U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:51 PM

187 posts, read 842,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Right now it's fine... but those of us who have been here a while remember Freaknik - an event where thousands of black college students would come into town, cruise around town and park their cars alone Peachtree street (among others). There would be random shootings, fights, a rape or two, and people living in Midtown would complain of threats, people peeing in their yards, a few shots fired into home windows, etc. The Mayor finally got rid of it by cracking down with the law, but just keep in mind that if you live near the main drag in Midtown, you will always be subject to stuff like that or any other irritating event should it decide to take residence here in the future. Living intown has perks as well as minuses.
Greg:

From time to time I wonder if you are racist or just blunt to the bone but I remember the Freaknik as not being an all "black" thing but there was many other races of folk involved in the crazy events of the Freaknik. But as usual white media only showed blacks doing damage when in essence this event attracted various races of folk. Don't try and scare away people with information from the past!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
Greg:

From time to time I wonder if you are racist or just blunt to the bone but I remember the Freaknik as not being an all "black" thing but there was many other races of folk involved in the crazy events of the Freaknik. But as usual white media only showed blacks doing damage when in essence this event attracted various races of folk. Don't try and scare away people with information from the past!
Derrick,

While I will agree that the media shows only certain things during events like that, Freaknik was highly advertised and organized as a black college student event. I knew/know people who live in Midtown - they called me during this thing for the few years it came here, and they weren't screaming, "Oh my god, there are Asians peeing in my yard". It was more like, "there are guys playing Rap outside my door and peeing in my yard and when I asked them to stop, they pulled a gun out and waved it at me". Yes, really. I heard of no mass Hispanic rampages during the event, either. Some of the crime was committed by young urban teens who took advantage of the situation it was reported, but to those living around it, it didn't matter who - the EVENT caused it.

It was in the past and if you read the post, I stated that if you live in an area intown like that and especially near the main drag, you would be subject to any such even or any other irritating even (no even or race-base given) that may happen in the future. This would also include rabid sushi sword swingers too I suppose - we just haven't seen that here, yet.

People are asking what living in Midtown is like - they want *all* sides to it. It isn't all butterflies, sunshine, and people singing cu-m-ba-ya my lord, you know. If you noted (which you apparently did not), I also warned them that if they have an issue with gays, the gay parade is there as well Moderator cut: too personal .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or