Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM

8 posts, read 21,040 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate some help and guidance as I don't know where to start on my home search in Atlanta. My wife and I will be relocating in the next 2-4 months so we really need to start limiting our search down soon. She has been absolutely awesome supporting me in 3 moves over the last 4 years to progress the career with my company, so I feel an obligation to make a home choice that she will be absolutely delighted with despite her not being a big fan of Atlanta (see background). Would like to settle down and be happy here for 4-5 years. I work out of a home office and she can work anywhere so we have the whole city open to us as an option.

Background:
Relocating back to Atlanta after a 2-1/2 year stay in Birmingham, AL. We had a short 6 month term in Suwanee, GA right before the Alabama stay and frankly we hated it!!!! I did sales all over the city and she worked in Norcross so between the two of us, we sat in stop n' go traffic for 5-6 hours a day and never really had a chance to enjoy life, let alone the many things metro Atlanta had to offer since we were afraid to leave the house once we finally made it back in for the night. Because of this 6 month experience, my wife is "scarred" and has a very pessimistic view of being able to be happy with a move back to ATL. However, I have been living in a Vinings area apartment for the last 3 months and love it, less congestion, lots to do closeby. Makes me think we can be happy here... just need to find the right place in our budget.

Budget: $150k to $200k

Needs: Single Family Home, .25+ acre yard, 2-Car garage, 4 Bed/2 Bath (or 3/2 with Basement/Office), Safe/Family-friendly neighborhood,

Wants/Goals: minimize everyday traffic/congestion, enjoy the outdoors: Lakes, Trails, Mts., Parks, etc., Deck, Porch, etc. Good Schools, Resale potential 3-5 years out. Close to a choice of Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Gyms, Retail venues, etc.

Areas: Anything up 85N Corridor is out of the question. Traffic is by far the worst in Atlanta on 85 and in all the suburbs off of it. The following are the areas we are thinking about, but we are having a hard time limiting it down. These seem to be the areas that have homes that meet our needs and that we can afford...

-Mableton/Smyrna area
-Dallas/Hiram/Powder Springs area
-Marietta
-Kennesaw/Acworth area
-Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton area
-Cumming
-Snellville, Loganville, Grayson area
-Fayetteville/Newnan/Peachtree City area

Any and All Feedback to help us make a decision is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions and God Bless!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Is your wife going to be working? I think that for her sake, you should rent until she finds a job, that way perhaps she can avoid a terrible commute....

Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 AM

63 posts, read 215,339 times
we too have been looking for homes after selling our condo in vinings.. we decided on east cobb mainly for schools (even though our son is just one) We looked in woodstock but were looking more in the 250-300 range.. we ran across some very nice homes for 200 they have everything up there although it is far from town..you might like it homes are new and they have nice commuities.. but if your wife is not working in that area don't move there.. traffic on 575-75 can be a killer

Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC1283 View Post
Areas: Anything up 85N Corridor is out of the question. Traffic is by far the worst in Atlanta on 85 and in all the suburbs off of it. The following are the areas we are thinking about, but we are having a hard time limiting it down. These seem to be the areas that have homes that meet our needs and that we can afford...

-Mableton/Smyrna area
-Marietta
-Kennesaw/Acworth area
-Cumming
-Snellville, Loganville, Grayson area

Any and All Feedback to help us make a decision is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions and God Bless!!!
I think you have made a good start--realistic expectations on commuting, etc.

Snellville, Loganville, Grayson are involved in the Athens commute area--I think it is '316' or maybe '361'. At any rate several times I have been through there and traffic gets pretty intense --does it stay this way for long periods? I don't know.

Cumming would be in the I85 commute--there are some other routes. Peachtree Industrial/Buford Hwy, perhaps but you would need to be certain how the traffic flows.
I don't know how things are going in Buford but from a brief tour it looked like it had the potential to become an interesting place. The area around Buford would involve some of the traffic your wife wishes to avoid.

Vinings and the surrounding area, places I know little about might be better, particularly if you enjoy walking/hiking trails--not too far away is the Silver Comet Trail and you could get away to the mountains of NW GA without too much traffic, I think. I wouldn't attempt to live near the Barrett Parkway if I valued my life. Maybe I go at times when the lunatics are out but it is white-knuckle time for me when I drive over there.

GA Recreation Areas>>>
Georgia Trails and Greenways, Rail Trails, and guide to hiking, biking, and trail riding

Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
At first I would suggest the West Cobb area, about 3-4 or so miles North of the actual town limits of Powder Springs - around the area of the "Avenue of West Cobb" shopping area. Nice area and growing but not completely overgrown (yet, anyway) compared to some areas. Good schools if that matters, shopping/restaurant options. Straight shot along Hwy 120 to Marietta Square to the East, but also not far from the Kennesaw area, so it gives you a lot of shopping/dining and job zones not far.

