Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM

16 posts, read 48,547 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,
I lived in MIA for 20 years of my life but I moved to ATL 3 years ago. I must say that ATL is cheaper to buy but the pay rate is pretty low. When the real estate boomed in MIA several years ago, my fiancee and I decided to leave and head north. That's how we ended up here.

I have a 4/2.5 two story, 2,500 sq ft house with double garage. I love my home but I noticed the housing has dropped severly in MIA. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to sell my house here & move back to my hometown in the 305?

Please do not be shy, I'm here to listen to all commentaries & suggestions.

Cheers,
KC in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_atl View Post
Hello guys,
I lived in MIA for 20 years of my life but I moved to ATL 3 years ago. I must say that ATL is cheaper to buy but the pay rate is pretty low. When the real estate boomed in MIA several years ago, my fiancee and I decided to leave and head north. That's how we ended up here.

I have a 4/2.5 two story, 2,500 sq ft house with double garage. I love my home but I noticed the housing has dropped severly in MIA. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to sell my house here & move back to my hometown in the 305?

Cheers,
KC in Atlanta

I, myself, would not live in the Miami area. For that matter, I would not live in the entire State of Florida with the one possible exception being Gainesville.

At one point in time I did live in Florida, so I do have familarity with the state a bit.

Changing climatic conditions and global warming may adversersly affect the State of Florida for decades. The Sunshine State seems to have little sun these days. The real-estate sector, especially in Miami, is having lots of problems.

If you have family members living in Miami, that might change the equation a bit. Sometimes you can't put a price on having family close by. Paying more money for a house, or yearly expenditures, may be justified.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
It depends on how bad you want to come back. If you only moved to Atlanta to get a big house, and just a change of pace, sure come back.

I would realistically tell you NO! But I dont know what your situation is like. Will you lose on the house you bought up there? Do you really crave Miami? All questions, you have the answers to. If things were working out for me in Ga, that's if I were you, I would not leave. If you are miserable, by all means, move

Now about South Florida, it is true that house prices are going down, and insurance rates as well (I'm praying another hurricane does not hit). But you have many people leaving, and the quality of life is not what it was or cracked up to be. The pay is not great either, so you dont have much leverage there either. It all depends on what will work for you and your mate. If you both want to head south, by all means do so..I sure would not...that's if I were up there, and had no reasons to. I have quite a bit of friends and relatives, young and old, Black, White and latino that made the move to GA, and would not move back down here for anything (except the latino friend, that does not like it up there, since it's nothing like Miami for her, and wants to move back. I dont know what would have given her the impression this was going to be another Miami in the first place ..). That's a choice you and your mate have to make though. So far, without exception, everyone tells me their dollar stretches farther up there than it did down here, and have many good things to say about it there, more good than bad. Best of luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Can I ask if you are confident you can sell your home here? The market seems soft to me in many places and it sounds like you are firmly in surburbia here. Many experts are advising not to sell your house right now unless you really have to.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Sounds like your line of work doesn't pay well enough to justify staying here, so if that's the case, you may consider leaving. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Miami, but that doesn't mean it's the wrong decision for you.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,930 times
Quote:
Hello guys,

Cheers,
KC in Atlanta
Normally a similar job pays more in Atlanta.

Most folks I talk to are looking to leave South Florida and move to Atlanta due to better job opportunites and lower property taxes.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Normally a similar job pays more in Atlanta.
Is that true even if you factor in Georgia's state income tax?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Hello guys,

Cheers,
KC in Atlanta

You state that you love your home. Please be aware that not every homeowner can make such an affirmative statement.

You've lived in this home for three years and apparently it was fairly well-built; ( shoddy construction hasn't surfaced yet--that's a good sign); I assume you like the floor plan; and it's a nice-sized home being 2,500 square-feet.

From a housing standpoint, I would stay in Atlanta. Who really knows, but there's no guarantees you will love your new Miami home. None! Finding a home you love involves luck to some degree. Sometimes you get lucky in life but most people can only push luck so far. Sooner, or later, your lucky streak is going to run out.

In a very down real-estate market, such as Miami, builders might be cutting a few/or lots of corners to save a buck.

Your age is a factor. If you're pushing 40, companies may be less inclined to hire you in a very competitive job market.

If you don't speak Spanish living in Miami-Dade County, that would be a negative.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
You state that you love your home. Please be aware that not every homeowner can make such an affirmative statement.

You've lived in this home for three years and apparently it was fairly well-built; ( shoddy construction hasn't surfaced yet--that's a good sign); I assume you like the floor plan; and it's a nice-sized home being 2,500 square-feet.

From a housing standpoint, I would stay in Atlanta. Who really knows, but there's no guarantees you will love your new Miami home. None! Finding a home you love involves luck to some degree. Sometimes you get lucky in life but most people can only push luck so far. Sooner, or later, your lucky streak is going to run out.

In a very down real-estate market, such as Miami, builders might be cutting a few/or lots of corners to save a buck.

Your age is a factor. If you're pushing 40, companies may be less inclined to hire you in a very competitive job market.

If you don't speak Spanish living in Miami-Dade County, that would be a negative.

Good luck!

They're hardly building here. South Florida market will take a while to recover. Plus, if for any crazy reason you still want to move down here, you're better off buying a house built sometime in the mid to late 90s, because the new ones are small, dont offer any yard (worse than 90s built homes, and those are horrible) and still overpriced. Good luck on whatever decision you make....Just think about it, for a good while. Dont rush, none of these houses are going anywhere...

Old 08-16-2008, 05:57 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Moved from Cooper City in Jan 07. We are the poster child for someone selling a home and making money. I would never pay what the people paid for our house. Last time I checked on zillow, the house is valued about 100,000 under what they paid for. And they financed 100%. Ouch. Granted I take zillow with a grain of salt,but it is an estimate.

You still need to state why you are thinking of moving.

Even with the GA state income tax, we are doing better here than S. Fla.

I can honestly say that I don't miss it there, except for friends and some family.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta