Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:52 AM

26 posts, read 37,438 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in Southern California and I am starting to look for another state to move my family. The lifestyle here is getting to hectic, superficial and increasingly more expensive to raise a family with four kids. I read a report on the net that rated Peachtree City Georgia as a top place to live. I work in the finance/accounting profession and need to be close to an area that has mid/large size companies within a 30-45 minute commute.

Can anybody give me any info on Peachtree? How are the schools? What are the neighborhoods like? Are people friendly? What the realistic commute time to Atlanta? Should I even consider moving there? Are there any other areas I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Cali dude.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 06:15 AM

10 posts, read 57,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijalumik
Hi,
I currently live in Southern California and I am starting to look for another state to move my family. The lifestyle here is getting to hectic, superficial and increasingly more expensive to raise a family with four kids. I read a report on the net that rated Peachtree City Georgia as a top place to live. I work in the finance/accounting profession and need to be close to an area that has mid/large size companies within a 30-45 minute commute.

Can anybody give me any info on Peachtree? How are the schools? What are the neighborhoods like? Are people friendly? What the realistic commute time to Atlanta? Should I even consider moving there? Are there any other areas I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Cali dude.....
Hi Cali dude,

Peachtree City is a planned city that was started in the early 70's. Initially, I believe it was settled by Delta and the now defunct Eastern Airlines employees who were wanting to have a nice place to live that would be close to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

Peachtree City is a lovely place with lots of shopping areas. They've included small lanes in most areas to accommodate golf carts and walkers so getting around the area is easy. The people are friendly and the schools are probably better than most schools in Georgia. I would think they are certainly better than most school systems in the Metro area! Still, in general, to receive the best education, private schools are probably the best choice.

Now that is the good, here are the bad and the ugly about the south metro area! There is no realistic commute in metro Atlanta. The drive that takes 45 minutes today, may take an hour and 45 minutes tomorrow! We, in metro Atlanta like to joke that there is no rush hour in Metro Atlanta because the traffic is heavy all day long.

There is no interstate located near Peachtree City and to get on I-75, you would have to first drive to Newnan and get on I-85 and then merge on I-75 to drive to Atlanta. That would be quite a distance and out of the way, although I am sure many do this just to have the privilege of living in Peachtree City.

Here's the ugly! To drive in Metro Atlanta, one takes their life in one's own hands! The drivers in the Atlanta area are some of the rudest and worst in my driving experience! They will close up the gap if you signal that you need to change lanes. They are notorious for running red lights and I am not talking about just one of two who accelerate and run through lights, sometimes four or five cars will cruise though a red light, so you must never proceed into an intersection until you see that all the cars have stopped! This is a huge problem in metro Atlanta.

It's equally dangerous to stop on the yellow because the driver behind you may have plans to accelerate and run through the light. I've been hit in the rear many times in the past few years because of my own attempt a being a law abiding citizen.

We also seem to have an abundance of drivers who just do not know how to drive and don't look behind them before they back up. I like to say my car has a cloaking device because I have had drivers back into my car three times in the past year! (once in a parking lot, once at a fast food drive thru and once at a stop sign when the driver apparently put the transmission into R for race and backed up instead of moving forward!) At each instance, I was stopped behind them! Apparently my car is invisible to some people, although it is a full size Ford!

Lastly, the drivers in the Metro Atlanta area will flip you the 'bad finger' at ever opportunity when they feel you have done them a wrong by changing lanes. They seem to believe the morning commute is a video game and you make points by passing as many cars as you possibly can, no matter if you cut others off in the process. Because of the heavy traffic, bad drivers and the many car accidents, the car insurance rates are outrageous here!

Although Peachtree City is lovely itself, I would mention that it does not have a wall around it to keep the criminal element out! It is just like most other Metro Atlanta areas! Be forwarned and armed!

If you plan on working in Atlanta, probably Peachtree City may not be your best choice due to the horrendous commute and the close proximity to notorious Fulton and Clayton Counties!

Your better choice might be north of Atlanta, maybe Cherokee County! Maybe someone can give you some information on life in that area, but I have heard that is is a nice area and the commute south bound is easier.

I don't mean to discourage you from migrating to this area. This is just my opinion and I am just being honest. If you currenly live near a large city in California such as Los Angeles, you probably are familiar with all of the problems that I mentioned. Good luck with finding a good and safe area to work, live and play.

k. bart

Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 AM

26 posts, read 37,438 times
Hi k. bart,
Thanks for the insightful and colorful information you gave on Peachtree and the commuting environment. Living in SoCal, I can relate to the constant traffic and the rude and aggressive driving behaviors on the highways. I suppose that’s to be expected in any metropolitan area.

I'll post a question on another thread for nice areas north of Atlanta.

Thanks again…..Cali dude

Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 19,806 times
Default Another View on PTC

While I do agree with the previous posts about driving in Atlanta and yes, some in PTC I don't think it's any different than most of the country right now. Pitty....

