U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM

22 posts, read 121,545 times

Advertisements

rvbrad - Thanks that makes perfect sense!!

neil0311 - you are certainly a very cynical person - I wish you well on fixing that. I will own property in two states and was questioning (correct me if I am wrong but that is the purpose of these forums) whether I actually needed to transfer everything or there was away to maintain my current registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,064,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear61 View Post
I just spoke to my neighbor who has lived in Maryland for over 6 years now and still has his license, tags, title and insurance under a friends address in Florida. As he explained, this way all required policies are kept current since he continues to renew all requirements with Florida's MVA and he carries current insurance with a Florida home address. Should he be invovled in an accident or get pulled over - everything is current and intact - he equates this to being involved in an accident or being pulled over on vacation - you are in a different state bit still "legal". Any thoughts...
Honestly, I don't think this flies. When your neighbor files his income tax, in what state does he claim to reside? Sure, he can probably pretend to be a Florida resident when buying insurance or getting pulled over. The thing I'd worry about, personally, is getting into any kind of serious accident. If faced with paying a large claim, I'd be concerned the insurer might investigate and decide the insurance was obtained fraudulently.

I agree with neil0311, whom I think is prudent rather than cynical, at least in this case. I used to spend a lot of time on immigration forums (I'm from Canada) and the popular desire to avoid changing driver's licence, vehicle registration etc. at all costs is pretty common. Like Neil, I just don't get it. The laws of all US states and Canadian provinces agree that when you move your primary residence to another state or province, you must get a new licence and tags. Most of the states and provinces are members of one inter-jurisdictional compact or another, to try to enforce the rules. It's pretty easy to understand that they want drivers and vehicles licensed once, and only once, at their real home location.

Honestly, changing over your licence and tags may seem intimidating (apparently lots of people find it so) but it really is just not that big a deal. Rather than trying to figure out how to jump through hoops and persuade yourself you can legally keep your old licence and tags, just go get Georgia ones. Then for sure, you'll have no worries about whether your arrangements are legal.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,850,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear61 View Post

neil0311 - you are certainly a very cynical person - I wish you well on fixing that. I will own property in two states and was questioning (correct me if I am wrong but that is the purpose of these forums) whether I actually needed to transfer everything or there was away to maintain my current registration.
OK..all I can say is this...you came here and posted some sketchy question about whether or not you can keep your old plates and insurance, even if you move to GA. You never mentioned having houses in 2 states or any details that would lead any average person to put 2+2 together.

Frankly, your story seemed a bit like you were trying to rationalize breaking the law and you seemed as though you wanted people to give you an OK to keep your old plates, etc. As I said, I don't give a rodent's rear end what you do, but it sounded sketchy and I told you so. If that's cynical, then so be it. My gut instincts are usually correct.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,254,658 times
Many people like to keep their old plates for strange vanity purposes(oh, look at me, I'm from *put state here* so I'm bad ass) and as keepsakes. People from CA do this a lot, as they're is this since of "West Coast bad ass" or the like. My friends in college do this, as well.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,254,658 times
Also, many just don't want to deal with the notorious DMVS of Georgia. I mean, we have a TEN YEAR LICENSE. What does that say about having to deal with those folks, LOL? (Although, I do admit, IDK the terms in other states).

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 14,419 times
Default how to renew my driver's licence

Hi, my driver's licence is going to expire soon, what documents I need to provide in order to get it renewed? Do they need my passport? do they need my official document to show that I am legal resident here in Georgia, or I just need to bring my driver's licence ? I am Chinese. Thank you.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,419 times
Hi, I have a driver's licence which is going to expire soon, What docements do I need to provide in order to renew it? I am not a native American, I am Chinese student. Do they need my passport and other docement showing that I am legal here? or I just need to bring my licence? What is the 10 year history check? I have already driven for more than 10 years here? can anyone explain it to me? Thank you.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM

269 posts, read 960,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2ga View Post
rvbrad - Thanks that makes perfect sense!!

It sounds like an answer that tells you not to do it, you criticize the person, and an answer that tells you what you want to hear, you approve of.

In fact, working in Georgia and not filing a tax return is a lot more serious than failing to change a license plate and/or driver's license. The first can be a felony, whereas (I think) the second is not even a misdemeanor.

Georgia Man Arrested on SC Tax Charges

Domicile is not determinative of state income tax liability -- it's primarily a matter of where the income is earned. It's rather complicated. Like, if you have a bank account in Georgia that pays interest but you live full time in another state, you don't owe Ga. income tax on the interest. Also, there are some exceptions, like a 5% rule if working for an out of state employer.

The important part being, if you make money here, having a house elsewhere is irrelevant to your state tax liability. If you don't work for an employer who files a W4, your chances of getting away with it are a lot better. I don't know if the state monitors 1099's, but I doubt it. But if you do get caught, it can get a bit scary.

Whereas, if you get caught for a license plate/driver's license problem, it's usually just a bit of money and a hassle, since you have to show the court the valid registration or license as well as pay the fine. I don't think it's even points on your license.

I was standing next to a guy at the Post Office just last week, buying a money order to pay a ticket for not changing registration on day 31! He was not happy but did laugh about it a bit.

I got nailed once on the driver's license. It's not actually that big a fine ($150-200 I think) but it's a pain. They get some people quickly and some seem to get away with it for years. But they are especially vigilant in Fulton County/City of Atlanta, as a lot of people try to keep their cars registered in other counties to avoid higher tax rates.

By the way, here's a little known fact: the Georgia police cannot give you a ticket for driving with an expired out-of-state tag. They can only ticket you for not driving with a valid Georgia tag, if they establish that you have resided in state for more than 30 days.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,850,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
By the way, here's a little known fact: the Georgia police cannot give you a ticket for driving with an expired out-of-state tag. They can only ticket you for not driving with a valid Georgia tag, if they establish that you have resided in state for more than 30 days.
So you mean to tell me that there is no penalty for driving an unregistered vehicle in Georgia, as long as it's titled in another state? If find that hard to believe, but I'd love to know if that's true. Pretty sad if true.

I have seen cars with expired out of state license plates running around in GA, and I've wondered why they don't get yanked by the cops. After all, if I can see that the decal on their plate is expired, so can every cop that pulls up behind them. Most of the time a car that is unregistered is also uninsured, and in most states the two go hand in hand. In Massachusetts, if your auto insurance lapsed, your registration was revoked, and if your registration was cancelled, your auto insurance was also cancelled. That was by law and not negotiable.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM

263 posts, read 1,022,257 times
get a military sticker and u will not have to worry about changing it

i would change it because u dont have to get any expections in Ga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or