U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
 
387 posts, read 1,417,658 times
Reputation: 112

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatElvisForever View Post
Oh sure, anywhere north of the city and you'll be fine. har-har.

Yes. I totally agree. Anywhere off of Mt. Paran Road... he'll be fine.. he'll fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
 
Location: FL
2,392 posts, read 4,925,499 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Very good post, stvincent.

It's strange when I see comments like the OP subject line though, because I actually HAVE heard black people here say that moving to Atlanta is almost like a "mecca movement" for blacks. Many corporate head hunters and real estate/relocators in other area of the U.S. will hype up Atlanta to their black clients saying it's "the place" to move to. But many blacks I've talked to about this say that once they get here they have more of a, "Uh - this is it??" attitude about it. I will say though for what it's worth (not much I guess) that a show on HGTV recently rated Atlanta as the #1 city for black singles.

Regarding the above - there is a huge middle/upper income black population here, but it's hard for you to ever know it - as stvincent said, they "self-segregate" and unless you just happen to stumble into one of the neighborhoods (which are usually suburban, not intown), you'd never know they exist. There is also a huge low-class black community in Atlanta as well (note I'm not comparing income with "class", however). I've personally worked with and/or known a good number of black people who moved here from elsewhere (California, Washington State, etc) who commonly used the word "ghetto" to describe the black scene in Atlanta, and who very audibly voice their disapproval with the climate here. Most all I knew moved back to where they came from, or moved on elsewhere and were not happy here.

I'm obviously not black, but if I were a highly educated/career oriented black person I *think* at least that I wouldn't be really happy here. DC, maybe. San Fran perhaps, too. But Atlanta just seems to get pegged so much as the "Rapper/Hip Hopper" and high crime Capital of the South... not as a mecca for college educated upper-class black folks. Another coworker who had a child who was graduating from Spelman College mentioned to me that many of the graduating class along with her daughter are leaving the area upon graduation to "make it" elsewhere, and they don't see Atlanta as the place for kids like them to do it. That's just what she said - again, I'm not black or successful for that matter. LOL.
Your post is right on the mark. The blacks I know in FLA that moved to ATL b/c they thought that it was the mecca eventually moved back to FLA after a year or two there. They went with the hope and thought that somehow by being in the ATL among the other highly educated blacks, they would be able to somehow magically transform their fortunes. They saw that it was the same as any other city and that if they weren't in the "ATL clique" it was hard to break into something special there. That's what one of my buddies in South FL told me 2 years ago when he tried to get back to ATL. He found out that one of the "ATL insiders" got the position that he was going after. But now he is making his own big moves in South FL so there's that.

My sister was the same way at some point thinking that if she moved to ATL she would experience all kinds of "milk and honey" experiences in ATL. But as she got into her late 20s and continued to visit family in ATL, she realized that she could do well where she was currently and that she didn't need to move to ATL. She also realized that she liked the FL lifestyle and she is also making good moves in her career where she currently is at.

I've never been one to see ATL as the "mecca" b/c I see blacks doing well in cities other than the ATL and I also prefer the FL lifestyle to the ATL lifestyle. But some blacks can't see past the "mecca" and realize that they can succeed in any city as long as they're determined to.

And yes, ATL now has the stigma of being a "thugs paradise"/middle class/upper middle class black "mecca". That's b/c when you turn on MTV or BET all you see is the "A". So now at least in some circles, the "A" mainly consists of rappers/r&b singers whom seem to fall out of the sky in ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Sacramento,California
3 posts, read 10,212 times
Reputation: 10
You seem to know alot about the Atlanta area, do you know anything about Locust Grove in Henry County? Is it country far out from everything, are there at least Starbucks, Bars/Lounges or would I have to travel for these things??? Help, I am moving there mid August from California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,452,214 times
Reputation: 349
Default Fellow California (West LA) Transplant here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idtj1132 View Post
You seem to know alot about the Atlanta area, do you know anything about Locust Grove in Henry County? Is it country far out from everything, are there at least Starbucks, Bars/Lounges or would I have to travel for these things??? Help, I am moving there mid August from California
There are'nt any uber cool or upscale bars/lounges in Henry County, however I'm sure there is a starbucks. You would definately have to travel to enjoy the nightlife & culinary experiences in Atlanta which are primarily located in the downtown, midtown and buckhead areas if Atlanta .

All you get in henry country are cookie-cutter chain restaurant you see in all of suburbia (Fridays, Applebees..etc.). If you dont mind the 30-45 minute drive after rush-hour to enjoy those things then Henry Country should be fine for you. If your already used to that type of commute in California to dine, club, etc. you should be fine. So just be prepared!

Last edited by xxman777; 07-27-2007 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: fix quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Home Limbo
160 posts, read 525,558 times
Reputation: 50
Henry County is the boonies to me. It's nice to have a country feel sometimes, but even as my status has changed from young single professional last time I lived in /atlanta to full time mom now, it's still too far away. if you don't go to atlanta regularly and go to bed early you'd be fine. Otherwise, everything shuts down, even Publix. (In Fl. they were open to 11) The traffic is murder on 75 at all different times, so a commute is out of the question IMO. It'd be easier to go to Macon for work.

What is so freakin bad about the southside to everyone? I plan to buy in the South Fulton area. I tried to keep an open mind to the places people recomend here, but I got very disappointed. I'ved lived in Cobb before, but don't want to go back b/c of the traffic there as well. When someone mentioned Inman and Grant Park I looked up some homes on the MLS and drove around there and looked up their neighborhood newsletters. I felt very out of place. The only Black woman I saw looked like a nanny. The homes were beautiful, but didn't look like anyone like me owned them.
I was thinking 'wtf were they talking about when they said diverse'? I haven't posted about that visit, because that seems to be the holy grail of Atlanta living (along with Alpharetta, cobb and Paulding counties) on the board and I didn't want to get the questions like someone just did about wanting to be around some similar people.
It seems like they plopped some nice stores and restaurants in the middle of the hood, and now people think it's diverse when most of the old residents can't afford these renovated homes. From the newsletters it looks like crime is worse, but they want to talk about other areas being bad. No one in the neighborhoods I'm looking at has told me they've found bullets on the patio or had their basement doors kicked in. L5P is diverse it seems b/c of the artsy crowd...and i'm not that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,190 posts, read 29,578,014 times
Reputation: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
What is so freakin bad about the southside to everyone? I plan to buy in the South Fulton area. I tried to keep an open mind to the places people recomend here, but I got very disappointed.
The thing is, South Fulton and Clayton DO have very high crime rates in some areas. You need only watch the local news for a week or two to get a feel for that, or read the police blotters in those areas. Not every single square inch of that area is super bad, but there are numerous hot spots.

Your best bet - just find the neighborhood you want to live in and just go knock on some doors. Ask the people who actually LIVE there what they think about any trouble or crime that exists in the area. That's the best way to get the real story on it if you don't want to just go by suggestions on a board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Avondale Estates
426 posts, read 2,110,026 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post

What is so freakin bad about the southside to everyone? I plan to buy in the South Fulton area. I tried to keep an open mind to the places people recomend here, but I got very disappointed. I'ved lived in Cobb before, but don't want to go back b/c of the traffic there as well. When someone mentioned Inman and Grant Park I looked up some homes on the MLS and drove around there and looked up their neighborhood newsletters. I felt very out of place. The only Black woman I saw looked like a nanny. The homes were beautiful, but didn't look like anyone like me owned them.
I was thinking 'wtf were they talking about when they said diverse'? I haven't posted about that visit, because that seems to be the holy grail of Atlanta living (along with Alpharetta, cobb and Paulding counties) on the board and I didn't want to get the questions like someone just did about wanting to be around some similar people.
It seems like they plopped some nice stores and restaurants in the middle of the hood, and now people think it's diverse when most of the old residents can't afford these renovated homes. From the newsletters it looks like crime is worse, but they want to talk about other areas being bad. No one in the neighborhoods I'm looking at has told me they've found bullets on the patio or had their basement doors kicked in. L5P is diverse it seems b/c of the artsy crowd...and i'm not that either.
I completely understand where you are coming from and where the other poster was coming from when she was asking for affluent segregated Black neighborhoods. I am Black and I live in Vinings. Vinings is 12% Black but most of the Blacks live in the apartments and condos in the community instead of the pricier single family homes. Because of my price range the affluent Black communities in South Fulton and South Dekalb did not serve my needs. A HUGE problem I have with these areas is their lack of unity as a community in allowing builders to develop subdivisions with homes starting in the mid 100s a few blocks from subdivisions starting in the 600s. Ultimately that coupled with the poor public schools in the area threaten property values and it seems as if none of the residents living in half million dollar homes seem to care that their neighborhoods aren't as homogeneous as Alpharetta or Buckhead.

I was afraid that if I lived in Cascade, Sandtown, or Lithonia my children would eventually venture into the lower income communities down the street from where we were looking and make friends with people far outside of their socioeconmic class. My concern with this was that my kids would be made to feel guilty because of their wealth and think that being Black would be synonomous with being ghetto. This is a huge problem in the Black community and I am sure plenty of you know where I am coming from. This is why when you drive into Guilford Forest in the Cascade community you see plenty of teens hanging out looking like they have come straight out of a rap video with baggy clothes and grillz and diving chevys on 22s. These same kids live in $700,000 homes but probably go to Westlake where their idea of what it means to be Black was influenced by those who came from the more lower class communities.

All of my children attend The Lovett School which is lily White. BUT, to ensure that they still know that they're Black(without having to think they have to be hood) I have them all in Jack and Jill. Because of that organization my kids have been able to hang around other Blacks like them and understand that no matter how educated they act or how well they might be dressed, being Black is about their heritage and no one can take that away from them. While some of their friends are white that live in the neighborhood or attend Lovett the majority of their friends are Black and hail from Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Brookhaven, and Vinings. And they all go to Woodward, Westminster, Pace, and Lovett, the best private schools in the city.

There is more than one way to self segregate. We live in a White community on the northside in close proximity to the elite Buckhead private schools but have found ways for our children to still be surrounded by successful Black role models just as you would find in Cascade and Lithonia. To me, an affluent family would have to sacrifice so much just to live in those areas, like schools, distance from good shopping and dining, and a more homogeneous environment.

Now, before anyone starts to peg me a racist, I CHOOSE to be around my own race and have my children around their own race. I have nothing against white people, if I did my wife and I would not have purchased in this area. We invite our neighbors over for cookouts and we encourage our children to befriend their white schoolmates. It is just a matter of culture. People feel more comfortable around their own. I have no critisims of the whites who move to Forsyth County to be in a lily white environment. I completly understand that. When integration came about it allowed for Black people to live in the communities they wanted to live in and to send heir children to the schools they wanted to attend. Social integration, whether it be along class or racial lines, is impossible to enforce and in the end you have to respect another person's decision to hang out with who they choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Home Limbo
160 posts, read 525,558 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
A HUGE problem I have with these areas is their lack of unity as a community in allowing builders to develop subdivisions with homes starting in the mid 100s a few blocks from subdivisions starting in the 600s. Ultimately that coupled with the poor public schools in the area threaten property values and it seems as if none of the residents living in half million dollar homes seem to care that their neighborhoods aren't as homogeneous as Alpharetta or Buckhead.

I was afraid that if I lived in Cascade, Sandtown, or Lithonia my children would eventually venture into the lower income communities down the street from where we were looking and make friends with people far outside of their socioeconmic class. My concern with this was that my kids would be made to feel guilty because of their wealth and think that being Black would be synonomous with being ghetto. This is a huge problem in the Black community and I am sure plenty of you know where I am coming from. This is why when you drive into Guilford Forest in the Cascade community you see plenty of teens hanging out looking like they have come straight out of a rap video with baggy clothes and grillz and diving chevys on 22s. These same kids live in $700,000 homes but probably go to Westlake where their idea of what it means to be Black was influenced by those who came from the more lower class communities.

All of my children attend The Lovett School which is lily White. BUT, to ensure that they still know that they're Black(without having to think they have to be hood) I have them all in Jack and Jill. Because of that organization my kids have been able to hang around other Blacks like them and understand that no matter how educated they act or how well they might be dressed, being Black is about their heritage and no one can take that away from them. While some of their friends are white that live in the neighborhood or attend Lovett the majority of their friends are Black and hail from Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Brookhaven, and Vinings. And they all go to Woodward, Westminster, Pace, and Lovett, the best private schools in the city.

There is more than one way to self segregate. We live in a White community on the northside in close proximity to the elite Buckhead private schools but have found ways for our children to still be surrounded by successful Black role models just as you would find in Cascade and Lithonia. To me, an affluent family would have to sacrifice so much just to live in those areas, like schools, distance from good shopping and dining, and a more homogeneous environment.
.
You raise some great points! Whew, do we have alot of things to consider! I'd never thought about the developer issue, but that's definitely true. Especially closer to S Fulton Pkwy... We're in the middle price wise and what we could get here, even in the 100's, is a thousand times better than what my choices were in Florida at the same price. Nothing is more depressing than paying a huge mortgage to live in the "ghetto".
I did see some kids with the head rags on this weekend and thought it was strange that they'd be dressed like that when their parents would obviously be well off in that neighborhood. Now you've explained it for me ! But it is 2 sides of the coin that I have to give some thought. I grew up around more white people and my husband had none then went to an HBCU. He tried to tell me that I was sheltered until now when he's reached a point in his career where coworkers are saying he's not like the 'rest' of the Black people. He was not prepared for that at all, but I expect it from them at some point.

How do your kids like their school? I never liked being the token poster child for all things Black at school and didn't want my son to have to go through that. ( I didn't go to school in Atlanta though, so maybe people are a little less ignorant) I'm curious about pressure to fit that stereotype coming from white people as well.
Westlake is the hs I'd be zoned for, so it's funny you mentioned it. However, I am a looong way from that age and figured there's gonna be a new hs by then or the landscape will change with more homeowners and less renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,896,261 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
What is so freakin bad about the southside to everyone?
For me the issue was proximity to work. Period. The company I work for has its offices near the Cumberland Mall, so we moved somewhere close to that location. Initially a rental house in Smyrna, and now a house in Mableton.

If I were working at the company location down by the airport, I would have been looking for houses down by the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Avondale Estates
426 posts, read 2,110,026 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
You raise some great points! Whew, do we have alot of things to consider! I'd never thought about the developer issue, but that's definitely true. Especially closer to S Fulton Pkwy... We're in the middle price wise and what we could get here, even in the 100's, is a thousand times better than what my choices were in Florida at the same price. Nothing is more depressing than paying a huge mortgage to live in the "ghetto".
I did see some kids with the head rags on this weekend and thought it was strange that they'd be dressed like that when their parents would obviously be well off in that neighborhood. Now you've explained it for me ! But it is 2 sides of the coin that I have to give some thought. I grew up around more white people and my husband had none then went to an HBCU. He tried to tell me that I was sheltered until now when he's reached a point in his career where coworkers are saying he's not like the 'rest' of the Black people. He was not prepared for that at all, but I expect it from them at some point.

How do your kids like their school? I never liked being the token poster child for all things Black at school and didn't want my son to have to go through that. ( I didn't go to school in Atlanta though, so maybe people are a little less ignorant) I'm curious about pressure to fit that stereotype coming from white people as well.
Westlake is the hs I'd be zoned for, so it's funny you mentioned it. However, I am a looong way from that age and figured there's gonna be a new hs by then or the landscape will change with more homeowners and less renters.
As far as I know my children love Lovett. The school challenges them academically, the sports teams are all excellent which gives the school alot of spirit and pride, and there seems to be a natual bond among the majority of the students there. Atlanta is not really bad at all when it comes to race relations. The students and parents have not approached my family with silly steryotypes and don't try to make my children feel special because they got the oppotunity for goin to their school. Atlanta has alot of middle class to upper class residents so I think the people who live here are smarter to assume that every Black person has an inner thug side waiting to come out and attack white people.

If you are looking in a moderate price range (I would assume somewhere between the 200s to 400s) I would suggest moving to Smyrna in Cobb County. The city is racially diverse and Blacks make up about 35-40% of the population. While you would probably have white neighbors you wouldn't feel out of place as you would have scores of Black neighbors in every neighborhood from Vinings Estates to the neighborhoods along Ridge Road. The public schools in the area are not near the best in the county or the metro area but they are decent. The IB program at Campbell High, the local high school, is excellent. It also offers a challenging AP/Honors Program with plenty of AP courses to choose from. The largest number of students attend UGA than any other public school which is the same as most Atlanta area private schools. UGA and GA Tech are two of the best public universities in the country. I suggest Smyrna because the vast majority of Blacks who live there come from middle class families and don't feed into the "ghetto" steryotype. It's also only about 15-20 minutes from downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. Older homes range from the low 200s to the 600s and most new homes start in the 400s and go up from there. It would give you the Black enviroment you are looking for without having to sacrifice schools or convience to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top