The one problem might be the budget. In that area pretty much all new construction is going to start in the $249,000.00 range and go steadily up from there, with even the "ranch condo" things go for over $215,000.00. However, there are still some older 1960s/70s brick ranch style homes scattered around here and there, so a good realtor would hopefully be able to steer you toward one. In this market no doubt there are deals in the area if you look.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:10 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
I would agree with Greg. All of these comments are contingent upon your wife not commuting to Norcross. Acworth/Kennesaw might be my #1 depending on whether or not you can find something you like for that price.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
You can get all of that up in Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton, though probably not brand new. Other than that, I'd say it's a great choice- good schools, and not as overbuilt as some of the other areas on your list.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 21,040 times
Thanks for all the feedback...from the sounds of it, I should eliminate the Grayson/Snellville/Loganville area and Cumming since it is basically off 85...thought the route 78 to I285 would allow a bypass to the first. The Avenue of West Cobb sounds nice...we will check out this weekend. How does the I75 traffic compare to I85...doesn't seem nearly as bad.

My wife works in the pet industry...currently a vet tech, returning to school for grooming to expand her skills. She will be able to get a job whereever we decide to live...a luxury, but then again doesn't help limiting the choices down!

As far as good schools...no kids yet; with one in the plans for next year. This doesn't make the school quality that important. However, for resale value and overall desirability of the neighborhood should we have to move again, I consider the schools a pretty good insurance policy.

New Updated List based off feedback....
-Mableton/Smyrna area
-Marietta
-Kennesaw/Acworth area

Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC1283 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback...from the sounds of it, I should eliminate the Grayson/Snellville/Loganville area and Cumming since it is basically off 85...thought the route 78 to I285 would allow a bypass to the first. The Avenue of West Cobb sounds nice...we will check out this weekend. How does the I75 traffic compare to I85...doesn't seem nearly as bad.

My wife works in the pet industry...currently a vet tech, returning to school for grooming to expand her skills. She will be able to get a job whereever we decide to live...a luxury, but then again doesn't help limiting the choices down!

As far as good schools...no kids yet; with one in the plans for next year. This doesn't make the school quality that important. However, for resale value and overall desirability of the neighborhood should we have to move again, I consider the schools a pretty good insurance policy.

New Updated List based off feedback....
-Mableton/Smyrna area
-Marietta
-Kennesaw/Acworth area
Based on the parameters you put out there in the first place, I think you're on the right track. My sister lives in Acworth and really likes it there.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
I think in the price range you are listing you are going to have to either find a foreclosure to stay close or move fairly far out. Cumming and Canton are in the price range. Traffic, as you know, is abysmal and isn't likely to improve. I can tell you without reservation it hasn't gotten any better since you left?

You work out of the home, congrats. Based on that alone, you are money ahead. The wife sounds like she will have to endure the commutes, again. It's just part of the deal.

Think about resale. The newer areas are up and coming, crime is lower than in Vinings and the areas up North continue to grow in value. Besides, if the job ever changes (imagine that in this economy...hmmmmm) you will want to be located centrally to avoid ridiculous commutes.

Ga 400 corridor does that for you and for the record, I used to be part owner of a door-to-door shuttle company in North Atlanta. Hate to break it to you folks but you know how the highways REALLY stack up??? I-75 is the worst due to I-575 feeds/Hwy 5/41 feeds, I-85 is second...yep, despite what all the well wishers in Gwinnett say, and Ga 400 is a close 3rd but a straighter shot. That's coming from a guy who had vehicles operating 20 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year on these very highways.

Those that tell you otherwise are kidding themselves.

Some other points to remember:

Property taxes. Low everywhere by national standards but for the narrow minded let me help you. Gwinnett's mill rate is about .002 cents less than Fulton. That's right folks. Last checked, their mill rate was about .042/44 vs .045/46....Cobb is right there as well. Want to save on taxes? Live in an UNINCORPORATED area (Alpharetta city has a significant tax but not crippling) and probably in Cherokee or Forsyth County. Forsyth used to have THE lowest mill rate going. Fully 1/2 less than Fulton.

But, you have to balance that with commute time and gas. Assuming a North Fulton resident has a 4k tax load and Forsyth has a 2k tax load you have roughly a $175/month difference? Gee, what's gas cost? What does it cost now? So that extra 15-20 mile one-way commute costs you/wife roughly $3.69 (Qwik Trip's price today) EACH way????? $8 per day.....$40 per week, $160 per month NOT counting wear and tear on both you and the car???? I think you get the picture.

This massive savings by living out is a pure myth. You are kidding yourself. Let's not forget all those things you say you want to enjoy? Well, if you live out, the cost in time and gas is going to make those a myth as well. "C'mon kids, we are loading up on the way to the aquarium".....1.5 hours later, voila, you are there.......yeah, right. NOT!

Better give this North Central thing some thought my friend. Welcome back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta