U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,551 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Atl. this summer. We are looking at Acworth. Could someone tell me all about this area - good & bad please. No kids so schools are not an issue. My husband will be working downtown but leaves around 5:30 am - hoping traffic won't be too bad. Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 AM

673 posts, read 993,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisborn View Post
We'll be moving to Atl. this summer. We are looking at Acworth. Could someone tell me all about this area - good & bad please. No kids so schools are not an issue. My husband will be working downtown but leaves around 5:30 am - hoping traffic won't be too bad. Thanks for any help.
We lived in Acworth for 10 years and loved it. Great historic downtown, excellent restaurants, public golf course, lakes near by,etc.

When I commuted from Acworth to 41/285, I did it in 35 minutes when I left at 5:45 so I'd guess his average commute would be around 45-50 minutes.

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 01-23-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 AM

642 posts, read 1,936,129 times
Wow, that is a serious commute time for so early. 45-50 minutes at that time of morning?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 AM

304 posts, read 1,280,068 times
I think PowderSpringsDad's estimate of commuting time is pretty accurate, as long as you stay in the part of Acworth that is close to the interstate. We live on the fringes of Acworth/Kennesaw area ourselves and are about 25 minutes from the freeway. My mother-in-law & sister-in-law both live in parts of Acworth that are near the interstate so it's a breeze for either of them to access it.

There's a lot of new stuff popping up in Acworth; they are putting in some new retail development at exit #277 along I-75. There is also a lot of stuff going in along Cobb Parkway.

Prices for homes in Acworth are pretty good.

The historic part of downtown Acworth is pretty cool.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Wow, that is a serious commute time for so early. 45-50 minutes at that time of morning?
I think it's a good estimate, yes....to go to downtown Atlanta; I assumed that is where he will work.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:18 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,714,632 times
Quote:
That might even be a fairly conservative estimate.

It all depends upon where in Acworth you start and where the job actually is in Atlanta -- Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown or beyond. The red route below is from Acworth to our downtown/capitol area.

http://figs.homestead.com/map2downtownATL.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by Figment 07; 01-23-2007 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,714,632 times
See, most non-residents will see a nice wide highway drive of about 34 miles. Right. But Georgians visualize (and have experienced) the jams approaching Kennesaw, Marietta, the top end Perimeter (285), and into Buckhead... and so on.

This is why our estimates of commute times are often far greater than what you'd guess by looking at a map alone.

We know what is typical on those roads and we know how tedious and wearing a long commute can be after the honeymoon with the new suburban house and big yard wears off. No one here is trying to scare you or mislead you. I want happy neighbors who understand what they are getting into and find it acceptable.

That's why you're here, though, right?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
A lot of people also seem to underestimate how far apart things are. If you look at a map, Acworth doesn't look like it is that far outside the city but really its a 30 minute drive just to the city limits with no traffic. Things here are very spread out. A lot of those exits are 3 or 4 miles apart.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:17 PM

465 posts, read 2,210,503 times
I live in Vinings and commute to Acworth everyday. It takes me a solid thirty minutes. I live 10 minutes from Downtown Atlanta, so that's about a 40 minute drive in good traffic from Acworth to Downtown total. If your husband is leaving that early in the morning, traffic should not be an issue. Acworth for living? Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion; not my cup of tea. The only good thing is that it's next door to Kennesaw.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I live in Vinings and commute to Acworth everyday. It takes me a solid thirty minutes. I live 10 minutes from Downtown Atlanta, so that's about a 40 minute drive in good traffic from Acworth to Downtown total. If your husband is leaving that early in the morning, traffic should not be an issue. Acworth for living? Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion; not my cup of tea. The only good thing is that it's next door to Kennesaw.
Thanks for confirming my commute estimate. As I said, we lived there and loved it; it has a nice small town feel. I never considered Kennesaw to be any better than Acworth. It was nearby town with some amenities we enjoyed. We also enjoy Marietta. We rarely go to downtown to Atlanta. All the things we like to do can be found in the NW set of towns.

My wife's and my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or