There are locations in Peachtree City where the commute time to the southern part of Atlanta would not be that bad. I can make it to Hartsfield from the intersection of highway 54 and 74 in Peachtree City going up highway 74 in about 20 minutes. (I just took my sister to the airport yesterday at 8:00 a.m.).

I live south of Peachtree City and can make it to Buckhead in one hour flat. While it is true that we can have horrible traffic in Atlanta, my experience is that it's been on 285 or up Georgia 400. I have lived here since 1986 and have traveled at differing times of the day.

Please, at least look at this area before you blow it off!!!!

Post back if I can answer any more questions!

Old 04-30-2006, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,222 times
Hi I live in Newnan Ga about 10 miles from PTC; I travel to Atlanta daily to work; I leave early 6:am to avoid the traffic rush. At times it is a bit too much but on the other end as far as "coming home" it is worth it. The flip side due to the gas prices as you know, it can become costly; PTC is a beautiful area. Good Luck

Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM

117 posts, read 392,128 times
Peachtree what?

Peachtree Street? Peachtree City?

Have you looked at Virginia?

Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 PM

117 posts, read 392,128 times
Default Good Old Peachtree City

Originally Posted by k. bart
Hi Cali dude,

Peachtree City is a planned city that was started in the early 70's. Initially, I believe it was settled by Delta and the now defunct Eastern Airlines employees who were wanting to have a nice place to live that would be close to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

[color="Purple"]-- The origins of Peachtree City are as follows, any Airlines notwithstanding:

"The Game of Peachtree City" and Sallie Satterthwaite < http://www.peachcity.com/index.php?c...655&pr=Peachtr ee_City_History --if link disallowed>

The fact that Peachtree City is a planned community means that someone had to do the planning. In 1956 Earl Denny and Golden Pickett were looking for property and found a promising stretch of land in western Fayette County. In 1957 Pete Knox, a manufacturer of prefab homes, envisioned a community planned for its residents. He challenged Joel Cowan, a junior at Georgia Tech, to gather the land discovered by Denny and Pickett. Cowan, a Cartersville native, took the challenge and found the means to buy 15,000 acres worth of forests, swamps and used-up farmland. With no money to pay engineers, Cowan took the advice of local farmers and dammed Flat Creek to create Lake Peachtree. He then rode a bulldozer through the woods to cut Hip Pocket Road and provide access to lakefront property. The James Fulton II family were the first to move in.

-- if you want more info, go the site for Execusoft Controls, and go to the Favorite Links.

[COLOR]

Peachtree City is a lovely place with lots of shopping areas.

-- ah yes, shopping areas fast wiping out the trees. We don't need oxygen.

They've included small lanes in most areas to accommodate golf carts and walkers so getting around the area is easy.

-- These lanes are planned and paved golf cart paths, available for use by pedestrians and cyclists.

The people are friendly
-- If you're neither lower to middle class AND associated with the stock market, an airline, or golfing. Normal people dont' have a chance in that town.

and the schools are probably better than most schools in Georgia.
-- Definitely better:
PTC teen commits suicide
Mon, 02/06/2006 - 3:02pmBy: John Munford
For the second week in a row, McIntosh High School is in mourning after losing another student to suicide.

Ashleigh Webster, 17, was found dead in her home late Friday evening, said her father, Bill Webster. A senior at McIntosh, she got good grades and her modeling career was just starting to take off, Mr. Webster said.

Ashleigh had anger issues but not to the point where her parents considered seeking counseling, her father said.

Ashleigh was one of four daughters Bill Webster and his wife, Victoria had adopted. Her funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Dogwood Church in Tyrone.

Now that is the good, here are the bad and the ugly about the south metro area! There is no realistic commute in metro Atlanta. The drive that takes 45 minutes today, may take an hour and 45 minutes tomorrow!

-- Unless you get lucky enough to work a night shift and avoid the traffic, but no carpool or express bus service acknowleges such workers in a 24-hour society.

k. bart

Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 100,789 times
Default Golf carters...

Be aware...the golf cart drivers in PTC are just as bad as the drivers in cars. I've had them flat pull out in front of me...guess they've forgotten they're not in the Excursion/Yukon/Surburban they left at home!

If you're looking for friendly in PTC, you'd better have the bucks to pay for it!

Old 06-05-2006, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 42,275 times
[moderator CUT] I have lived and worked here for the last 11 years. Takes 20 minutes to the airport, 45 minutes to Phillips Arena in downtown Atlanta. Trying to get to the perimeter out of Cherokee will take you an easy hour in rush hour. Check you stats [CUT].

Last edited by Marka; 06-06-2006 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 AM

15 posts, read 64,771 times
Wow, I'm kinda scared of Peachtree City!! Glad I'm not looking there! These are the kind of opinions and information that I need about moving to Cumming (Forsyth County). I have to admit, I hope it's a bit more uplifting :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta