U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 40,457 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I would really appreciate some candid advice. I am from the suburbs of Connecticut and will be relocating to Atlanta. I am going to be working in East Point and going to school in Morrow. These are both on the Southside of town. Atlanta traffic is notoriously horrific and I don't want to spend the little free time that I have stuck in it. Where would you recommend that I live?

From what I've briefly seen of Atlanta, it doesn't necessarily seem like the safest place for me to go jogging and walk my small dog. I have to take things like this into consideration being that I'm a single 24 y/o female.

Is there a safe neighborhood in the vecinity of East Point and Morrow? I don't want to live in a rural area and I'd like to be conveniently located to the highways. But, I don't want to live in an unsafe neighborhood.

Suggestions please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 AM

1,089 posts, read 4,513,064 times
There are some pockets in East Point and Morrow where you will be okay. Western parts of East Point can be pretty nice and the downtown is decent. Traffic on the southside isn't as bad as it is on the northside but it's still there and there are spots which are really bad. A reverse commute out that way wouldn't be bad. Personally I think you would be happier in Midtown as that is where all the action for young people is but if you really are opposed to it I would look farther south in places like Stockbridge or McDonough. Lots of young people are out jogging, walking their dogs or walking to shops and restaurants in Midtown.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:04 PM

699 posts, read 1,787,340 times
If you're going to be working in East Point, you would want to avoid the commute to work from anywhere south of E.P. (like Morrow). Living within the perimeter (285) and commuting outside the perimeter is usually fine. I live in E.P., and there are 2 great historic district neighborhoods that I'm aware of here. I live in Conley Hills, and most streets in my area have been fully restored and are very nice. I've been here since '94 and my house has quadrupled in value. Jefferson Park is another historic district with beautiful restored homes and quiet streets. There are other areas but I'm not all that familiar with them. College Park (next to E.P.) is also very nice, especially in the area around Woodward Academy.
Usually a question about these areas will get replies including the words "ghetto" "blight" "dangerous" "crime" etc...you get the picture. I'd say that living somewhere for 13 years without being the victim of any crime makes it a pretty safe place. Crime stats for E.P. are lower than College Park and as low as many northern burbs. Southside simply has a bad reputation that is mostly unfounded, so don't be scared off by negative comments about the area. It was decimated by "white flight" in the 60's and 70's, but has been on an upswing for several years now.
Morrow is about 15-20 minutes away and against rush hour traffic. Downtown Atlanta is 5-10 minutes away and an easy drive, either on 75-85 or on surface streets. I can share more info with you if you're interested.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Default more info please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
If you're going to be working in East Point, you would want to avoid the commute to work from anywhere south of E.P. (like Morrow). Living within the perimeter (285) and commuting outside the perimeter is usually fine. I live in E.P., and there are 2 great historic district neighborhoods that I'm aware of here. I live in Conley Hills, and most streets in my area have been fully restored and are very nice. I've been here since '94 and my house has quadrupled in value. Jefferson Park is another historic district with beautiful restored homes and quiet streets. There are other areas but I'm not all that familiar with them. College Park (next to E.P.) is also very nice, especially in the area around Woodward Academy.
Usually a question about these areas will get replies including the words "ghetto" "blight" "dangerous" "crime" etc...you get the picture. I'd say that living somewhere for 13 years without being the victim of any crime makes it a pretty safe place. Crime stats for E.P. are lower than College Park and as low as many northern burbs. Southside simply has a bad reputation that is mostly unfounded, so don't be scared off by negative comments about the area. It was decimated by "white flight" in the 60's and 70's, but has been on an upswing for several years now.
Morrow is about 15-20 minutes away and against rush hour traffic. Downtown Atlanta is 5-10 minutes away and an easy drive, either on 75-85 or on surface streets. I can share more info with you if you're interested.
I looked into the crime statistics of Atlanta and the surrounding areas and it does appear as if East Point, College Park, Jonesboro, Riverdale, Morrow, etc. are rather dangerous. College Park actually had the worst statistics from what I read. Keep in mind that I also have to take other factors into consideration that many men might not being that I am a single young female. I want to live in a place that I'm not afraid to take a walk after dark.

Thank you for the traffic advice. I will try to search further North now. I still don't understand all of this "perimeter" talk. But, i got the gist that the commute is easier going from the north to the south as opposed to the reversse.

