U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,434 times

Advertisements

I am a senior hoping to move to Atlanta - this is where I would like to retire to - I want to know what are the senior affordable housing like there - I read that the public transportation is bad from some of the bloggers - so what is deal about that. I wanted to not buy a car and use the public transportation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM

22,274 posts, read 16,310,747 times
Quote:
I wanted to not buy a car and use the public transportation.
Depends on were you live. If you live near a MARTA station or connecting bus, then its not so bad. I use MARTA everyday, everything I need is close to a MARTA station or 1 bus away.MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 24,298 times
Default 5 Pros & Cons of Atlanta metro

good:
1. trees everywhere...we live in a forest!
2. multitudes of diverse folk enjoying the american dream
3. relatively mild cost of living
4. WCLK - real jazz almost 24/7
5. dirt cheap downtown parking

not good:
1. frequent traffic nightmares
2. hazardous weather - flooding, lightning strikes, tornados
3. nonsensical street infrastructure apparently designed by circus clowns
4. host to a corrupt and regressive state government
5. annoying overabundance of red state goobers

Old 07-20-2012, 06:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,089,749 times
Here is my list. Mind you some things like Weather may vary depending on where you come from, in my case it is from the Pacific Northwest. Also, home is the middle of the city for me so that also impacts my list (Traffic is not high on my list for one).

Pros:
1). Weather - Love enjoying beautiful, sunny weather and Love how much outdoor dining there is.
2). Growing City - Not many cities grow and change as fast -- Beltline, Ponce City Market, Midtown mile filing up with new shops, new museums, new district continue to develop (West Midtown).
3). Diversity - A melting pot leading to great restaurants, shops, international grocery stores etc (Buford Highway).
4). Plenty of Professional jobs and growing companies
5). Dynamic Neighborhoods - Takes time to discover all of Atlanta (or maybe I never will, 4+ years so far). Cute districts, local farmers markets, innovative entrepreneurs opening new shops constantly. Always something to do in the city no matter what your interest is (from going out on the town to theatre or intellectual events from the myriad of universities)
6). Do I have to stop...Spring Festivals, trees, Ga Mountains...

Cons:
1). No ocean (growing up near it I finally miss it, others could care less).
2). Generic suburbs
3). Public transit including buses could be a bit better - many locations you could not take the bus to work even if you wanted to.
4). People spread out all over the metro
5). July and August weather

Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 PM

178 posts, read 300,851 times
the dude that talked about "reverse discrimination" sounds like bitter George zimmerman. Let us all not forget what happens when certain groups of people feel threatened by progress and growth. If anything Atlanta represents just that when it comes to educated and successful minorities, which are inclusive of people who range from indian, black, asian, and Hispanic. The concept of" reverse discrimination" is just a cop out for your insecurities and those of others who feel uncomfortable that once oppressed groups of people are striving and no longer settling for the bottom...snitch!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM

28,237 posts, read 24,838,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrudaluknglass View Post
the dude that talked about "reverse discrimination" sounds like bitter George zimmerman.
I've never heard anything whatsoever from George Zimmerman about reverse discrimination or anything that sounded bitter. The guy is a minority himself.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,969,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowskee View Post
good:
1. trees everywhere...we live in a forest!
2. multitudes of diverse folk enjoying the american dream
3. relatively mild cost of living
4. WCLK - real jazz almost 24/7
5. dirt cheap downtown parking

not good:
1. frequent traffic nightmares
2. hazardous weather - flooding, lightning strikes, tornados
3. nonsensical street infrastructure apparently designed by circus clowns
4. host to a corrupt and regressive state government
5. annoying overabundance of red state goobers
commenting here on some of your statements:

Haha, 3. nonsensical street infrastructure apparently designed by circus clowns

This is so true! I cannot stand the way the streets just change their names at some random traffic light or not. I usually tend to remember the state route names and NOT street names since it is very confusing even for me, someone who has lived all over the metro for quite a while.

Not much into lists myself, but 3. relatively mild cost of living is most definitely a plus, if you have lived in other areas of the country where it does cost a lot more.

Lots to do here versus living in smaller towns. There is plenty of entertainment for most anyone in Atlanta. That is a definite plus in my book.

The whole employment thing, definitely get a job before moving here. I know that is repeated here over and over, but the days of landing in Atlanta and finding good work off-the-bat is harder to do. It is not impossible, but sometimes it is a stroke of luck if you are able to do that.

The GA government is definitely a downer: 4. host to a corrupt and regressive state government - I wish this were not the case, but I have to agree, terrible local politics and politicians, all levels in GA. I recommend more people getting politically involved whether it is a pet issue you are interested in or you should just go register and vote, even in primaries. Vote out the goobers.

Many people are politically apathetic, but then again, this is nothing unique to Atlanta or its environs. Such apathy allows sometimes some awful people to get elected here. GA makes it easy to get registered to vote: Motor Voter registration or go to the library and register. That is a good point to be made about this area.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM

96 posts, read 98,212 times
Here's my pros and cons list:

Pros:

1) If you love Soul Food this is the place to be
2) Looks really beautiful at night
3) It does have somewhat of some East Coast influences due to the NY transplants
4) Stone Mountain is fun to visit
5) (Outside the Atlanta City Limits) Smyrna/Cumberland Mall and 1-85/ Gwinnett County are really nice to visit

Cons:

1) Very Segregated & Racist
2) Not bicycle friendly and need a car
3) It's too cold during the winter and too hot and humid during the summer
4) The streets downtown are to spaced out and unorganized
5) High crime and the people will come off friendly but are really up to no good

I'm originally from L.A. and then lived in Atlanta from many years and just relocated back to California but now live in Sacramento. I will always come back to visit close friends in Atlanta but I will never in my life live there ever again. That place was horrible and what really got me is that there's a church on every corner and everybody said they were Christian but then gossip, judge, it was more about money than anything else, plus blacks and whites had there own separate churchs too. Riding MARTA was ok but only sucked at coming on time performance and most of the MARTA employees were douchebags.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM

9,610 posts, read 8,703,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post
Here's my pros and cons list:

Pros:

1) If you love Soul Food this is the place to be
2) Looks really beautiful at night
3) It does have somewhat of some East Coast influences due to the NY transplants
4) Stone Mountain is fun to visit
5) (Outside the Atlanta City Limits) Smyrna/Cumberland Mall and 1-85/ Gwinnett County are really nice to visit

Cons:

1) Very Segregated & Racist
2) Not bicycle friendly and need a car
3) It's too cold during the winter and too hot and humid during the summer
4) The streets downtown are to spaced out and unorganized
5) High crime and the people will come off friendly but are really up to no good

I'm originally from L.A. and then lived in Atlanta from many years and just relocated back to California but now live in Sacramento. I will always come back to visit close friends in Atlanta but I will never in my life live there ever again. That place was horrible and what really got me is that there's a church on every corner and everybody said they were Christian but then gossip, judge, it was more about money than anything else, plus blacks and whites had there own separate churchs too. Riding MARTA was ok but only sucked at coming on time performance and most of the MARTA employees were douchebags.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience in Atlanta and hope your life is improved in Sacramento. It's a shame you were not able to experience what most of us do - a good quality of life. Not perfect, but good.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 PM

329 posts, read 312,450 times
The great things:
1. Weather. Very moderate climate. Winters not too long or cold, summers are uncomfortable but not unbearable. Temperatures below freezing in the mornings maybe 15 days a year and temperatures over 100 rare. Snow almost never. Humidity not as bad as lower elevations like Savannah.
2. Housing. Very affordable for a metro this size.
3. Entertainment. All of it you can want. Events going on almost every weekend.
4. Geography. Mountains around the metro are nice to look at. Stone Mountain Park one of the best anywhere.
5. Jobs. If you want a job, you can get one fairly easily here. It just might not pay as much as you want.
The horrible things:
1. Traffic. It is absolutely horrible. I would say the worst in the USA. Freeways and major roads totally clogged from 6AM until 9PM everyday. You literally have to plan your life around Atlanta traffic. It determines where you work, where you live and where you go.
2. Some summer days have bad air pollution. Because of the metro's high elevation of over 1000 feet and the mountains to the north, bad air can linger for days in the summer sometimes. Also the pollen is really bad in the spring and cakes everything with this yellow powder.
3. Crime. You really have to be careful here because there is more than a fair amount of crime. The worst of it is mostly confined to Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton but it happens all over and you are not exempt from it living in Cobb or Gwinnett.
4. Public transportation. Decent in Fulton and DeKalb. Cobb has bus service. Non existent everywhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or