U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:56 PM

31 posts, read 152,027 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Atlanta area soon and we are trying to decide what areas we should be considering. We would like a nice, low crime, white collar area with good schools, friendly neighbors, and convenient shopping (Target or Wal-Mart super centers etc.). Because we have young children we would also like an area that has plenty of fun stuff for kids to do (Gymboree, Little Gym, or any other kind of child play centers, libraries with fun kids programs, etc).

We are looking for a home around 250K. We generally like large neighborhoods with lots of stuff to do (walking trails, plenty of sidewalks for bike riding and skating, a pool, tennis, playground etc.) Any advice on general areas to consider or specific neighborhoods to look at would be greatly appreciated. (We have generally been researching the areas North of Atlanta, but are open to considering any area that meets our needs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,804,723 times
Metro Atlanta is huge -- it would help if we knew a bit more about what is bringing you here -- is it a job -- if so where is it?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,949,278 times
I don't mean to be curt, but what you're looking for--we were looking for the same things--just doesn't exist in the $250k price range in very many areas.

We expected that if we were going to endure the hardships of uprooting our family, then we'd better darn well get the nice, low crime, high income, great school, happy/friendly/family neighborhood all wrapped in a bow and waiting for us when we got there. I mean, heck; we did the research. We saw the maps. It was easy as pie. Well, it's different when you get here.

The community you (and we) want are considerably more than $250k. That's not to say that you won't find some of what you require. But if you want all of those things, you should be ready to spend a great deal more.

Why? One reason is because the areas that are so desirable are heavily concentrated on the north side of metro Atlanta. Many reasons for that, but it is what it is. Now, that doesn't exclude the entire south metro area. Peachtree City, for instance, gets rave reviews for everything from unique neighborhoods to "good" schools to shopping. But $250k is probably going to limit your options there as well.

What $250K will get you is a nice house and most of what you want, in one of the outer-ring suburbs. But you'll pay for that in traffic, unless you work remotely or have a flexible schedule.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM

129 posts, read 580,233 times
to the Op check out the subdivision legacy park in Kennesaw, There are a bunch of little neighborhoods within in one big one from the high 100k-800k.
They have pools, tennis, lakes , playgrounds, walking trails etc..
legacypark.org..
Can't really tell you anything about the schools tho.
Peachtree city also might fit your bill, but that price range will be a very older home..
good luck

Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 PM

426 posts, read 2,110,689 times
You should check out Smyrna. In that price range, to gt everything you want, you will have to buy an older home. Older homes in Smyrna start in the low 200s and go up from there. A few townhomes are still being built in that range too. The Village Green, Smyrna's downtown village has a Gymboree, a fram shop, a pottery shop where your kids can create their own pottery and paint it, serveral restaurants and bars, a wine shop, and some ice cream parlors(including a Gelato shop). Smyna has a big stores like Target, Marshall's, TXMAXX, Circuit City, Hi-Fi Buys etc along Windy Hill Rd, Cobb Pkwy, and S. Cobb Dr. There is not a Wal-Mart in Smyrna at the moment bacuse residents don't want one, they fear it will destroy the businesses in the village, but there are two close by. One is in Marietta and the other one is in Austell off the E-W Conector. The location is great too. Becuase the city is off of I-285 it is considered a close-in suburb. This will be vey good for your home value in the future aas the Metro area continues to expand. The Platinum Traingle(Cumberland area) is right next door to Smyrna, Downtown/Midtown is about 15-20 minutes away, Sandy Srpings is about 10-15 minutes away, and Buckhead is about 15 minutes away. These are all major employment centers so if you are working in any of these areas.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM

612 posts, read 2,502,158 times
Try looking in Snellville--zip code 30039, Plenty of parks, shopping, and family things to do. It is a very safe area but prices are starting to go up.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM

There are several reasons we are moving to the ATL area. One of which is for career reasons. My husband is currently interviewing at a number of places in the ATL. area (everywhere from Alpharetta to Cartersville to Duluth and midtown ATL). However, many of the jobs he is considering will be based out of a home office and he will only have to go to a "real" office occasionally. Therefore, I think we will have a fair amount of flexibility about where we want to live.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Default What about ...

Several people have mentioned to us: Cartersville, Flowery Branch, Canton, Cumming, or Austel. Do any of you have advice about these areas?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 AM

985 posts, read 5,220,554 times
How about Morningside subdivisions around Suwanee? They got this master plan area where several subdivisions shared club house, walking trail and others. The price ranges from low 200s to 500s. It is close to Discovery Mill mall. Close to Gwinnett arena where a lot of events happening. Also, nice schools and very safe neighborhood.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 PM

563 posts, read 2,506,821 times
My suggestion: Chapel Hill area of Douglasville--the Brookmont subdivision. The homes there range from 200K upwards to about 800K. It's a huge master planned subdivision with tennis courts, this FABULOUS clubhouse, swimming pool, nature trails, charter school on site, elementary school to be built on site, a Primrose Academy on site (they are known for excellent early childhood education programs) and a fire station to be built on site. Target, Pier 1, Publix (grocery store), and the mall are 5-7 minutes away. I'd say it's only been there for a year and a half.

The schools in that area are pretty decent (I'm an educator--I'd place my son in their elementary school with no problem) and housing can be found in the area in your price range. There is a child play center here, dance studios, parks, little leagues, swim teams, play groups, you name it. The Sweetwater Creek State Park, which is a beautiful state park, is about 15-20 minutes away.

Douglasville is about 25-30 minutes away from the city of Atlanta--so you are close enough to enjoy Atlanta amenities.

I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or