U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 56,342 times

Advertisements

I will be Relocating to Decatur GA from California and was wondering if anyone can tell me somethings about Decatur? I will be in the part of Decatur thats about 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta. Anyone already live there? I'm moving from a bad area of Compton CA , I've heard that the part i'm moving to is close to where I'm leaving but not as much shootings. They have drive by shootings everyday in Compton.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,298 times
It depends on what part of Decatur your in. Some parts are very nice. Some parts are not so nice but gentrifying. Northern Decatur is very liberal (Emory University is located nearby) and getting a little expensive. Southern Decatur is a little more run down, spread out with higher crime. A lot of areas in southern Decatur are beginning to gentrify. It has a cute little downtown with the county courthouse and other county offices. There are also a lot of shops and restaurants. What else do you want to know about it? Most of Decatur can be about 20 minutes from downtown so I'm not sure what neighborhood your moving to.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Default Decatur Ga

Almost all of Decatur is 20 minutes from Downtown Atlanta--the heart of the city is historic and rather expensive(Agnes Scott College and close to Emory University and the Carter Center, etc)--seat of government for DeKalb County--lots of urban renewal in progress. The area around DeKalb Medical Center is on its way up--for housing.

The area around the jail/Memorial Drive/Clarkston/Stone Mt--which has a Decatur zip has more crime. SW DeKalb gets rougher.

I really don't think Decatur or Atlanta in general can compare to LA for gang related problems. That is what I have heard about the Compton, CA area.

Here's a chart that suggests places similar to Decatur. I don't know that I would completely agree--but it did not list Compton--places like 'Berkley, CA and Denver...'

>>>>>
Moderator cut: link removed

Here's a thread about Decatur:

Decatur

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 01-23-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Most of Decatur can be about 20 minutes from downtown so I'm not sure what neighborhood your moving to.
The zip code is 30303 i don't know if that helps any. Don't know what part it is considered. Thank you for taking time to answer my questions?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,713,884 times
Quote:
I'm moving from a bad area of Compton CA , I've heard that the part i'm moving to is close to where I'm leaving but not as much shootings. They have drive by shootings everyday in Compton.
Last time I happened to be in a not-so-wonderful part of Decatur -- in broad daylight, mind you, I witnessed several drive-by glarings!

(I'm a tender flower).

Seriously, after what you've lived through, I would think that most any part of Decatur would be an improvement. DA Gwen Keyes Fleming certainly seems to be stepping up efforts to rid DeKalb county of gang activity.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Compton has it's nice areas but the part I live in is horriable. My neighbor's 45 year old son just got shoot and killed last Saturday night coming from the store at 10pm at night. A car full of hispanic males pulled up and opened fire on him. They fired 15 rounds. My 15 year old son and i were on the floor, waiting for the shots to stop. That's only a little bit of the life i have been living for 11 years. i'm 40 years old and ready for a new change.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM

Thank you for posting what you think. I'm looking forward to moving to decatur, i'm leaving my job of 12 years to start a new job doing the same thing. Im a hotel phone operator, and also a licenced Graphic Designer. Just want to go to work and come home to no drama, yellow crime tape and the street where I live blocked off as a crime scene.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,298 times
30303 should all be in downtown Atlanta.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
30303 should all be in downtown Atlanta.
~~
Zipcode 30303

http://www.showing247.com/guides/zipcodes/30303.html

This is not Decatur--but the very heart of the City of Atlanta. Unless there is a tiny part of 30303 that is near Moreland Ave--Little 5 Points and the vicinity????
~~~~~~
'Decatur Street

East/West - borders Georgia State University campus
(Decatur Street becomes DeKalb Avenue to the east of downtown and Marietta Street to the west of downtown

I would look for housing closer to Decatur/North. Around North Decatur Rd/DeKalb Medical Center and all the way out to Tucker/St. Mt--would not feel safe in this neighborhood at all. FWIW.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-23-2007 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Crime in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tiveBlessing View Post
Thank you for your feedback. Compton has it's nice areas but the part I live in is horriable. My neighbor's 45 year old son just got shoot and killed last Saturday night coming from the store at 10pm at night. A car full of hispanic males pulled up and opened fire on him. They fired 15 rounds. My 15 year old son and i were on the floor, waiting for the shots to stop. That's only a little bit of the life i have been living for 11 years. i'm 40 years old and ready for a new change.
~~~~~~~
You might find that sort of an environment in the poorest sectors of Atlanta---the nightly news keeps us well-informed.

Things could be worse here--Atlanta was not really prepared to grow so quickly and become culturally diverse.

Zip Code 30303 would seem to place you around GA State University/Grady Hospital--in the very heart of the city. It is really not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or