U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 8,610 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an excellent academic private school. The only problem is that I live in Roswell and most of the private schools are down in Buckhead (Pace, AIS, Westminster). Since I work north of Roswell, getting to Buckhead would be tough. I have considered Woodward, but from 6th grade on she will have to make a long trip to College Park. Is Woodward considering a secondary school in Roswell / Alpharetta? Where do most of the kids from Woodward North end up going when they finish 5th grade? Are there other schools that are challeging acedemically and have good SAT averages in Roswell / Alpharetta?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 AM

985 posts, read 5,219,177 times
There is a christian school called Wesleyan School near west Norcross. Not sure how good is the school, but the campus looks pretty impressive from looking from outside.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,800,877 times
Many, many Woodward kids continue on to the main campus after 6th. Many also attend their local public schools as distance is a concern. (Woodward North actually goes through 6th grade.) There are busses to take the kids and bring them home, but the headmaster there is a big advocate of MARTA -- I have actually ridden the train to the airport with kids headed to Woodward.

Holy Innocents is ok -- certainly not the reputation of Westminster, etc. The Walker School in Cobb County has a good reputation and I hear great things about it. Is that far from you?

I don't know how old your child is -- or where you are in the process, but Atlanta's best private schools are very competitive. Admission is not easy -- though Woodward is very large, so easier than most.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM

79 posts, read 377,564 times
Default Roswell Private School

Have you checked out High Meadows in Roswell? It's supposedly a superb private school that goes from age 3 through 8th grade. According to their Admissions office, their students get accepted to the best private schools in Atlanta for high school.

My husband and I are moving to the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area, and are also a bit frustrated by the lack of private schools in the area. We are looking at Woodward North, but will likely stick with public school since we've heard so many good things about many of them.

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM

426 posts, read 2,110,224 times
Even though Wesleyan is close to Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Roswell, I personally do not ike the school. My biggest problem with the school is that they limit the amount of AP tests a student can take. The last time I checked that number was set at 2! AP credits can help kids get ahead in college and it also teaches high schoolers how to better manage their time. For a PRIVATE school, it was very dissappointing to hear such a policy that limited the students there.

Woodward is an amazing school. I would say it is on par with the Buckhead private schools even though it is in College Park and many Buckhead parents send their kids down there. Wooward is the largest private school in the country and draws in students from all of the Metro's 13 counties. The percentage of students who take AP tests there is extreemly high and the percentage who pass with a 3 or better is high as well. The SAT score is higher than ALL the public high schools in the metro and you will be impressed by the schools the students get into once they graduate also. Woodward reports that 100% of the students get into four year schools by the way. For someone living in the northern burbs seeking out private schools, I think Woodward is your nest bet. As someone mentioned before, busses go into all parts of the metro area from Woodward so one is bound to stop in a shopping center near your home. The location wil get to you though when you want to visit the school for plays, concerts, sporting events, etc. to support your children's interests. But on the WA website, they say that 70% of the students come from north of I-20 so many parents obviously think the school is worth the commute. Check out their webiste of you have not already: www.woodward.edu

Last edited by stvincent; 01-23-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Be weary of SAT scores reported by private schools -- they often include only the middle 50 percent or the top 70 percent or only those college bound students -- luxuries the public schools don't have.

I have heard that complaint about Wesleyan before related to the AP test/classes -- as well as AP related limitations at Greater Atlanta Christian.

As to Woodward comparing to the Buckhead schools -- facilties wise yes, academics perhaps -- Woodward, because it is so large, perhaps the largest private school in the Southeast --has much more academic and intellectual diversity than say Pace. But I don't think that is such a bad thing, myself.

High Meadows is a really neat school for outside of the box kids and their families. Anyone looking at Westminster, would probably not be a good fit for High Meadow. They have blended grade classrooms, student led progress, and limited standardized testing (a good thing again in my opinion.) My gut tells me that the original poster was not looking for a High Meadows (or Galloway or Paideia) type of school.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,541 times
Which school is better, Woodward or Greater Atlanta Christian?

Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 PM

154 posts, read 544,080 times
Woodward over GAC. Then again, I'm biased. Pretty much all my cousins have gone or go to Woodward but they all live in the area so that's a definite advantage.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 AM

One major consideration is that after 6th grade, if a family wants their child to continue to to to Woodward, they have to go to College Park. GAC has their whole campus in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or