Where are the nice places in East Point? What is your definition of nice?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 12,728 times
Smile College Park is a great place to live!

I moved here more than 10 years ago from Kentucky. I previously lived in a town where you could leave your keys in your car in case a neighbor needed to use it and it would be returned with a full gas tank and cleaner than when it was borrowed.

My husband took a job in the City of College Park and we had to move there. We had heard all the horror stories and were concerned as we had 2 small children.

My husband changed jobs several years ago and we no longer have to live within the city limits of College Park, but we love it! It has a great neighborhood association and everyone gets along.

College Park has one of the largest historic districts in the state of Georgia. It is just inside the perimeter and we can get downtown in 15-20 minutes or far enough from the city to feel like the country in the same amount of time.

Again, this is the CITY of COLLEGE PARK, mostly within the city limits. The bad rap college park has comes from the crimes statistics which include unincorporated College Park, areas I have never been in, which are not close to me and have no effect on my quality of life. My children played on the street where we live when they were little and still walk, jog, and visit friends without fear.

I hope to have you as a neighbor soon.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,739,426 times
My advice: the statistics are only one indication. Come down and see for yourself how the area is laid out; the housing and traffic patterns; the neighborhoods; the schools (even though you don't have kids, it matters); and whether or not you actually feel comfortable.

As sprtsluvr8 suggests, there are some seriously differing opinions on East Point and College Park. You'll have to see for yourself.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM

421 posts, read 1,677,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitApplebum View Post
I looked into the crime statistics of Atlanta and the surrounding areas and it does appear as if East Point, College Park, Jonesboro, Riverdale, Morrow, etc. are rather dangerous. College Park actually had the worst statistics from what I read. Keep in mind that I also have to take other factors into consideration that many men might not being that I am a single young female. I want to live in a place that I'm not afraid to take a walk after dark.

Thank you for the traffic advice. I will try to search further North now. I still don't understand all of this "perimeter" talk. But, i got the gist that the commute is easier going from the north to the south as opposed to the reversse.

Where are the nice places in East Point? What is your definition of nice?
The perimeter is I-285. It is a highway that encircles Atlanta. All of Atlanta city limits lie within the cirle along with some other cities like Decatur, part of Sandy Springs, the Emory/Northlake area, College Park, East Point, and Hapeville. Anything inside the perimiter is considered to be intown and as a result many places can be quite pricey, as people are paying moe for convience. College Park, Hapeville, and East Point as not as expensive as they could be, given their close distance away from Downtown Atlanta, but are on the 'come-up, though they are not there yet.

I would consider looking at homes in Riverdale. The neighborhoods stretching off the downtown area are quite nice with large yards, low crime, and a REAL 'neighborhood' feel. Bethesda Road is the main road that runs through the community. Riverdale is about 10-15 minutes from both East Point and Morrow too.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 PM

699 posts, read 1,787,340 times
Thank you for the backup backfist...we agree on "seeing for yourself". She would feel safe walking/running in my neighborhood, but looking at the crime statistics for the entire city of East Point is a little short sighted. E.P. is a city of 40,000 people, so obviously some parts are slums and some aren't. I'm not losing any sleep over it though...it some people want to spend more and get less and sit in traffic etc...then so be it.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Default southside

Thanks for the advice.. I'll look into more places on the Southside. I looked briefly a couple of months ago and was a rather shocked by the segregation and great disparities between the north and the south. But, I'll try to find a non-dilapidated section of the southside. I think the problem is that renting on the southside is problematic. Do you know of any decent rental properties? I don't mind renting a townhouse either. But, I just want to live in a clean and safe neighborhood. I don't want to spend the little bit of free time I have stuck in traffic during the commute.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM

2,133 posts, read 4,054,891 times
The Villages of East Point is a huge new residential community with a number of apartments.

Also, since you will work in East Point and work in Morrow, you can still live a little further north and not sit in traffic since you will have a reverse commute. The reason that I suggest this is because at 24 yrs old, you should live closer to vibrant activity centers such as Little 5 Points and Midtown. Also, these communities are a little more walkable. However, as others have noted, downtown College Park is experiencing a resurgence with a lot of new restaurants, bars, and businesses opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta