put the Wizards up against the Celtics just because Jordan played with them briefly at the end of his career? How many championships have the Wizards won compared to the Celtics? And I'm guessing you don't know that Boston has all five major league sports teams too? Do you also want to compare the Boston Bruins with 6 Stanley Cups to the Washington Capitols, founded a half century later with 0 Stanley Cups? DC's MLS team has won more titles than Boston's so it wins there. So it's Boston 3 (Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins), DC 2 (Redskins, United). Boston wins.

Quote:
Also those cities barley compete in these categories, Philly and Atlanta really? Atlanta is more of a world class city than philly. You're trying to put down DC yet it's still a alpha world class city. Your post say a lot about you not the facts.
In a couple of categories those cities definitely compete with DC, along with Houston, Dallas, and Miami. I know your pride won't let you admit it, but it's the truth.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 11-15-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The abundance of Type A personalities without others to balance it out just means more people move to the city for career purposes and not really for the city itself, and this is why DC has become rather whitebread and stale in some respects. In DC, a lot of people see social interactions as little more than a means to network and get ahead, while in Boston it's more about a genuine exchange of ideas and intellectual discourse for its own sake.
This is merely an opinion and unless you have something to prove it..... Then I'm all for it. Boston is cosmopolitan no doubt, but DC is more cosmopolitan for the reasons you stated and more.

[/quote]It's clear you don't have the best grasp on history. Boston was playing a major role in the war for America's independence while DC was still a virtual backwater. Come on dude, really?[/quote]

There's no need to insult me and say I don't have a grasp of history. Grow up..... I simply said Boston and DC were tied. Did nothing significant happen in DC historically?

[/quote]Boston is much more of a classically urban city than DC without question, and a big reason for that is because it has a much more historic urban fabric. City center DC is largely architecturally repetitive and closes down at night. Those newer buildings, while nice, don't have nearly as much character as Boston's historic buildings. Boston is just more organically urban.[/quote]

Whatever you say. Although your comment about city center is ignorant because it's still under construction. So I don't understand your "closes down at night comment" ? Although what about the DC rowhomes, georgetown, Adams Morgan, DuPont circle, embassy row?

[/quote]Who says it isn't? Even so, you can look at this more broadly in terms of research and innovation and Boston still comes out ahead. [/quote]

Health care is not a world class city aspect, health care does not make a city world class or non world class. So why are we even talking about this? Like I said useless

[/quote]Dude, are you seriously trying to put the Wizards up against the Celtics just because Jordan played with them briefly at the end of his career? How many championships have the Wizards won compared to the Celtics? And I'm guessing you don't know that Boston has all five major league sports teams too? Do you also want to compare the Boston Bruins with 6 Stanley Cups to the Washington Capitols, founded a half century later with 0 Stanley Cups? DC's MLS team has won more titles than Boston's so it wins there. So it's Boston 3 (Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins), DC 2 (Redskins, United). Boston wins.[/quote]

I admit you're right, I made my basis off which city has all sports not historically known or the importance of the teams. So yes Boston wins

[/quote]In a couple of categories those cities definitely compete with DC, along with Houston, Dallas, and Miami. I know your pride won't let you admit it, but it's the truth.[/quote]

You just said it yourself in the first sentence. IN A COUPLE OF CATEGROIES. 2-3 categories do not mean these cities are holding their own against DC. DC beats SF in multiple aspects/categories but does that mean DC is more of a world class city than San Francisco? No. This is obviously you and your pride. You're the one who has said biased opinions even admitting it yourself say "in my view". I've lived in both Boston and DC and attended Boston College. Boston is my favorite city behind NYC I've seen your previous post about DC so let's not talk about pride I know your pride won't let you admit it, but it's the truth.

Last edited by Deluusions; 11-15-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 04:56 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,866,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post

Also those cities barley compete in these categories, Philly and Atlanta really? Atlanta is more of a world class city than philly. You're trying to put down DC yet it's still a alpha world class city. Your post say a lot about you not the facts.
I would dispute that. Atlanta, like Boston, shines especially bright because it is an unofficial capitol of an entire region of the US ... but unfortunately with all it's history, economic power, cultural excellence and significance in popular culture - Philly still sits in the shadow of NYC ... just 90 miles away.

Atlanta is a world class city in my view. An important regional hub and a center of business, conventions, transportation, etc. From an architectural point of view Atlanta (John Portman!) and Miami (Archectonica!) far outshine any other city in the entire South ... including banal Houston.

But hear me out: Atlanta, like Boston, Philly, Miami, Seattle, etc. are second tier World Class cities. Only NYC, Chicago, DC, and LA, in my view are first tier.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I would dispute that. Atlanta, like Boston, shines especially bright because it is an unofficial capitol of an entire region of the US ... but unfortunately with all it's history, economic power, cultural excellence and significance in popular culture - Philly still sits in the shadow of NYC ... just 90 miles away.

Atlanta is a world class city in my view. An important regional hub and a center of business, conventions, transportation, etc. From an architectural point of view Atlanta (John Portman!) and Miami (Archectonica!) far outshine any other city in the entire South ... including banal Houston.

But hear me out: Atlanta, like Boston, Philly, Miami, Seattle, etc. are second tier World Class cities. Only NYC, Chicago, DC, and LA, in my view are first tier.
Good point good point *bows down*

Although you forgot San Francisco

Old 11-15-2014, 05:23 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,141,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The women in Atlanta are more more sexy than Seattle I will give you that. Nothing beats a Southern Belle, go to any SEC school and you will see hot women in droves its amazing. Beats any midwestern or northeastern college, only California colleges can compete with women from SEC schools on looks.
Yup, my eyes burn, and its hard to make choices .

Old 11-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
It's clear you don't have the best grasp on history. Boston was playing a major role in the war for America's independence while DC was still a virtual backwater. Come on dude, really?
There's no need to insult me and say I don't have a grasp of history. Grow up..... I simply said Boston and DC were tied. Did nothing significant happen in DC historically?

[/quote]Boston is much more of a classically urban city than DC without question, and a big reason for that is because it has a much more historic urban fabric. City center DC is largely architecturally repetitive and closes down at night. Those newer buildings, while nice, don't have nearly as much character as Boston's historic buildings. Boston is just more organically urban.[/quote]

Whatever you say. Although your comment about city center is ignorant because it's still under construction. So I don't understand your "closes down at night comment" ? Although what about the DC rowhomes, georgetown, Adams Morgan, DuPont circle, embassy row?

[/quote]Who says it isn't? Even so, you can look at this more broadly in terms of research and innovation and Boston still comes out ahead. [/quote]

Health care is not a world class city aspect, health care does not make a city world class or non world class. So why are we even talking about this? Like I said useless

[/quote]Dude, are you seriously trying to put the Wizards up against the Celtics just because Jordan played with them briefly at the end of his career? How many championships have the Wizards won compared to the Celtics? And I'm guessing you don't know that Boston has all five major league sports teams too? Do you also want to compare the Boston Bruins with 6 Stanley Cups to the Washington Capitols, founded a half century later with 0 Stanley Cups? DC's MLS team has won more titles than Boston's so it wins there. So it's Boston 3 (Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins), DC 2 (Redskins, United). Boston wins.[/quote]

I admit you're right, I made my basis off which city has all sports not historically known or the importance of the teams. So yes Boston wins

[/quote]In a couple of categories those cities definitely compete with DC, along with Houston, Dallas, and Miami. I know your pride won't let you admit it, but it's the truth.[/quote]

You just said it yourself in the first sentence. IN A COUPLE OF CATEGROIES. 2-3 categories do not mean these cities are holding their own against DC. DC beats SF in multiple aspects/categories but does that mean DC is more of a world class city than San Francisco? No. This is obviously you and your pride. You're the one who has said biased opinions even admitting it yourself say "in my view". I've lived in both Boston and DC and attended Boston College. Boston is my favorite city behind NYC I've seen your previous post about DC so let's not talk about pride I know your pride won't let you admit it, but it's the truth.[/quote]

Wow, how about we learn how to appropriately wrap quote tags?

"In my view" indicates subjectivity, not bias. The majority of this exchange is based on subjective elements of "world class"-ness, and I have no bias because I have no ties to either city besides some friends who live in both. I'd actually rather live in DC over Boston and always enjoy my visits there.

But now that I know your age, I better understand your perspective. Once you get some more exposure and experience under your belt, then we can talk. [/quote]

My age has nothing to do with anything. Yet again another ignorant comment from you, as a kid growing up I was blessed with parents who had the income to travel extensively. I've been to London, Dubai, Qatar, NYC, Atlanta (but that was for a wedding), Frankfurt, Amsterdam, LA, San Diego, Istanbul, Israel, Montreal, Accra, Johannesburg, Paris and the list goes on. I studied abroad in high school my senior year in London aswell, which was my second time going. I think I may have more exposure than you..... Your age comment shows your lack of maturity and wisdom. A 40 year old can be less mature and have less exposure than a 26 year old. Age is just a number, it truly depends on the person themselves. Like I said before grow up, sorry I only started using CD in the end of August. I'm also replying to you on an iPhone, I'm still learning about this website everyday. Yet another ignorant comment from you.... Thanks for proving my point

Old 11-15-2014, 06:36 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
It's great that you've been to a lot of places, but that's still no substitute for life experiences, nor does it mean you totally understand everything that constitutes urbanity, especially since you visited many of those cities as a kid. The fact that you didn't understand where I was coming from with respect to cosmopolitan elements in a city and the elements of urbanism with respect to both cities demonstrates that. Mentioning a master-planned mega development in an effort to prove that DC is more urban than Boston pretty much said it all.

You're just biased and that's fine; we all have our biases. I have none in this matchup becuse I have no ties to either city besides some friends who live in both cities. And I'd actually rather live in DC than Boston; it just so happens that I think that Boston is more of a world-class city.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
It's great that you've been to a lot of places, but that's still no substitute for life experiences, nor does it mean you totally understand everything that constitutes urbanity, especially since you visited many of those cities as a kid. The fact that you didn't understand where I was coming from with respect to cosmopolitan elements in a city and the elements of urbanism with respect to both cities demonstrates that. Mentioning a master-planned mega development in an effort to prove that DC is more urban than Boston pretty much said it all.

You're just biased and that's fine; we all have our biases. I have none in this matchup becuse I have no ties to either city besides some friends who live in both cities. And I'd actually rather live in DC than Boston; it just so happens that I think that Boston is more of a world-class city.

I've traveled to these places as a teenager aswell and in my very early twenties. I brought that up because you said I lack exposure because of my age. Yet age has nothing to do with it. I perfectly understood what you meant just because I disagreed with you does not mean I'm ignorant to the fact of what cosmopolitan is or what urbanity is. The fact that I mentioned CityCenter DC and you replied with that it closes as night while its under construction shows you lack any true knowledge of DC. Yes it closes at night because that's when the construction workers go home.... I'm not biased at all, like you said subjective right? I lived and attended college in Boston and grew up in DC, so this is not coming from I like DC more than Boston view or I like Boston more than DC view. Yes, you've said you would want to live in DC more than Boston. Still doesn't prove anything and I frankly do not care. But key word "I THINK" Boston is more of a world class city, so I'll just leave it at that.

Btw for future debates or arguments. Refrain from judging someone by there age. At the end you look immature and ignorant. Like I said lack of wisdom, people won't take you seriously.

Last edited by Deluusions; 11-15-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta