U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,215,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
A significant portion of the projects in the GRIP program are pork where there isn't enough demand to warrant road widenings.
I remember reading a detailed list of where funds went awhile back.

Quitman, GA, about 15 miles west of Valdosta, got almost half a million to landscape the median downtown. Its a stretch about 400 yards long. Where the money went I have no clue, because its still the same as it ever was. I sent many letters and e-mails to state congressman asking about the money and never received a reply.

The city did rebuild the downtown sidewalks about 12-14 years ago; maybe they were just getting 'repaid' for that investment? I have no clue.

They've been promising a 4-lane highway from valdosta to moultire to albany for over 10 years now, and the only progress they've made is sending another survey crew out every year. They're doing the same work, over, and over; its almost as if they keep them out there just to make it look like they're getting ready to work on it.

The 2-lane stretch we have now is extremely dangerous; its very hilly and has a lot of blind curves. There have been an abnormal amount of crashes and fatalities on the road, and their only solution was to add a couple of passing lanes and hope people will drive 20 minutes to the next passing lane before making an attempt to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta