Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Lack of Seafood: OK, I realize ATL is landlocked so my expectations should have been low. It just never crossed my mind though. I am saying however that there is a special affinity for chicken here that is so strong that I've just about given it up; I'm on the verge of not being able to stand it.
Atlanta may be a landlocked city, but if you are a seafood lover, there very likely are plenty of seafood options (many more seafood options available than you might be aware of) if you know where to look.

If you are still in Cobb County, a good place to look for seafood is at the Marietta Fish Market, which is located at 3185 Canton Road in Marietta on the west side of the road just south of the intersection with New Chastain and Blackwell roads.
Marietta Fish Market - Marietta, GA | Yelp
Marietta Fish Market Seafood Restaurant 3185 Canton Road Marietta GA 30066

If you are in the City of Atlanta, some places known for decent/good/great seafood are:

...Legal Sea Foods at 275 Baker Street NW in the complex with the Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Atlanta near Centennial Olympic Park
Legal Sea Foods - The Standard for Quality and Freshness in the Restaurant Business.

...The Oceanaire Seafood Room at 1100 Peachtree Street in Midtown
The Oceanaire Seafood Room

...The Atlanta Fish Market at 265 Pharr Road NE in Buckhead Village (just east of the Buckhead Atlanta shopping development directly across the street from the Eclipse Buckhead high-rise condo development)
Atlanta Fish Market | Buckhead Life Restaurant Group

...SPONDIVITS Food and Spirits at 1219 Virginia Avenue in East Point (on Virginia Ave just east of I-85 between a Waffle House and a McDonalds just north of the Atlanta Airport)
Spondivits, copyright CRG Enterprises, LLC. All rights Reserved

Atlantic Seafood Company (at 2345 Mansell Road, Alpharetta, GA 30009, just east off of the GA 400 exit to Mansell Road) is a good place for seafood in North Fulton County
Atlantic Seafood Company | Alpharetta, GA | Sushi & Seafood | Reservations

Other places within (and just outside of) the City of Atlanta that are known for great seafood are:

...Canoe on Paces Ferry Road very-near the banks of the Chattahoochee River on the Cobb County side of the river in Vinings (restaurant has an outdoor patio near the river that is very-popular with customers...very-scenic place to eat seafood...most people who eat here really like the experience)
Canoe - Vinings - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
Canoe Atlanta

...Kevin Rathbun Steak at 154 Krog Street in the Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park area
Kevin Rathbun Steak - Old Fourth Ward - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
http://www.kevinrathbun.com/restaura...om/menu.htmlml

...Chops Lobster Bar in Buckhead
Chops Lobster Bar - Buckhead - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
Chops Lobster Bar | Buckhead Life Restaurant Group

...The Optimist at 10th & Howell Mill Road in the emerging West Midtown area
The Optimist - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
The Optimist

...Cafe Jonah and the Magical Attic in Buckhead
Cafe Jonah and the Magical Attic - Buckhead - Atlanta, GA | Yelp

...Six Feet Under Pub & Fish House with a flagship location at 437 Memorial Drive SE in the Grant Park area just across the road from historic Oakland Cemetery, and a second location at 685 11th Street NW in the emerging West Midtown area
Six Feet Under Pub & Fish House - Grant Park - Atlanta, GA | Yelp

Six Feet Under Atlanta

Happy Valley Dim Sum & Asian Cuisine east off of I-85 at 5495 Jimmy Carter Blvd in the Oakbrook Square Shopping Center in Norcross next to the Hong Kong Supermarket
Happy Valley - Norcross, GA | Yelp
Happy Valley Jimmy Carter Blvd

East Pearl Seafood at 1810 Liddell Ln in Duluth (east off of I-85 at the Pleasant Hill Road exit and south on Shackleford Road)
East Pearl Seafood - Duluth, GA | Yelp

And if you like Cajun food and Seafood, there is Adele's Authentic Cajun Experience at 690 Holcomb Bridge Rd, Suite 260 at the northeast corner of the intersection of GA 140 Holcomb Bridge Road and Old Roswell Road in Roswell
Adele's Authentic Cajun Experience - Roswell, GA | Yelp

Adele's Authentic Cajun food in Roswell, Georgia

Here is a link to a list of nearly 180 restaurants (some locally-owned homegrown seafood restaurants, some national chains, some Asian restaurants, etc) that serve decent to good to great to excellent to exceptional seafood all over Metro Atlanta (...the list starts with the highest-rated and higher-priced finer-dining seafood restaurants in the metro area and descends downward to the most-affordable corner take-out joints):
Seafood Atlanta, GA

...With this list, you will no longer be able to say that there are a lack of seafood restaurants in Metro Atlanta as this list is so long that it would likely take you YEARS to eat at most of the establishments listed and get to the end of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM

194 posts, read 317,346 times
ElleKaye is right about the seafood in Atl.

Born 2 Roll gave excellent choices and I've eaten at just about all of them. (did not like Atlanta Fish Market. WAY overpriced and not that good).

I wish we had more "real" seafood places and/or chains though. We are only a few hrs from the Atlantic and Gulf so the seafood market should be greater.

I ate at a small seafood place in Memphis called The Flying Fish across from the Peabody and it was awesome!! No frills, just damn good real seafood. (.50 cent oysters) I would like to see that chain here or something like it. A Raw Bar would be classic.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:13 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
I'm in St. Johns. Should be GREAT seafood. I can assure you Atlanta has far better.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:59 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
PROS
Great choice of smart, Bible-believing church congregations
Great private schools for all types of learners
good walkable intown living w/ trees but still city amenities.
reasonable cost of living
My family is here

CONS
Suburban sprawl encircles it/too big
Land-locked (no big river or coastline)
Corrupt city government
High property taxes
Traffic

Old 11-29-2013, 11:05 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
Having read this entire thread, I'd say MOST of the PROS/CONS will apply to many large metros.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
I'd have to add a con, as a transient it is a nightmare using GPS around here- two 85's, peachtree rd, ave, st, etc etc. throw in all the one way streets and generally nonsensical layout and its a wonder anyone maintains any degree of sanity in this place

Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Atlanta may be a landlocked city, but if you are a seafood lover, there very likely are plenty of seafood options (many more seafood options available than you might be aware of) if you know where to look.

If you are still in Cobb County, a good place to look for seafood is at the Marietta Fish Market, which is located at 3185 Canton Road in Marietta on the west side of the road just south of the intersection with New Chastain and Blackwell roads.
Marietta Fish Market - Marietta, GA | Yelp
Marietta Fish Market Seafood Restaurant 3185 Canton Road Marietta GA 30066

If you are in the City of Atlanta, some places known for decent/good/great seafood are:

...Legal Sea Foods at 275 Baker Street NW in the complex with the Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Atlanta near Centennial Olympic Park
Legal Sea Foods - The Standard for Quality and Freshness in the Restaurant Business.

...The Oceanaire Seafood Room at 1100 Peachtree Street in Midtown
The Oceanaire Seafood Room

...The Atlanta Fish Market at 265 Pharr Road NE in Buckhead Village (just east of the Buckhead Atlanta shopping development directly across the street from the Eclipse Buckhead high-rise condo development)
Atlanta Fish Market | Buckhead Life Restaurant Group

...SPONDIVITS Food and Spirits at 1219 Virginia Avenue in East Point (on Virginia Ave just east of I-85 between a Waffle House and a McDonalds just north of the Atlanta Airport)
Spondivits, copyright CRG Enterprises, LLC. All rights Reserved

Atlantic Seafood Company (at 2345 Mansell Road, Alpharetta, GA 30009, just east off of the GA 400 exit to Mansell Road) is a good place for seafood in North Fulton County
Atlantic Seafood Company | Alpharetta, GA | Sushi & Seafood | Reservations

Other places within (and just outside of) the City of Atlanta that are known for great seafood are:

...Canoe on Paces Ferry Road very-near the banks of the Chattahoochee River on the Cobb County side of the river in Vinings (restaurant has an outdoor patio near the river that is very-popular with customers...very-scenic place to eat seafood...most people who eat here really like the experience)
Canoe - Vinings - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
Canoe Atlanta

...Kevin Rathbun Steak at 154 Krog Street in the Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park area
Kevin Rathbun Steak - Old Fourth Ward - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
http://www.kevinrathbun.com/restaura...om/menu.htmlml

...Chops Lobster Bar in Buckhead
Chops Lobster Bar - Buckhead - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
Chops Lobster Bar | Buckhead Life Restaurant Group

...The Optimist at 10th & Howell Mill Road in the emerging West Midtown area
The Optimist - Atlanta, GA | Yelp
The Optimist

...Cafe Jonah and the Magical Attic in Buckhead
Cafe Jonah and the Magical Attic - Buckhead - Atlanta, GA | Yelp

...Six Feet Under Pub & Fish House with a flagship location at 437 Memorial Drive SE in the Grant Park area just across the road from historic Oakland Cemetery, and a second location at 685 11th Street NW in the emerging West Midtown area
Six Feet Under Pub & Fish House - Grant Park - Atlanta, GA | Yelp

Six Feet Under Atlanta

Happy Valley Dim Sum & Asian Cuisine east off of I-85 at 5495 Jimmy Carter Blvd in the Oakbrook Square Shopping Center in Norcross next to the Hong Kong Supermarket
Happy Valley - Norcross, GA | Yelp
Happy Valley Jimmy Carter Blvd

East Pearl Seafood at 1810 Liddell Ln in Duluth (east off of I-85 at the Pleasant Hill Road exit and south on Shackleford Road)
East Pearl Seafood - Duluth, GA | Yelp

And if you like Cajun food and Seafood, there is Adele's Authentic Cajun Experience at 690 Holcomb Bridge Rd, Suite 260 at the northeast corner of the intersection of GA 140 Holcomb Bridge Road and Old Roswell Road in Roswell
Adele's Authentic Cajun Experience - Roswell, GA | Yelp

Adele's Authentic Cajun food in Roswell, Georgia

Here is a link to a list of nearly 180 restaurants (some locally-owned homegrown seafood restaurants, some national chains, some Asian restaurants, etc) that serve decent to good to great to excellent to exceptional seafood all over Metro Atlanta (...the list starts with the highest-rated and higher-priced finer-dining seafood restaurants in the metro area and descends downward to the most-affordable corner take-out joints):
Seafood Atlanta, GA

...With this list, you will no longer be able to say that there are a lack of seafood restaurants in Metro Atlanta as this list is so long that it would likely take you YEARS to eat at most of the establishments listed and get to the end of the list.
Thanks for the linke Born 2 Roll. I have tried some of those restaurants and while the prep was good, I missed the fresh seafood taste. The freshest I have tasted here was at McCormick & Schmick's at Periemter. I'd definitely like to try Adele's Cajun; that sounds right up my alley.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
ElleKaye is right about the seafood in Atl.

Born 2 Roll gave excellent choices and I've eaten at just about all of them. (did not like Atlanta Fish Market. WAY overpriced and not that good).

I wish we had more "real" seafood places and/or chains though. We are only a few hrs from the Atlantic and Gulf so the seafood market should be greater.

I ate at a small seafood place in Memphis called The Flying Fish across from the Peabody and it was awesome!! No frills, just damn good real seafood. (.50 cent oysters) I would like to see that chain here or something like it. A Raw Bar would be classic.
Interestingly enough, I was not all that fond of Atlanta Fish Market either. It wasn't as bad as Captain D's lol, but the food was not nearly as good as I was expecting. I think my friends built it up too high before I ate there and they don't really like seafood in the first place so I should have known.

Have you ever had the crab cakes at Chequers. They are pretty tasty. More lump crab meat than breading - thumbs up! (I'd advise avoiding their gumbo at all costs though.)

Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Try the Steamhouse in midtown and Fontains in VaHi.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Thanks AnsleyPark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta