U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,645 times

Advertisements

I currently live just outside of Ft. Lauderdale and recently got a great position at Emory. This is truly a great opportunity for my family and I and thus I am trying to check out the area as best I can.

I have to say, however, that thus far this website has really begun to freak me out a bit by the extensive amount of postings regarding the crime associated with Atlanta. On top of that, it just seems like I am seeing more negatives overall about the city than positives.

We are currently looking into Gwinnett county, particularly Snellville, Lawrenceville, etc. When I look at the crime rates in those areas, they are quite low and certainly no worse than where I am now, which is a nice suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are certainly not strangers to crime, however, I have fortunately never been a victim of crime which I am attributing in part to the suburb in which I now live and the fact that I travel into downtown Ft. Lauderdale and/or Miami infrequently.

Can the same be said about the suburbs of Atlanta? Any Atlanta lovers out there at all??????

Thanks!

CVPA aka Freaked in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:34 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,622,705 times
While Atlanta has certain "very bad" neighborhoods, crime can occur anywhere. Criminals have cars. You might live downtown for two years and have nothing happen to you, then move to Duluth and your neighbors or you may have a home invasion or carjacking. It's very spread out here - crime can and does happen in all the burbs, though some less than others.

Gwinnett has changed a lot in recent years. Very diverse and is one of the fastest growing counties in the U.S. Also known very well for its traffic congestion. Just the other day there were two conventions going on downtown and the news reported it took commuters from Gwinnett 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get from Duluth to downtown Atlanta as a result. One alternative is to park your car at the Doraville MARTA station (our rapid transit system) and take the rail downtown, but you'd have to transfer to a bus to get to the Emory area as there are no rail stations very close to it.

People I know who live in Gwinnett say it's ok overall (but they also happen to work up there, too). They said crime has increased but is about average for any large city. Lawrenceville gets fewer complaints than Duluth from what I know.

Look, Atlanta is a city that compares to places like Detroit, Washington DC, and Baltimore in terms of crime. You can't escape it here regardless of what burb you pick. The stuff happens all over. You CAN minimize your chances of being a victim though, by doing stuff like making sure your home has a good security system in it, using "keyed" window locks, secure deadbolts with extra long screws in the plates, good outdoor lighting, etc. Making sure your car doors stay locked (when in OR out of the car), and not leaving valuable stuff in the seats where they are visible will minimize car crime. The best you can do is to use common sense and go the preventative route regardless of where in the metro area you live in.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM

563 posts, read 2,508,943 times
My .20 cents:

I'm from South Florida. I was born and raised in Miami, and lived in Pembroke Pines for 2 years until I moved here. I can tell you--the crime here in the nicer suburbs is not as bad as it is in South Florida. My entire family still lives there, and I read the Miami Herald and the Sun-Sentinel on a regular basis, so I know what's been going on lately.

With that being said, crime occurs anywhere--but in comparison to South Florida RIGHT NOW, Gwinnett County is a model city. Just take the same precautions that you would back in South Florida, and you'll be fine.

And for the record, I love Atlanta and would NEVER go back to South Florida! It's so much better up here, in more ways than one!

I hope this helps!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:13 PM

985 posts, read 5,224,478 times
Make sure to avoid Gwinnett village area (part of Lawrenceville, Lilburn and Norcorss), the southern part of Gwinnett, you should be ok. Also try to live in city limit. City police does wonderful job while county police is somewhat understaff.

According to Gwinnett village cid, it says 12.3 percent of the county’s population lives in Gwinnett Village. In 2006 it has accounted for 43 percent Gwinnett County’s prostitution-related arrests, 32 percent of drug distribution cases and 33 percent of armed robberies.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
My .20 cents:

I'm from South Florida. I was born and raised in Miami, and lived in Pembroke Pines for 2 years until I moved here. I can tell you--the crime here in the nicer suburbs is not as bad as it is in South Florida. My entire family still lives there, and I read the Miami Herald and the Sun-Sentinel on a regular basis, so I know what's been going on lately.

With that being said, crime occurs anywhere--but in comparison to South Florida RIGHT NOW, Gwinnett County is a model city. Just take the same precautions that you would back in South Florida, and you'll be fine.

And for the record, I love Atlanta and would NEVER go back to South Florida! It's so much better up here, in more ways than one!

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Dove, that does help alot....especially coming from someone who knows what its like where I am. I realize that crime is everywhere and I certainly don't have unrealistic expectations of completely avoiding it, however, if I choose the right neighborhood, adhere to advice such as that provided by atlanta greg (thank you, greg!), I can at least minimize my chances of me or my family being victimized by crime. I just want to make sure that I am not compromising the safety of my family for a professional move. Yes the cost of living is better, topography is more to my liking, change of seasons, etc., but nothing is worth compromising the safety of my family.

I would even be willing to drive a bit farther out for less crime, more land, and cheaper housing. Suwanee looks pretty nice. I am very impressed with Riverside Elementary school which was listed as a school of excellence a year or two ago. Also, my job would require that I be there at 7 am so I would expect to miss the bulk of the traffic going in (at least according to Georgia Navigator.....cool website).

Any thoughts on Suwanee??

Thanks again all!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Make sure to avoid Gwinnett village area (part of Lawrenceville, Lilburn and Norcorss), the southern part of Gwinnett, you should be ok. Also try to live in city limit. City police does wonderful job while county police is somewhat understaff.

According to Gwinnett village cid, it says 12.3 percent of the county’s population lives in Gwinnett Village. In 2006 it has accounted for 43 percent Gwinnett County’s prostitution-related arrests, 32 percent of drug distribution cases and 33 percent of armed robberies.
Great advice JXU, thanks. I'll remember to check to see if we are in the city limits. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or