U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,680 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone
My husband and 2 toddlers will be moving to GA this summer. We were looking at the Alpharetta area as it seems to be developing and the cost of housing not too high. I needed information on Crabapple Elementary School in Alpharetta. We are looking at putting our kids in public school and will decide where to buy depending on the school.
Appreciate any input....Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 AM

426 posts, read 2,110,026 times
I don't know too much about Crabapple, although because of ot's North Fulton location it is bound to be a top notch school. Summitt Hill Elementary in the new city of Milton(formerly Alpharetta) is the best elementary school in the Fulton County School System. Students then go on to Northwestern Middle and Milton High, two highly rated schools as well. Check out the AJC School Guide for stats.

But be advised that Milton is more expensive than Alpharetta. The new homes start in the 500s to 600s on the low end and go up from there.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
Thanks Stvincent

Do you have the link to the AJC school guide?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 AM

426 posts, read 2,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2GA07 View Post
Thanks Stvincent

Do you have the link to the AJC school guide?
Sure it's http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/gen/schoolguide/index.html (broken link)

Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 AM

985 posts, read 5,218,514 times
google ga doe and go to Georgia Department education web site. Highlight data reporting/report card (last column on the right corner). There are stats for every school.

By the way, Crabapple also goes to Northwestern then Milton high as well.

Basically, Crabapple is neighborhood west of GA400.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM

18 posts, read 75,280 times
Default Lived in Alpharetta (new Johns Creek) for 5 years

I guess you are aware that the remaining unincorporated parts of north Fulton County recently incorporated into the new cities of Johns Creek (east of Alpharetta) and Milton (north/west of Alpharetta). Sandy Springs also incorporated a couple of years ago, but it is closer in along Roswell Road and the perimeter, I285. All three cities (Milton, Alpharetta and Johns Creek) are upscale (the upper end too with the most prestigeous neighborhoods like Country Club of the South and St. Ives being in Johns Creek), white collar communities and generally the public schools are going to be the best in the Atlanta metro area. I lived near Old Alabama and Medlockbridge Road in the new city of Johns Creek for the past 5 years before moving closer into the Emory U. area. The growing/long commute to work was the only reason that I decided to move. The NE section of the Atlanta metro area lying between Ga400 (running directly north from I285) and I85, which runs northeast toward South Carolina is fast becoming "the" best part of Georgia and Atlanta in which to live. New restaurants and shopping are booming, and even big scale entertainment at the Cobb Galleria and Gwinnett Civic Center that used to be only in downtown Atlanta and Buckhead have moved out to the northern suburbs. You will probably be very surprised at the quality of life that you'll find in this area of the north Atlanta metro area .... as long as you or your husband do not have to commute into downtown for work!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
Hi, just saw your message and as former Davie, FL. resident with kids in Summit Hill Elementary and Northwestern Middle since August, this area is great! I had our kids in a private school in Broward and they have adjusted just fine. Funniest thing is that the one area they underperformed in was SPANISH! Seems Georgia schools really teach this while SF schools just assume you'll get it from all the teachers speaking it casually. We are renting in Milton until home is sold in Broward. This logic also gives us time to sort out better areas while housing continues to drop. We just "missed" a 4/3 w/basement (5k sqft total under air) on 3 acres that was owned by the bank for $425k. We love Milton so now it's just a matter of finding another "deal"... Good luck and if you need any other tips from a former Broward resident, drop me a line!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM

5,659 posts, read 6,459,082 times
Fl2GA07
You might also check out GreatSchools.net. It is a national site started, I believe, by the "No Child Left Behind" results. Maybe some of the teacher posters can comment on this site.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 23,677 times
Default I want to Get Out of Parkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-from-davie View Post
Hi, just saw your message and as former Davie, FL. resident with kids in Summit Hill Elementary and Northwestern Middle since August, this area is great! I had our kids in a private school in Broward and they have adjusted just fine. Funniest thing is that the one area they underperformed in was SPANISH! Seems Georgia schools really teach this while SF schools just assume you'll get it from all the teachers speaking it casually. We are renting in Milton until home is sold in Broward. This logic also gives us time to sort out better areas while housing continues to drop. We just "missed" a 4/3 w/basement (5k sqft total under air) on 3 acres that was owned by the bank for $425k. We love Milton so now it's just a matter of finding another "deal"... Good luck and if you need any other tips from a former Broward resident, drop me a line!
Hi, I just saw your post and I am a fellow South Floridian, still living in Parkland, FL hoping to sell my home and move to Alpharetta (Milton) area in June 2010 as my son will be going to college, hopefully to Georgia Tech. I lived in Alpharetta 14 years ago when things were just being built up but circumstances forced me to move back to NJ after a divorce. I later moved with my new husband to PArkland and I have been here 6 years. Long story, I never liked it here (Parkland snobs, phony people and too expensive to live), my husband passed away two years ago and I really want to get back to Alpharetta. I recently visited with my two young kids and still love it. I am desparately looking for advice on where to rent an apartment (before I buy anything as I too have to sell my home in this horrible market) and what elemntary school is best to put my kids in. As I said, I like the Milton area very much.
Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks, MW

Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM

12,915 posts, read 19,792,997 times
Pretty soon all of So. FL will be here! I am also in Milton after moving up from Weston. We are very happy with the schools. The elementary school that the OP mentioned is actually Crabapple Crossing, which feeds into Northwestern and Milton High. I did not send my oldest to public high school in Weston, but Milton is great. I have two sons there now. There are not a lot of apartments in Milton, most of them are in the Windward & Deerfield areas. There are, however, lots of houses that have signs up saying "For rent or Purchase".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or