Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Slight correction to your very eloquent and well-written post, runningncircles1 - This was NEVER one of the largest slave-owning cities.

This area did not have plantations - it was industry, commerce and transportation that built Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Slight correction to your very eloquent and well-written post, runningncircles1 - This was NEVER one of the largest slave-owning cities.

This area did not have plantations - it was industry, commerce and transportation that built Atlanta.
Right...however, prior to the Civil Woah, Atlanta did become somewhat of an important inland slave-trading center.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:18 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Very true...New Orleans and Charleston would fit that category better.

I think this a fascinating thread and question. I remember the Atlanta of my parents' (and grandparents') day; a lovelier city you would never find in the south, especially in the Springtime (one of Atlanta's signature trees, the Dogwood, has been severely diminished over the years due to drought and disease...has anyone else noticed this?). The city was so clean and beautiful, even downtown. People took pride in living here, and loved to show it off to visitors. When I was in college in the 70's (a small school in FL), I would bring home friends that had never been to Atlanta...a surprising number of them ended up settling here.
Underground Atlanta at that time was one of the things that made the city unique...imagine, the original town buried beneath viaducts! It was a huge destination, and even Europeans that would ask where I was from would reply, "Ah...Underground!" Boy, have we squandered that treasure. Many of the other landmark buildings were carelessly swept away in the name of progress...the two train stations, hotels such as the Kimball House, Dinkler Plaza and my favorite, the Frances, and the incredibly beautiful Atlanta Athletic Club (the dining room was breathtaking). Many of the things that made Atlanta unique are now just memories to some of us...to others, they are simply forgotten.
One thing that Atlanta could use is a defining monument (sorry, the Millenium Arch ain't gonna cut it).
NYC has the Empire State Building
St Louis, the Gateway Arch
Seattle, the Space Needle
San Francisco, the Transamerica Building
London, Big Ben
Paris, the Tour d'Eiffel and too many others to name.
I think its' a shame that Atlanta wasn't founded about 15 miles closer to Stone Mountain; how dramatic would that be, the gleaming towers of the city abutting that granite monolith?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
You want "Southern Feel"
Go down to Ponce De Leon and stop by Mary Mac's Tea Room for dinner.
Southern Food, with a shoulder rub from the waitress.
Your "Southern Feel"

Unique: Underground. Hold on to your wallet and leave by sundown, not the best anymore which is a shame, because it is unique.

Go to Buckhead and see the statues of People with Buck Deer Heads, that's unique.
High Museum is Unique.
Five Points is Unique
Stone Mountain is Unique

Back to Food - Collard Green Cafe, Southern Soul Food Feel.

Anything else folks

Old 11-22-2008, 01:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Where is this Collard Green Cafe you speak of, Georgia?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:05 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Charlotte has an urban forest

Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post

The whole Southern Piedmont (the cities) is an urban forest.

The distinct thing is that Charlotte is not a major international world city with an urban forest. Atlanta is.

Winston-Salem, Greenville, etc...also have urban forests.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 PM

293 posts, read 901,391 times
I don't know atlanta more than you neither, but I find this Forum very friendly. It seems to me that people from all walks of life do participate in this Forum kind of demonstrating the diversity of this city. I have the impression that there is a desire in Atlanta to be informed and "to know" but also "help" other people to find their way around. I have 4 people in Atlanta with who I was in constant contact; they all had a different background, some being transplants, and some who were born there and never left or tried to find elsewhere to live. I understand it is because of this nature they are close to, the trees that really makes a difference.

I also love the buzz in NYC but I would not live there. When I am in St. Louis MO, I am wondering if I am in the USA. When I went to Miamy, I thought I was in outside the USA on a Spanish island. When I went to Florida (Orlando, Tampa, Ft lauderdale...) I loved the weather, the houses all the same with their similar swimming pools, the marshes, and the entertainment.

But I have never seen as pretty for the moment as georgia with its high and colourful trees (perhaps Rochester once in Autumn... but there were not as many trees at all).

I agree with some previous posts that Atlanta should get a symbol put up somewhere. I see it as a city with 3 divisions and I think it needs a connection that would provide the feel of Atlanta as an Entity. Something is definitely missing, but so far, to me, it is not as important as the spirit of the people of Atlanta I am enjoying and the city built among the trees.

I think it is a wonderful and beautiful city that is offering the choice between some kind of city life and also some countryside life. We have the choice and even have both.

I also like the idea that it is really going to take me time to know this city, but I like the idea of it; I don't feel put under pressure.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post

This thread isnt about Charlotte. Keep it moving

Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Default What makes Atlanta unique?

Lots of things make Atlanta unique.

Certainly Southern Baptist Conventioneers hitting every strip bar in town makes Atlanta unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta